Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Wiki Permission Chart - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Wiki Permission Chart

#16 User is offline Scarred Sun 

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:39 PM

• Rise and shine, ya sleepy layabouts.
  • Project:Staying woke
  • Wiki edits:36,091
Well, the thing is that what happened wasn't exactly uploading, per se, but the reversion of image files. I would think that rollback being blocked would prevent that, but I guess we'll have to look into blocking those as well.

Argh.

#17 User is offline Volpino 

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:16 PM

• Things are looking up!
  • Project:A secret. >:3
  • Wiki edits:16
I'm a little bit confused about something, I'm not trying to argue this or anything, but why can oldies do some things normal members can't? Isn't being an oldie only if you can offer solid evidence you've been a Sonic fan since before 2003?

#18 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:24 PM

• Sonic Hacking Contest Lead Organiser
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:2,193
Because they're higher than members and can be trusted with powers that can be abused by normal members?
Most users don't use these features, but it does help when no one else is around.

#19 User is offline Volpino 

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:58 PM

• Things are looking up!
QUOTE (SOTI @ Apr 22 2010, 03:24 PM)
Because they're higher than members and can be trusted with powers that can be abused by normal members?
Most users don't use these features, but it does help when no one else is around.

That's what I was asking: What makes someone who can prove they were a Sonic fan since before 2003 any more trustworthy than someone who hasn't, or can't prove they were?

#20 User is offline STHX 

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:04 PM

• SEGAAAAAAAAA?!?
  • Project:Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
  • Wiki edits:31
I'm not sure you have to prove you're a Sonic fan. I think they mean you have to prove you have been in the Sonic scene since 2003. Like being a member of Retro for 5-7 years (maybe).

#21 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:51 PM

• Incineroar is the best
  • Project:Hacking some 8-bit Sonic game
  • Wiki edits:112
I thought being an oldbie meant that you were part of the scene before the creation of the S2Beta page.

#22 User is offline Volpino 

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:05 PM

• Things are looking up!
QUOTE (STHX @ Apr 22 2010, 04:04 PM)
I'm not sure you have to prove you're a Sonic fan. I think they mean you have to prove you have been in the Sonic scene since 2003. Like being a member of Retro for 5-7 years (maybe).

Oh. That makes more sense to me. I'll go with that.

#23 User is offline Frozen Nitrogen 

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:10 PM

• Wouldn't the door have been easier?
  • Project:Wiki general
  • Wiki edits:6,025
QUOTE (Volpino @ Apr 22 2010, 08:58 PM)
That's what I was asking: What makes someone who can prove they were a Sonic fan since before 2003 any more trustworthy than someone who hasn't, or can't prove they were?

Because ageism is entrenched within our fine Sonic Retro society? Longevity implies reliability, and reliability makes for the good editin'.

It's not something which requires much fretting about, Volpino; few oldbies edit the wiki with any kind of regularity or verve anyway, so you won't find them utilising their 1337 Usergroup Powerz to oppress the small, defenceless Members.

#24 User is offline 0r4ng3 

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:52 PM

• Wiki edits:708
QUOTE (Volpino @ Apr 23 2010, 12:05 AM)

The only thing that I've missed while editing was move pages around, because I'm always putting a letter where it shouldn't or forgetting to add g on png. The table looks balanced to me and I'm sure that giving move to normal members would probably give more grief than benefict. Just put {{move}} on the beginning of the page. Speaking about that, can't that template have something like the ones for images to be replaced, like {{replace|reason=blah blah}}?

#25 User is offline Frozen Nitrogen 

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:09 AM

• Wouldn't the door have been easier?
  • Project:Wiki general
  • Wiki edits:6,025
QUOTE (0r4ng3 @ Apr 23 2010, 02:52 AM)
The only thing that I've missed while editing was move pages around, because I'm always putting a letter where it shouldn't or forgetting to add g on png. The table looks balanced to me and I'm sure that giving move to normal members would probably give more grief than benefict. Just put {{move}} on the beginning of the page. Speaking about that, can't that template have something like the ones for images to be replaced, like {{replace|reason=blah blah}}?

What do you mean; you just want a "Reason" field to be able to fill in on the Move Page template?

#26 User is offline Irixion 

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:09 AM

• Project:Life
  • Wiki edits:152
QUOTE (Volpino @ Apr 22 2010, 07:05 PM)

Does this mean there will never be any 'new' oldbies? I mean, I only got here in 2004 so....>_>

#27 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:30 PM

The criteria for oldbies is definitively set in stone. If you make it a relative achievement, this means that every member will inevitably get the rank, making it redundant.

#28 User is offline 0r4ng3 

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:48 PM

• Wiki edits:708
QUOTE (Frozen Nitrogen @ Apr 23 2010, 12:09 PM)
QUOTE (0r4ng3 @ Apr 23 2010, 02:52 AM)

What do you mean; you just want a "Reason" field to be able to fill in on the Move Page template?

Yes, it saves time and space, for both move and now that I think of it, remove (who knows what else). The reasons are given without editing a new talk page (most of the time), and the sysops don't have to scratch their heads wondering why should it moved when there's no reason in the talk page involved. Once the action is done, it's only needed to delete the template line of the article. It's an easy thing to implement (two lines I think) but the sysops/admins might prefer an explanation in the talk page instead of explained in the article (I suppose it'd look more professional), so that's why I'm asking if that modification is possible.

#29 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:11 PM

• Sonic Hacking Contest Lead Organiser
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:2,193
The move template needs rewritten anyway. Look at the image replace template and modify it to your needs.

#30 User is offline Mainman 

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:22 PM

• Dancing to some sort of Apocalyptic Rave
  • Project:'Sonic the Comic' research & documentation
  • Wiki edits:298
(Bringing the topic back to the table in the first post...) You may want to split the 'Upload' row into two headings; Under 5MB and Over 5MB.

The reason it deserves clarification is that, as I found out when I messaged Frozen Nitrogen about an MP3 upload, even a Wiki Sysop can't circumvent this limit. Only the root-level Administrators have the rights.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users