Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) - WARNING, SPOILERS - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 660 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) - WARNING, SPOILERS Developed by Christian Whitehead, Headcannon and PagodaWest

#3691 User is offline Tribeam 

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:45 AM

• I code Lua and Lua accessories
My uneducated guess would be that FBZ acts as a segway level between 2 islands/games...or it could be just another level in the lineup...guess we'll find out in 10 months!
This post has been edited by Tribeam: 19 March 2017 - 08:46 AM

#3692 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:51 AM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostAshura96, on 19 March 2017 - 08:07 AM, said:

If they really want FBZ Act 2 to shake things up, the ship should either crash/or be on the way down, or maybe this is one of the later levels in the game and the damn ship goes all the way up to the top of the atmosphere to segway the inevitable space level.

Other people have suggested setting the second act during a storm, like Sky Base or Sky Deck, which would be really awesome in my opinion. Lightning could definitely work alongside the new magnet gimmicks. Although the trash-chutes are an unexpected and interesting addition, so maybe they're going for that angle instead.

#3693 User is offline rata 

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:21 PM

• Project:Trying to be useful somehow.
Oh my, that background... I imagine it with Batman & Robin's amount of Parallax and I know it will rule.

#3694 User is offline True Dude 

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:26 PM

• Wiki edits:980
Maybe Wing Fortress will cameo during the map too?

#3695 User is online Bartman3010 

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:10 PM

• Wiki edits:96
Flying Battery looks pretty dang cool to me. It always the most exciting stage to me in Sonic & Knuckles, and if they can do things to alleviate those elevators, which were the worst part of the level from Sonic & Knuckles, I think I'd really enjoy it.

Also the foreground effects when you're outside the ship, being magnetized with the electric shield looks like it could make for some good "Gotcha!" surprises, this looks fine to me.

Some of you folks really should lighten up, holy shit.

#3696 User is offline RikohZX 

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:12 PM

View PostBartman3010, on 19 March 2017 - 07:10 PM, said:

Flying Battery looks pretty dang cool to me. It always the most exciting stage to me in Sonic & Knuckles, and if they can do things to alleviate those elevators, which were the worst part of the level from Sonic & Knuckles, I think I'd really enjoy it.

Also the foreground effects when you're outside the ship, being magnetized with the electric shield looks like it could make for some good "Gotcha!" surprises, this looks fine to me.

Some of you folks really should lighten up, holy shit.

Speaking of "Gotcha!", I'm curious what sort of plan they've got for any fakeouts like the capsule miniboss. We've already got Green Hill Zone's Act 1 miniboss putting a huge twist on the GHZ wrecking ball boss, but it's hard to try to predict just what they may do this time around.

#3697 User is offline Drex 

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:53 PM

• Lazy perfectionist

View PostOverlord, on 18 March 2017 - 06:13 PM, said:

For what it's worth Flying Battery is one of my favourite zones of S3&K, I'm really happy with the choice. Sandopolis, the zone immediately after, on the other hand is one of my least favourite. Fortunately thanks to Mirage Saloon it's a safe bet it ain't in Mania. =P

Looking at the background during the outdoor areas, I'm willing to bet that the next stage will be Sonic 3's rep Icecap Zone. Door snowboarding and all

#3698 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:02 AM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9

View PostDolphman, on 18 March 2017 - 10:13 PM, said:

Yeah, that effect for FBZ's interior background does remind me of the effect used in Jazz Jackrabbit 2. Where the sky BG is 3D behind the parallax layers.

It's an hblank interrupt trick where the vertical scrolling position of the background is modified each vertical line (on old consoles, at least. Something like this would be done with a shader I'm guessing in Sonic Mania).

#3699 User is offline ApocalypticSalad 

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:03 AM

View PostDrex, on 19 March 2017 - 11:53 PM, said:

Looking at the background during the outdoor areas, I'm willing to bet that the next stage will be Sonic 3's rep Icecap Zone. Door snowboarding and all

To me the background just looks like lots of clouds. Is there something that makes you think it's IceCap zone underneath?

#3700 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:35 AM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9

View PostApocalypticSalad, on 20 March 2017 - 01:03 AM, said:

View PostDrex, on 19 March 2017 - 11:53 PM, said:

To me the background just looks like lots of clouds. Is there something that makes you think it's IceCap zone underneath?

Ice Cap Zone was originally meant to follow Flying Battery Zone. You were supposed to snow board off of FBZ onto Ice Cap Zone. The original concept was for the snowboard to be a door from FBZ.

FBZ is actually a great zone for them to remake in Sonic Mania because it's the only zone in Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles that has no knuckles-specific paths, because he originally wasn't supposed to go to the zone at all. By remaking it in Sonic Mania, they can finally give Knuckles a proper version of the zone.
This post has been edited by Cooljerk: 20 March 2017 - 01:39 AM

#3701 User is offline Felik 

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:55 AM

• Wiki edits:1

View PostCooljerk, on 20 March 2017 - 01:35 AM, said:

FBZ is actually a great zone for them to remake in Sonic Mania because it's the only zone in Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles that has no knuckles-specific paths, because he originally wasn't supposed to go to the zone at all. By remaking it in Sonic Mania, they can finally give Knuckles a proper version of the zone.

Considering that none of the levels shown so far have any considerable Knuckles-specific areas (if any at all, correct me if I'm wrong) I wouldn't be so optimistic about that.
Edit: Knuckles did have a different starting point in Mirage Saloon though so who knows.
This post has been edited by Felik: 20 March 2017 - 02:01 AM

#3702 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:34 AM

• Project:Sonic 2 HD, Sonic Maker
  • Wiki edits:111
They kept the grey ish light black on the foreground from Sonic 3&K rather than using (or adding) true black that they are using (like Sonic 2/2).

That's why it looks so off.
This post has been edited by Lapper: 20 March 2017 - 03:34 AM

#3703 User is online redhotsonic 

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:30 AM

• Also known as RHS
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24
Okay, question time. Seeming as there will be no Collector's edition on PC for us Europeans (what the hell?), I'm stuck between 2 choices:

a) Pre-order Sonic Mania Collector's edition on PC from Amazon.com (USA) and get it 4 days after release date (and pray it's not region locked) for £109 ($138).

or

b) Pre-order Sonic Mania Collector's edition on Xbox One from Amazon.co.uk (UK) for £79 ($98) and get it on release day, then buy Sonic Mania alone from Steam UK (I'm going to guess it'll be around £30 [$37]), and then sell the Xbox One key from the collector's edition on eBay?

What would you guys recommend? Or better yet, what have you PC European gamers decided to do? I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but I'm not going through 247 pages =P

#3704 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:22 AM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
The flying battery Zones new background reminds me of .... RANGER X's Stage 5 boss fight! @ 22:54 !

https://youtu.be/6GbuW1bZquQ?t=22m54s
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 20 March 2017 - 08:25 AM

#3705 User is offline big smile 

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:37 AM

@redhotsonic

I am from the UK and I am not bothering with the collector's edition. It doesn't offer anything interesting, especially for the price.
However, if I was in your position, I'd get the console version and buy the Steam key separately. That way, you don't have to worry about getting stung by customs, you'll get everything much quicker and you can sell the console key to make some extra money (although, I'd personally keep it as part of the set). It'll probably work out a little cheaper then getting the US version (especially as there will be no customs charges).

• 660 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

14 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Bing,
  2. Member: Caniad Bach,
  3. Yandex