Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania OST Download Purchase - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania OST Download Purchase

#1 User is offline lotzi 

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:34 PM

Is the OST for Sonic Mania available for purchase online? I looked on Amazon and the vinyl was the only thing available for purchase. Are there other places I can buy it from?

#2 User is offline MiSHiKiS 

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

Nah, as far as we know, it's only the vinyl. Althought there are Youtube videos that have the dl link for an unofficial soundtrack, though I'd recommend the Vinyl more for supporting's sake

#3 User is offline lotzi 

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:10 PM

View PostMiSHiKiS, on 21 October 2017 - 01:54 PM, said:

Nah, as far as we know, it's only the vinyl. Althought there are Youtube videos that have the dl link for an unofficial soundtrack, though I'd recommend the Vinyl more for supporting's sake

I want to support the Team for the awesome work they did on the game. Though I don't own a record player, so there would be no way for me to play it. It would be nice if they offered the OST as a digital purchase, so I can have mp3 files of it. I would totally give them my money if they did.

#4 User is offline Roller 

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:31 PM

Considering the Data Discs Vinyl release comes with a digital copy of a portion of the soundtrack, my personal hunch is that SEGA's under some sort of exclusivity agreement which literally prevents them from distributing a complete, pure digital for a certain amount of time. My best guess, if this were true - I don't have a deep understanding of contract law - is that it would expire either 3, 6, or 12 months after the release date of the game. Whether that'd count as console or the later PC one doesn't particularily matter, but...

The other possibility (that I like the idea of less) is that they don't want to pay the licensing fees to release all of the old, remastered tracks for what was supposed to be a relatively budget game, and the Data Discs release is the result of months of internal debate and compromise. I mean, Hydrocity...

#5 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:51 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204

View Postlotzi, on 21 October 2017 - 02:10 PM, said:

I want to support the Team for the awesome work they did on the game. Though I don't own a record player, so there would be no way for me to play it. It would be nice if they offered the OST as a digital purchase, so I can have mp3 files of it. I would totally give them my money if they did.

Well, you're in luck! The album comes with a download link for the contents of the record, both in MP3 & FLAC.

#6 User is offline lotzi 

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:11 PM

View PostOverlord, on 21 October 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:

Well, you're in luck! The album comes with a download link for the contents of the record, both in MP3 & FLAC.

That's kool. I wish you could buy the download only. But beggars can't be choosers.

#7 User is offline MiSHiKiS 

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:27 PM

View Postlotzi, on 21 October 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

That's kool. I wish you could buy the download only. But beggars can't be choosers.

I didnt know the album came with a download link, that's actually really neat! But look on the bright side, you could have the mp3 files themselves, AND a nice large piece of card art with a disc for collectors sake

#8 User is offline lotzi 

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:35 PM

View PostMiSHiKiS, on 21 October 2017 - 07:27 PM, said:

View Postlotzi, on 21 October 2017 - 03:11 PM, said:

I didnt know the album came with a download link, that's actually really neat! But look on the bright side, you could have the mp3 files themselves, AND a nice large piece of card art with a disc for collectors sake

You make a good point, but I'm not sure if I want to spend $40 on all that...

#9 User is online ICEknight 

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:47 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Yeah, no matter how you look at it, not having a cheaper "digital only" option is kind of baffling.

#10 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:33 PM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN
Also, unless I'm wrong, doesn't the download that comes with the vinyl only cover 16 of the total tracks? Only the ones that are actually on the Vinyl anyway.

I'm half wondering if Sega is waiting to release full Mania and Forces' OSTs together as one multi-disc "Phantom Ruby" album or some nonsense like that?

#11 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:07 PM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostSir_mihael, on 23 October 2017 - 03:33 PM, said:

Also, unless I'm wrong, doesn't the download that comes with the vinyl only cover 16 of the total tracks? Only the ones that are actually on the Vinyl anyway.

I'm half wondering if Sega is waiting to release full Mania and Forces' OSTs together as one multi-disc "Phantom Ruby" album or some nonsense like that?

Yeah, it only comes with the tracks that are included on the vinyl. The vinyl publisher, Data Discs, is only a relatively small company and most of their library is made up of SEGA game soundtracks. Mania did especially well for them - well enough to get a second run before the first run has even been shipped. I would buy a second half to the soundtrack in a heartbeat (and already got all three editions of the vinyl already). SEGA ought to do a full release, at least digitally if nothing else.

#12 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:44 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostBlue Blood, on 23 October 2017 - 04:07 PM, said:

(and already got all three editions of the vinyl already).

Scans for the wiki please.

#13 User is offline Becca 

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:41 AM

• Project:Hoping to begin working on Sonic-related tracks soon.
Didn't find out about this until today, otherwise I would've jumped on it immediately.
Shame that even the second release is sold out.
What're the odds there would be a third, ever?

Or at the very least, an FLAC download.

#14 User is online Casshern 

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:20 AM

View PostBecca, on 24 October 2017 - 01:41 AM, said:

Didn't find out about this until today, otherwise I would've jumped on it immediately.
Shame that even the second release is sold out.
What're the odds there would be a third, ever?

Or at the very least, an FLAC download.

It seems you can still get it through Amazon, but it's not releasing till next month.

http://amzn.to/2gyvpbw

#15 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:44 AM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostJaxTH, on 23 October 2017 - 06:44 PM, said:

View PostBlue Blood, on 23 October 2017 - 04:07 PM, said:

(and already got all three editions of the vinyl already).

Scans for the wiki please.

Totally forgot that I said I would do this. Okay.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users