Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Project AXSX (2013 and Beyond) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 49 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Are you interested in playing project AXSX?

1: Are you interested in playing project AXSX?

1. You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Project AXSX (2013 and Beyond) New Poll, come vote ! !

#376 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:39 PM

• OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST
  • Project:Sonic 1 Color Contrast
Woah...I really love how that looks; I'd absolutely love to play a cave/water level with this lighting aesthetic!

#377 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:21 PM

• "Our Life is More than a Side-Effect"
That ambient glow is gorgeous. I'd love to see it in action!

#378 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:21 PM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects

View PostTheInvisibleSun, on 23 December 2014 - 03:39 PM, said:

Woah...I really love how that looks; I'd absolutely love to play a cave/water level with this lighting aesthetic!

Yes me too !

#379 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:03 PM

• Technical Artist
Status update , I think I have all the freshly leaked levels rebuilt now, (there are a fuck ton of them too)
There may be a few stranglers here and there that I may have been skipped over. I will be checking for skipped areas and also double checking uv mapping and level accuracy which will be a few days worth of work. In the end we need to add delays that pop up with every day life ect , I predict that I should have everything finished in 2 weeks.(or maybe 3 at most concerning the new levels)
Hopefully things go smoothly with my schedule.

Edit:
Chris has also been trying to help out with checking some areas that lack some .def information threw screenshots.
I don't think its super easy or even possible to recall vivid details from memory for level layouts in 95 - 96. ( I think that the levels with incomplete data will be omitted from an AXSX release.)

Its a shame that we are missing some of the .def files or .pcx map layout files. For instance we have some red sands type areas which by the way has my favorite texture work for the early levels but lack the level layout files or .def files.

One . def file calls to load objects such as obelisks and other level props, but none are ever used within the layouts, ( but than again the layouts seem very incomplete, leading me to believe that they were unfinished, or early versions of later levels.)
Other issues I've come across for the Egyptian levels are missing folder structures which use folders with names Cube01 cube02, and inside these folders houses textures with same names but different texture content per engine build folder. so there is no way to track down which textures go where.
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 01 January 2015 - 10:35 PM

#380 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:36 AM

It's a shame so much is missing, but on the flipside, it's super awesome you get to work with the man himself! That does suck about Red Sands, though. I've always enjoyed that level's aesthetic.

#381 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:13 PM

• Technical Artist

View PostTheKazeblade, on 02 January 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

It's a shame so much is missing, but on the flipside, it's super awesome you get to work with the man himself! That does suck about Red Sands, though. I've always enjoyed that level's aesthetic.

These are totally new Red sands aesthetics, never before seen by the public .( outdoor type environment with lots of yellows)

#382 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 02 January 2015 - 03:17 PM

View PostAndrew75, on 02 January 2015 - 02:13 PM, said:

These are totally new Red sands aesthetics, never before seen by the public .( outdoor type environment with lots of yellows)

Seriously? Awesome! When might we be able to see images of this :)?

#383 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:43 PM

• Wiki edits:27

Oooh, very interesting! Sounds much more traditionally desert-like than some of the Red Sands stuff we've seen previously. = ) Even though it must be frustrating not having the full picture due to some missing elements, I'm betting it must be exciting seeing all of this stuff. Very much looking forward to seeing how you integrate it all into AXSX!
This post has been edited by McAleeCh: 02 January 2015 - 05:43 PM

#384 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:16 AM

• Technical Artist

View PostTheKazeblade, on 02 January 2015 - 03:17 PM, said:

Seriously? Awesome! When might we be able to see images of this :)/>?

Whenever Jollyroger is okay with it I suppose .

#385 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:51 PM

Hey Andrew, just curious, now that you have your hands on the official X-Treme engine, will you be using any of it to update your AXSX engine? Or are you just porting over levels and sprites? I don't know anything about programming myself, but I'd be really interested to know how the two engines compare/play, and which one you prefer. I haven't seen this mentioned in the forums before but please point me in the right direction if this has already been brought up.

Congratulations on this project so far, I have been following this since conception and your dedication and passion for this is inspirational. Can't wait to see more shots/footage.

