Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Early 'Tails Skypatrol Footage' - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Early 'Tails Skypatrol Footage' Or, was this game originally a Mickey Mouse game?

#16 User is offline Prototype 

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:52 AM

Any clues as to what this system was?

#17 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:38 AM

• Wiki edits:27
Very interesting - good to see confirmation that Tails' SkyPatrol was a repurposed version of another game, albeit a specifically-made port of an otherwise unreleased title. For an entirely unreleased system, no less! = O

#18 User is offline Powpuck 

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:24 PM

I can't help but wonder if the contractual reason Boon Boon Kabun was canceled was due to Sega finally securing the entire rights to Tails' Skypatrol. It could explain why, a), the game never saw an actual GG hardware release outside Japan, and, b), why Sega has seen fit to republish TSP within compilations several times hence. (Royalties may also explain why Yoshi's Cookie has been delisted from Nintendo's digital services.)

As for what the mystery system was, I haven't got much clue. My first guess would be Epoch, who were in the handheld market with their Game Pocket Computer (aka, GamePokekon) which predates even Nintendo's Game Boy, but not nearly to the same level of success. My second is it was Bandai's system that they axed in favor of Gunpei Yokoi's WonderSwan. It could've been any of the entertainment industry's giants, really; the Game Boy pie was danged huge.
This post has been edited by Powpuck: 21 January 2019 - 04:28 PM

#19 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:20 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostPowpuck, on 21 January 2019 - 04:24 PM, said:

My second is it was Bandai's system that they axed in favor of Gunpei Yokoi's WonderSwan.

Where can we find any info about that?

#20 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:23 PM

• match up tails to the cards
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569
It seems to me that the Wonderswan started to become a thing in 1996 (taking until 1999 until it was released). Given the timing of Tails' Skypatrol's launch in April 1995, development for this so-called "X" system would have stopped during 1994 at the latest.

I'm not sure the numbers add up for it to be Bandai. But I don't know the company too well - it might be an entirely different scrapped system, as opposed to a proto-Wonderswan.

#21 User is offline ashthedragon 

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:50 PM

• Dragon Team
  • Project:Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
I've found more Boon Boon Kabun info and screenshots! The game was present at Spaceworld 2000 gamefloor. IGN made a review of it, but sadly it is not online and wayback machine has not archived it. But Ive found some japanese nintendo site that does have more screenshots of the game plus some description in japanese.
https://www.nintendo...cgb/page03.html

#22 User is offline Shoemanbundy 

Posted 26 January 2019 - 03:20 AM

• Project:selling shoes
  • Wiki edits:1
There's also this Famitsu page which has another screenshot.

https://www.famitsu....8/d08/sw02.html

Edit: Looks like Rlan beat me on the last page :v: Well, this is the source of that image at least.
This post has been edited by Shoemanbundy: 26 January 2019 - 03:22 AM

#23 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 26 January 2019 - 04:01 AM

• Wiki edits:4
So that was not a a prototype of Skypatrol, but was going to be a re-skin of Skypatrol five years after it released?
This post has been edited by Rika Chou: 26 January 2019 - 05:18 AM

#24 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 26 January 2019 - 05:41 AM

• Wiki edits:27

View PostRika Chou, on 26 January 2019 - 04:01 AM, said:

So that was not a a prototype of Skypatrol, but was going to be a re-skin of Skypatrol five years after it released?

I think that's correct - if I'm understanding correctly, there were three different versions:

• The original possibly-Mickey-Mouse version, for a scrapped handheld system
  • The Game Gear version, produced shortly after the original was cancelled, which became Tails' Skypatrol
  • The unreleased Game Boy Color version, produced 5 years later, known as Boon Boon Kabun

Interesting that, despite the fact that it sounds like the GG version's graphics were redrawn from scratch, the Pete-like enemy shows up in early footage of it. I wonder if the enemy characters were just redrawn versions of the originals, and nobody noticed until later in development that that one was based on a specific Disney character and needed changing?
This post has been edited by McAleeCh: 26 January 2019 - 06:21 AM

#25 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:21 AM

View PostMcAleeCh, on 26 January 2019 - 05:41 AM, said:

Interesting that, despite the fact that it sounds like the GG version's graphics were redrawn from scratch, the Pete-like enemy shows up in early footage of it. I wonde if the enemy characters were just redrawn versions of the originals, and nobody noticed until later in development that that one was based on a specific Disney character and needed changing?

To me it sounds like the graphics were copied over verbatim, then colorised and Sonic-ised after the fact.

Even though the game was completed, before they could put out even a press release, the entire X project was cancelled, so only those involved in it even knew it existed. To recoup some of the costs of developing the game, we were asked if we could get the game running on the Game Gear, which had similar specs to the X. Because the CPU was the same and the resolution was very close, I thought I could get the game running as-is on the Game Gear, so I started out making a translation API for the Game Gear hardware, and built an emulator to translate the monochrome data to GG character data. I think it took about two weeks to get it running, but the graphics were still monochrome, which obviously wouldn't fly on the color Game Gear.
The business team went to Sega, who decided to put Tails in the game. At that point, proper development on the Game Gear version started. The game itself was the same, but there were some changes in the world design to fit the license, if I remember right. By this point, I was working on Ristar for the Game Gear, and a different team handled Tails. They redrew the character graphics, added demo scenes and a training stage, and adjusted the game balance for the Game Gear hardware. The X version was actually a 1M ROM, and it was quite an ordeal packing the map data into that space. The GG version was 4M, so they had a ton of space to add things. There was so much space that the character data didn't even need to be compressed.

So Pete in the Game Gear version was probably just a placeholder until they finalised designs for replacement bosses.

I'm still drawing a blank on which Disney villain Carrotia could have replaced.

#26 User is offline Powpuck 

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:46 AM

The Disney villain Carrotia reminds me most of is Lena Hyena from Who Framed Roger Rabbit?. Mostly on account she uses projectile kisses, but also maybe 'cause she's supposed to be ugly (by Sonic universe standards, whatever those are) and boy-crazy. Frankly, she's my favorite of the lot because if it. She's certainly more memorable than the generic bear and wolf, not to mention Not-Grimhilde/Mizrabel.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if the player character was meant to be Dumbo and not Mickey. Both Dumbo and Tails are similar in more ways than one...

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users