Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 259 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) Developed by Christian Whitehead, Headcannon and PagodaWest

#3211 User is offline Shadow Hog 

Posted 12 February 2017 - 02:14 PM

• "I'm a superdog!"
  • Wiki edits:10
So, uh... I've played this. Was at the Switch event in DC that I got a ticket to.

Couldn't record my playthrough (I only have two hands, and it'd take two to hold the controller and two to hold my phone for a total of four hands required, alas), but it was pretty fun. Controls exactly as you'd expect. Took the upper routes as much as possible, though since I don't have video footage to show you of said areas, I don't think I'd be able to adequately explain what was up there.

I did record some other people playing it, though. Will probably post that when I get the chance - but since it's randos playing and not necessarily longtime Sonic fans, it won't be much you haven't already seen. (Also, the event had rules and stipulations about how much footage could be posted - no more than five minutes, in Mania's case - though I think I got less than that in the end, anyway.)

Oh, I do have one thing to complain about, though... if you were looking up, and then immediately try to Spin Dash, you'll jump instead, because the "no longer looking up" animation is in the process of playing and seems to have higher priority than starting the ducking animation. Was able to reproduce that repeatedly. Tried the same in Sonic 2 when I got home, but no, you'd Spin Dash as you'd expect to.
This post has been edited by Shadow Hog: 12 February 2017 - 02:16 PM

#3212 User is offline tokumaru 

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:57 PM

• Project:Platformer for the NES

View PostLord Nero, on 12 February 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

I'm rather shocked by the amount of "no new info please" comments personally.

Same here. I don't feel that what's been revealed so far spoiled much for me, because I actually found it very easy to ignore most of the videos so far. I enjoyed the screenshots and a few short clips, but watching entire levels being played (by people who don't necessarily know how to play Sonic) just wasn't fun for me. I guess that my experience with Mania so far has been pretty similar to how things were in the 90's.

That being said, I personally would like to see at least one more zone. I wouldn't even object to seeing them all, as long as it's just a few shots and short clips, and not a playthrough of the entire game.

It's not like knowing what the levels look like will ruin all the fun, in fact I feel like it gives me something to look forward to, and while I wait I can speculate about the DETAILS (layouts, gimmicks, bosses, music, etc.) that haven't been revealed. It is possible to reveal new information without spoiling everything.
This post has been edited by tokumaru: 12 February 2017 - 08:58 PM

#3213 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:01 AM

• Probably part of some problem
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8
SEGA is going to hold a panel at SXSW again this year on March 16th, where they'll talk and reveal stuff about both Sonic Mania and Project Sonic 2017

#3214 User is offline OcelotBot 

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:29 AM

• Scooty-Puff Jr sucks!
"Showcase a new reveal".

Sounds like they'll be showing another zone and hopefully confirming the release date.

#3215 User is offline Caniad Bach 

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:31 AM

• is a peanut
For those that have played Mania on the Switch - how good are the "D-buttons" on the standard controller for playing this game? I like the idea of playing Sonic Mania on the go, but I'm dubious about having to use buttons instead of a proper D-pad for a game like Sonic.

#3216 User is offline 360 

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:32 AM

• Daft Punk Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon

View PostTimmiT, on 13 February 2017 - 04:01 AM, said:

Thanks for the heads up. More news on both Mania and Project Sonic is more than welcome. Looking forward to seeing more.

#3217 User is offline VectorCNC 

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:00 AM

• Project:CNC Sonic Sculpture/Artwork

View PostCaniad Bach, on 13 February 2017 - 09:31 AM, said:

For those that have played Mania on the Switch - how good are the "D-buttons" on the standard controller for playing this game? I like the idea of playing Sonic Mania on the go, but I'm dubious about having to use buttons instead of a proper D-pad for a game like Sonic.

Unfortunately I don't recall the reviewer, but I recall it being stated that the lack of D-pad on the Switch was a problem for traditional platformers, and that those interested in these sorts of games will most likely want to pick up the pro-controller for home use.