#386 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:57 AM

• Technical Artist

View PostHigh Fidelity, on 03 January 2015 - 02:51 PM, said:

Hey Andrew, just curious, now that you have your hands on the official X-Treme engine, will you be using any of it to update your AXSX engine? Or are you just porting over levels and sprites? I don't know anything about programming myself, but I'd be really interested to know how the two engines compare/play, and which one you prefer. I haven't seen this mentioned in the forums before but please point me in the right direction if this has already been brought up.

Congratulations on this project so far, I have been following this since conception and your dedication and passion for this is inspirational. Can't wait to see more shots/footage.

Well I don't have my hands on the actual engine or anything like that. I just have my hands on the .def files which are definition files , textures and .pcx map level layout files, And from them I rebuilt the level geometry, actors, and level layouts by hand which was tedious and took a lot of time. (I like to call it Game archaeology )
Please read this post for more details. http://forums.sonicr...ndpost&p=810336

I wont be taking any gameplay elements from the new leak persay, as AXSX uses classic styled physics and gameplay rules tossed in with my own ideas of how X-treme should have functioned ( World rotations system differs quite a bit for example) I like to say its my personal gameplay prediction projection.
What the game could have been like from my mind's eye for how I had perceived the game back in 1996 by the media.

Soon after the assets are completely in engine, I hope that I can get the programmers kick started to help finish off some key elements holding us back from release. I have enough levels and such ready for that next gameplay demo release, but without these key finishing programed touches I wont make any releases.
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 04 January 2015 - 11:22 AM

#387 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:44 AM

View PostAndrew75, on 04 January 2015 - 10:57 AM, said:

View PostHigh Fidelity, on 03 January 2015 - 02:51 PM, said:

Well I don't have my hands on the actual engine or anything like that. I just have my hands on the .def files which are definition files , textures and .pcx map level layout files, And from them I rebuilt the level geometry, actors, and level layouts by hand which was tedious and took a lot of time. (I like to call it Game archaeology )
Please read this post for more details. http://forums.sonicr...ndpost&p=810336

I wont be taking any gameplay elements from the new leak persay, as AXSX uses classic styled physics and gameplay rules tossed in with my own ideas of how X-treme should have functioned ( World rotations system differs quite a bit for example) I like to say its my personal gameplay prediction projection.
What the game could have been like from my mind's eye for how I had perceived the game back in 1996 by the media.

Soon after the assets are completely in engine, I hope that I can get the programmers kick started to help finish off some key elements holding us back from release. I have enough levels and such ready for that next gameplay demo release, but without these key finishing programed touches I wont make any releases.

Ah ok, I get you. Haha yeah I can imagine... I remember having to rebuild a composition from scratch for a project a while back - nearly lost my mind a few times!

It's great that you are using classic physics. With all the dev time you've had I'd bet that it plays better than the original.

Thanks for the info Andrew and good luck with the programming, Looking forward to giving it a blast when it's ready.
This post has been edited by High Fidelity: 06 January 2015 - 08:44 AM

#388 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:19 PM

• Wiki edits:27

View PostHigh Fidelity, on 06 January 2015 - 08:44 AM, said:

It's great that you are using classic physics. With all the dev time you've had I'd bet that it plays better than the original.
Indeed - this is one of the things that excites me the most about this project; the fusion of those sublime classic-style Sonic physics with the unique ideas and concepts of Sonic X-treme! The best of both worlds, as it were. = )
This post has been edited by McAleeCh: 06 January 2015 - 05:20 PM

#389 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:14 PM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1
So andrew, based on the leak were you able to find out how many levels X-treme had overall and are you going to apply the same level layout to this project?

Also, think you can fix that broken image in your sig? sorry but its been bugging me for about a year now and imageshack purged all of our free accounts so it ain't coming back.

#390 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:41 AM

• Technical Artist

View PostLanzer, on 06 January 2015 - 09:14 PM, said:

So andrew, based on the leak were you able to find out how many levels X-treme had overall and are you going to apply the same level layout to this project?

Also, think you can fix that broken image in your sig? sorry but its been bugging me for about a year now and imageshack purged all of our free accounts so it ain't coming back.

All the levels for this new leak are just demo type levels . I wouldn't call even the ones seen in the E3 videos real levels, since these are them levels.
I didn't count how many areas there are total between this and the last leak from a few years back, but there are over 50 for sure ! ( yes counting the small ones with 20 block totale too. :P)

And yeah I forgot what pic I had in the sig. Will have to fix it when I get some time .

• 49 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users