Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania Plus SPOILER THREAD with UNMARKED spoilers! - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 25 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania Plus SPOILER THREAD with UNMARKED spoilers! ALERT: contains UNMARKED SPOILERS. Beware of spoilers! (Spoilers)

#211 User is offline Neowl 

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:18 AM

• feels good man
  • Project:SAIL HATAN
I didn't know I wanted ghost data for Time Attack until now. What a nifty addition!

#212 User is offline XCubed 

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:58 AM

• Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center
  • Wiki edits:5
I'm buying Plus, no question, but look at Mirage Saloon vs. Green Hill with the sunsets. MS is beautiful, but then it makes GH look like complete ass garbage. The different types of clouds just make the differences even more apparent.

#213 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:52 PM

View PostXCubed, on 16 May 2018 - 11:58 AM, said:

I'm buying Plus, no question, but look at Mirage Saloon vs. Green Hill with the sunsets. MS is beautiful, but then it makes GH look like complete ass garbage. The different types of clouds just make the differences even more apparent.

Must admit also not a fan off the poo brown, but there must be a technical reason for it.

#214 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:58 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash
It's been said, but I think the weird orange-brown GH color is supposed to be a throwback to Sunny Shores Act 3 from Megamix (Ver. 3):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Do agree that it does look rather odd though. They probably could had gone with a different shade of orange, or maybe set it to a different time of day.
This post has been edited by Yeow: 17 May 2018 - 02:00 PM

#215 User is offline GoldS 

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:35 PM

• Wiki edits:35
My problem with it is that the orange-brown sky blends in with the mountains and the checkerboard foreground tiles. At least in the Megamix version they changed the mountains and checkerboard to that kinda tan-looking palette.

#216 User is offline Ashram 

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:36 PM

• Wiki edits:13
Could it also be a nod to Sunset Hill from Sonic Advance 3?

#217 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:36 PM

• Project:Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
  • Wiki edits:21
Green Hill also was seen at sunset in Generations.. Heck, why not just all of the above? :v:

#218 User is offline Fadaway 

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:31 PM

I don't think the sunset GHZ looks terrible, TBH. They gave the water a nice look. It does clash some with the foreground. Doesn't look terrible, but could be done much better is my verdict. I'd say bring the sky slightly out of the orange/brown range and very slightly towards cooler tones.

Alternately, the sky could stay the same while bringing the foreground more towards cooler tones. That would work, too, and may look even better.
This post has been edited by Fadaway: 17 May 2018 - 09:30 PM

#219 User is offline Drex 

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:57 PM

• Lazy perfectionist
Man. I'm hoping there's a mod to replace the background as soon as the game is released. It's funny because GHZ in Sonic 1 always had the issue having a very unnatural looking dark blue sky. Now we're having the exact same issue except with a dark brown sky. Looks way more reminiscent of the ultra-polluted Scrap Brain Zone rather then a pretty sunset.

The only reason I can think of as to why they didn't go with a color scheme similar to Mirage Saloon Zone is because that would make three stages with the same Sky color Greenhill, Mirage Saloon, Oil Ocean. No excuse for the poor color choice they went with, though.

#220 User is offline CollectiveWater 

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:40 AM

Looks like people are starting to find Encore stuff in that leaked 1.04 PS4 patch via debug mode. Full version of "Angel Island" music is very good, as expected. Wonder how much more of Encore data exists within that leaked patch. Differences between what's in there and what's in the final build should be interesting. Feel bad for the dev team about the patch accidentally being pushed and Sega Japan revealing a bunch of the most interesting aspects of "Plus" well before launch--but speaking for myself, it is all just making me more excited for "Plus."
This post has been edited by CollectiveWater: 18 May 2018 - 01:42 AM

#221 User is offline LukyHRE 

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:22 AM

• The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar
  • Project:Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostCollectiveWater, on 18 May 2018 - 01:40 AM, said:

Looks like people are starting to find Encore stuff in that leaked 1.04 PS4 patch via debug mode. Full version of "Angel Island" music is very good, as expected. Wonder how much more of Encore data exists within that leaked patch. Differences between what's in there and what's in the final build should be interesting. Feel bad for the dev team about the patch accidentally being pushed and Sega Japan revealing a bunch of the most interesting aspects of "Plus" well before launch--but speaking for myself, it is all just making me more excited for "Plus."

Whoa, what's a neat midnight snack for my timezone. That pretty much confirms EVERYTHING about Plus's intro.

• Angel Island is merely an introductory level so Plus' new mechanics can be learned
  • It comes with its full song, along with a proper title card (with a different color)
  • Mighty and Ray get liberated by Sonic from that capsule, and the Heavy Magician steals the Ruby again
  • She gives it to the Heavy King, now in a big pile of junk with all the other HBH, the Ruby activates him, and sends the whole party to GHZ

I must agree, it's quite a shame that all got leaked. But I am more hyped than ever.

PD: Also... goddamnit, I need to see a Sonic 3 Remastered by Tax and Stealth. It needs to happen. Look at those gorgeous AIZ visuals :( I can't stand it...