Personally, while I'm excited about being able to play Mania on the go, I'm primarily interested in the best home experience possible, so if I need to shell out a little more money for the pro-controller I am more than happy to do so. Besides, I've been playing the classics on my cell phone with a touch screen for a few years now, and while FAR from ideal, it works. So playing Mania on the go won't be ideal, but it'll be better than a touch screen at least.
This post has been edited by VectorCNC: 13 February 2017 - 10:02 AM

#3218 User is offline Ashram 

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:02 AM

• Wiki edits:13
Damn, they're gonna be revealing new shit for Mania in mid-March. That "Spring 2017" release date is looking further and further away.

#3219 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:08 AM

• Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)

View PostAshram, on 13 February 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

Damn, they're gonna be revealing new shit for Mania in mid-March. That "Spring 2017" release date is looking further and further away.

Didn't they reveal the Sonic CD 2011 release date like a month before it's launch when it was initially given a vague "Season Year" release date? Maybe it'll be something like that.
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 13 February 2017 - 11:08 AM

#3220 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:21 PM

• Project:Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
  • Wiki edits:21
That's technically still Winter. :eng101:

#3221 User is offline Shadow Hog 

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:23 PM

• "I'm a superdog!"

In the excitement of all those games I could sample, I didn't think to put both Joycons on the side of the unit and try. I only tried playing with the analog stick on the right JoyCon (which worked better than you'd expect).
This post has been edited by Shadow Hog: 13 February 2017 - 12:23 PM

#3222 User is offline OcelotBot 

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:17 PM

• Scooty-Puff Jr sucks!

View PostDark Sonic, on 13 February 2017 - 11:08 AM, said:

View PostAshram, on 13 February 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

Didn't they reveal the Sonic CD 2011 release date like a month before it's launch when it was initially given a vague "Season Year" release date? Maybe it'll be something like that.

If I recall correctly, the release date for Sonic CD was announced only two days before it was released in Europe and was released like two weeks later in NA.

I like to think Mania's release date will be announced at least a month before release.

#3223 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:28 PM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostShadow Hog, on 13 February 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:

In the excitement of all those games I could sample, I didn't think to put both Joycons on the side of the unit and try. I only tried playing with the analog stick on the right JoyCon (which worked better than you'd expect).

I must be in the minority with this, but I've never had any issue using analogue sticks for 2D platformers. The sticks are always more conveniently placed than the D-pads on all of the controllers that I use (360, Wii U, 3DS...). It's definitely going to be a different case for games that require rapid and precise inputs at all times, like fighters, but the analogue stick does just fine for your typical Sonic game. At least, I think it does anyway. Still going to get a Switch Pro Controller regardless though. I'm not a fan of totally square layout of the Joy-Con Grip.

#3224 User is offline big smile 

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:29 PM

I personally hope they don't rush the game just to meet the "Spring 2017" line from the trailer. If it needs more time, then I'm happy to wait, even if it means it comes out at Xmas.

Although Stealth posted he got a contract job in Dec 15, which I'm guessing was Mania, so the game should have had a over a year and a bit of Dev time by the end of spring, which is a good sign that Sega isn't rushing things (I think, I don't really know much about development schedules).

#3225 User is offline Shadow Hog 

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:46 PM

• "I'm a superdog!"

View PostBlue Blood, on 13 February 2017 - 01:28 PM, said:

I must be in the minority with this, but I've never had any issue using analogue sticks for 2D platformers. The sticks are always more conveniently placed than the D-pads on all of the controllers that I use (360, Wii U, 3DS...). It's definitely going to be a different case for games that require rapid and precise inputs at all times, like fighters, but the analogue stick does just fine for your typical Sonic game. At least, I think it does anyway. Still going to get a Switch Pro Controller regardless though. I'm not a fan of totally square layout of the Joy-Con Grip.
Well, the "better than you'd expect" bit is more about how the analog stick is halfway across the width of the controller, and how comfortable that would be to use, than about controlling Sonic with an analog stick, which is about what you'd expect (it works, YMMV on if using a D-Pad - or four buttons acting like a D-Pad, in this case - is preferable to it).

• 259 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users