don't click here

Sonic Mania: Hacking Discussion

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Chimera, Aug 29, 2017.

1. The 64th Gamer

The 64th Gamer

Recreating old Sonic models
    Didn't they say its a different model than the one from Sonic Jam?

2. RikohZX

RikohZX

What he means is that the actual in-game model is unique, if not over-detailed despite the retro aesthetic, but he found the actual Sonic Jam model in the files.

3. ELS

ELS

No Direct Input after the 2 week delay but yes Denuvo. I wish we could swap the two out.

4. winterhell

winterhell

They wont be supporting Direct Input. The last thing they want is a false alarm that there is a keylogger in the game. The Internet will implode.

5. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    It does support the Steam Controller API, which should work with standard HID controllers. (The protocol is HID, not "DirectInput".)

Also, the "keylogger" thing was caused by the program in question specifying the wrong cooperative level. (Specifically, requesting input even when the window isn't focused.)

6. RandomTBush

RandomTBush

It's not much, but I made a small mod that fixes a sprite glitch I found with the Phantom Ruby in Egg Reverie (which other people have also noticed), plus the miscoloured pixels on the Chaos Emeralds that Shardroid pointed out to me. More info about that here.

https://mega.nz/#!f5gShZoI!l4rv86XkRlE2doDBWhlwdCGhyyEyFmdSYg69bs4-h5Y

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    https://twitter.com/smb123w64gb/status/907768130281148416

This guy seems to have a solid grasp on the Special Stage models. He's also made a replacement with Metal Sonic, which can be found here:

https://gamebanana.com/skins/157238
    Video: https://twitter.com/smb123w64gb/status/907595016628953088

8. If it's possible to replace the animations, why is it that nobody's removed the spinning from the jump? I mean, the Mario replacement looks nice, but he still curls up when jumping instead of using his usual jumping pose.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You guys know about this already?

Found it here.

10. RikohZX

RikohZX

Seems suspiciously like the Titanic Monarch Act 1 background set dressing was going to either appear earlier, or be a 3D background boss but got scrapped. If it's tied to the Metal Sonic fight files specifically, that just raises further questions.
    It did bother me how weird it was for that giant thing to pop up and then show in the ending and yet never be remotely relevant beyond the implication of being inside it for Act 2.

11. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    I don't know why, but it feels like Sonic Retro has been dropping the ball and a bunch of random youtubers have picked it up when it comes to making all these discoveries.

12. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I don't think so - according to the game's TCRF page, it's filed in Data\Meshes\TMZ\ which implies it's for Titanic Monarch Zone. The name of the model, MonarchBG, also implies it was simply a background element. I'm guessing the version seen in Act 1's background was at one point a 3D model similar to the Eggman statue in Stardust Speedway's Metal Sonic fight, before being replaced with the smoother-looking pixel-art version seen in the final game.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    No I think it's just that more people are interested in this game then they were with all the other PC released games, so for once some outsiders are looking around.

14. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Considering that when you swap Sonic with the UFO or a Chaos Emerald he still spins when jumping, I'm going to assume the spinning is hardcoded.

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I think the difference is, if this had been a Mega Drive title from 1994, extracting 3D models would have probably involved debugging a whole heap of 68k assembly and fighting some bespoke 3D modelling format that nobody understands (which is why I don't think anyone has extracted the Chaotix special stages, for example).

Here it's all modern technology and PC-bound. Although it's definitely frightening how much has been achieved in two weeks.

As for dropping the ball... well I fully expect Retro to come together and fill out our lovely wiki with excruciating amounts of detail and beat the internet at Sonic documentation. am i rite :eng101:

16. winterhell

winterhell

If someone does I'm willing to port them to PC and modernize them.

17. EyeKey

EyeKey

I had some good progress with the scene editor.

(not the exact same map from the first video, I redid it)

I still need to add more features for tiles editing. And then work on entities editing.

And as you can see the camera changes positions during the level. At the start of the level if sonic falls below the camera line he dies. My guess is that BoundsMarker object entities control that.

18. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    This is insane. So close to custom levels I can almost taste it.

Is it currently understood how objects / "entities" are placed in the world? Also, every so often there's a corrupted palmtreee to the left of one of the normal ones. It didn't look like you created that in your editor; is there an explaination for that? You can see examples of this at 0:06 and 0:13 etc. Wonder if its an object or just an issue with your tool atm. Just kinda weird, figured you might have an answer :v

Good shit as always, dude.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm really looking forward to this. Almost there!

20. EyeKey

EyeKey

The first video was taken after the second, I recreated the flat map again just to capture it. The second video is of my first try, and it looks that way because I rushed it when I duplicated/placed tiles, it looks the same in the editor, but I didn't bother to fix it.

And about the entities - yes. The format of the scene file and the entities was posted in this thread. Some things were still not clear but I did more research and figured out the rest.
    There is a list of objects (hash of their names), for each object there is a list of entities (instances of it), and for each entity there is x/y position and a list of attributes. The names of the attributes are hashed too. I found and extracted the names/types of all the attributes of all the objects and posted it in this thread.
    There are some objects without instances because just having an object makes the game run the static part of it. (For example GHZSetup is a static object that does the animations and the color changes of the tiles)
    My editor will support moving/placing/editing properties of entities. (it will be very basic at the beginning, but it will be improved over time)