EDIT: I want to add some technical stuff. Obviously all enemies are there, as they most likely ported the entire scene from S3, objects included, and then started to replace the chunks with the updated art. The glitched starting point appears to be caused by the location Sonic was after hitting the signpost back in the intro; the proper transition seem to require Sonic position to be more to the right, close to Knuckles intro area. Hitting the signpost there will most likely also fix the background, as it will carry it over from Knuckles area.

It is interesting that, after the background fixes itself through the level, there are no missing tiles anymore; could that change fix them, or maybe they were still replacing the chunks at the beginning with the updated art?

There is water in the level, seen at 1:13. It looks technically similar to S3 AIZ water, but with added wavy effects.

I don't get why Ray and Mighty's objects are not present, when an entire zone from the DLC got into the update. Perhaps the Sonic duplicates ARE Mighty and Ray, but without their art implemented?

Many questions, I would love to fiddle with that zone!
This post has been edited by LukyHRE: 18 May 2018 - 02:34 AM

#222 User is offline SuperSnoopy 

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:10 AM

• I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw
Yeah, I'm not gonna very original here, but godamn do I want a S3K remaster in the style of mania :( seeing angel island zone like that was both painful and very satisfying.

#223 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:35 AM

• Wiki edits:27

View PostLukyHRE, on 18 May 2018 - 02:22 AM, said:

It is interesting that, after the background fixes itself through the level, there are no missing tiles anymore; could that change fix them, or maybe they were still replacing the chunks at the beginning with the updated art?
Remember that Mania uses two layers for the foreground art - presumably one of them is mistakenly turned off until the background corrects itself, as you can see a foreground waterfall pop into existence at the same time.

Mighty and Ray being copies of Sonic seems to screw up the cutscene a little here - presumably the player normally has the chance to walk to either Mighty/Ray to choose them as a partner (with the other then turning out to be fake), but since "Mighty" has jumped forward while doing Sonic's victory animation he's already touching Sonic and so ends up automatically selected. Incidentally, I love that the little jingle from Chaotix plays when the partner is selected!

Interesting that the unused "Sweep" badnik from Mania's Chemical Plant Zone is present alongside the Zone's badniks in the debug list - I wonder if it's finally used in this Zone? We don't really see more than a glimpse of the area with the water in this footage, but considering the enemy's fully programmed it'd make sense to actually use it somewhere! On a related note, I'm actually kind of surprised Catakiller, Jr. shows up in this Zone - since it's already used in Chemical Plant Zone I just sort of assumed it'd be omitted here. Would that make it the only badnik which is used across multiple Zones in the whole of Mania, or am I forgetting something?

Speculation time - some of the Japanese articles have mentioned switching between all five characters in Encore Mode, but so far we've only seen Sonic/Mighty and Sonic/Ray as pairs. Since it seems the partner who isn't chosen turns out to be the Heavy Magician in disguise, I wonder if we'll be rescuing the real version of them later on in the game? Maybe the capsules at the end of certain Zones will be replaced with these Chaotix-style versions, each containing one of the remaining three characters. That would mean you'd unlock Tails/Knuckles and the partner you didn't choose at the start as you progress through Encore Mode, which would then fit with what's been said about being able to swtich between the five characters.
This post has been edited by McAleeCh: 18 May 2018 - 03:50 AM

#224 User is offline Hinchy 

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:42 AM

• Up And Down And All Around
  • Project:high quality video game rips
  • Wiki edits:32

View PostLukyHRE, on 18 May 2018 - 02:22 AM, said:

I don't get why Ray and Mighty's objects are not present, when an entire zone from the DLC got into the update. Perhaps the Sonic duplicates ARE Mighty and Ray, but without their art implemented?

Many questions, I would love to fiddle with that zone!

I think it's more likely that, since this was accessed with Debug Mode, it doesn't know to put the right characters there. This is not being interpreted as an Encore Mode game, but as a Mania Mode game with Sonic as the selected character.

(This is also supported by the fact that it then proceeds to regular GHZ.)

Also, I'm now thinking it's possible that, since you choose Mighty or Ray as your partner right there, that Encore Mode may eschew a typical character select at all, instead leaving you to find character swap monitors in the stages. Would certainly be an interesting gameplay wrinkle if true.

EDIT: Love that the level layout makes you either use Hammer Drop or Ray's flight to proceed (and also that picking one character or the other is a small alternate path as a result).
This post has been edited by Hinchy: 18 May 2018 - 03:50 AM

#225 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:45 AM

• Wiki edits:27

View PostHinchy, on 18 May 2018 - 03:42 AM, said:

I think it's more likely that, since this was accessed with Debug Mode, it doesn't know to put the right characters there. This is not being interpreted as an Encore Mode game, but as a Mania Mode game with Sonic as the selected character.
Also, since placing the end sign in the cutscene version of AIZ has activated it, I wonder if the only reason this Zone's made it into the update patch rather than the DLC itself is because the Zone's files are counted as "Act 2" of the existing Angel Island cutscene map? Since there are assets which are identical between the cutscene and the actual level, it'd make sense to keep it all wrapped together in the game's internal structure rather than duplicating art, palettes etc.
This post has been edited by McAleeCh: 18 May 2018 - 03:54 AM

• 25 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users