Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Project AXSX (2013 and Beyond) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 52 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Are you interested in playing project AXSX?

1: Are you interested in playing project AXSX?

1. You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Project AXSX (2013 and Beyond) New Poll, come vote ! !

#361 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:54 PM

• "Our Life is More than a Side-Effect"

View PostAndrew75, on 06 December 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

In Space...... Only Metal can scream.

Posted Image

Oooh! Custom model, or ripped from the new build :D?

#362 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:10 PM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects

View PostTheKazeblade, on 06 December 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

View PostAndrew75, on 06 December 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

In Space...... Only Metal can scream.

Posted Image

Oooh! Custom model, or ripped from the new build :D?

No its an old model ripped from an old Saturn SDK some years back.( I posted it because the screen seems kind of fun )
and
This is a re-model of that model to round it out a bit more so it better matched the Saturn with its Quad polygon rounding trick.
screen from Game maker build of the AXSX engine January 2010. ( there are 5 red light sources in the level which lit metal as he moved around.)
Posted Image
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 06 December 2014 - 04:21 PM

#363 User is offline Spinksy 

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:54 AM

I remember that, Ollie was another guy re creating that level too wasn't he? (from the sentient forums).

I did my own version but wasn't ever very good lol.

#364 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:43 PM

• Technical Artist
Okay guys, been sitting on this level for some weeks now.
In the past I've re-created versions of the Gold Tile level about to be shown below 100% from scratch down to the textures. However I was never really happy with my results because in my mind it just was not the real deal. ( not to mention there was no way to see the whole level from the limiting screens and videos)
Finally after many years of waiting, "The Real Deal is finally here....... and I can finally relax! OMFG I can't believe it!

So by using these newly leaked .def files, which (in case you are wondering) is a code set that the official game engine uses to define attributes of the game's building blocks used to build levels.
Soooo......Using the .def and .pcx map files, I've been able to rebuild levels painstakingly by hand.
Some attributes found with in the .def file are size/scale, shape, shading, lighting in some instances, transparencies, texture assignment per polygon face and UV mapping across multiple blocks ect ect.
Than I use that info in conjunction with the .pcx layout maps to manually build level layouts. ( a single level can take up to 6 hours to build by hand)

So yeah, Thanks to JR's Leak, I've been able to dive into the wonderful world of game Archeology yet again.
When I say again, I say that because this new leak contains a different coding structure vs the previous .def file leak by HXC. Most Knowledge learned from the previous leak had to be discarded.

Without further delay. May I present you with the first screens of the AXSX's version of The Gold Tile level running inside AXSX! (With Fisheye, and for the first time the official textures!)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 14 December 2014 - 02:45 PM

#365 User is offline Morph 

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:35 PM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
  • Project:SA1/2 hax
  • Wiki edits:11
I know I'm not adding much to the conversation here, but man that looks great!

#366 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:09 PM

• Technical Artist

View PostMorph, on 14 December 2014 - 05:35 PM, said:

I know I'm not adding much to the conversation here, but man that looks great!
Yeah it sure does.. its my favorite!
I think this stage actually looks better without the fisheye effect personally.
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 14 December 2014 - 06:10 PM

#367 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:16 PM

• Wiki edits:27
Indeed, amazing stuff! = D It's lovely to see things from the new leak making their way into AXSX - especially something as instantly recognisable as this particular stage! Also very interesting to hear that there's quite that much difference between the structure of stuff in this leak compared to what we already had.

I went back to the first page of the topic to compare the new screens with your original take on this stage, seeing the official version contrasted with the remake you did based on observing what little reference material was available at the time.

Definitely looking forward to seeing more as it happens - also loved the look of that crazy mechanical level with the neon light rods from the new leak, which you showed pictures of in the X-treme POV stuff thread. = )

#368 User is offline TheValeev 

Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:23 AM

• Project:Sonic Game Land
These screenshots look pretty good! I hope you can make this game look more like the original X-treme with new resources from the leaks.

#369 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:51 AM

Gorgeous! I've always liked those water platforms, and the Gold Tile room aesthetic as a whole. Are those water platforms using a transparent glass texture, or is it using its own water texture to accomplish that effect?

#370 User is offline Saidian 

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:50 PM

• Project:Blast From The Fast (Fangame)

View PostTheValeev, on 15 December 2014 - 06:23 AM, said:

These screenshots look pretty good! I hope you can make this game look more like the original X-treme with new resources from the leaks.

I'm pretty sure he's started to use what's available, can't wait to play this been far too long since the last demo.

Not that I'm saying hurry up though, take your time Andrew :)

#371 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:24 PM

• Technical Artist

View PostTheKazeblade, on 15 December 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

Gorgeous! I've always liked those water platforms, and the Gold Tile room aesthetic as a whole. Are those water platforms using a transparent glass texture, or is it using its own water texture to accomplish that effect?

Oh no, its just a texture, its the same as the water texture but with an overlay of the gold tiles texture that has a square cut out to show the water texture that's been brightened up a bit. ( all was done with photoshop I would imagine)
If I were to re-make the level with a modern twist than yeah I'd use some transparent refraction shaders!
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 15 December 2014 - 01:39 PM

#372 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

View PostAndrew75, on 15 December 2014 - 01:24 PM, said:

View PostTheKazeblade, on 15 December 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

Oh no, its just a texture, its the same as the water texture but with an overlay of the gold tiles texture that has a square cut out to show the water texture that's been brightened up a bit. ( all was done with photoshop I would imagine)
If I were to re-make the level with a modern twist than yeah I'd use some transparent refraction shaders!

I assumed as much. If I recall correctly, Saturn wasn't the best at handling varying opacities, right? They certainly were able to come up with convincing tricks to get around it!

#373 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:06 PM

• Technical Artist
There were screens of the Light beams shown of the level. they used transparencies, although I believe it may have been on the NV1 version that we were seeing.
The later PC videos also had transparencies ( you can catch them in the crystal frost video when sonic is running up a ramp towards the screen, (the floor becomes transparent so we could see sonic)
But yeah don't know if these would have made it into the Saturn build or not.
Posted Image

#374 User is offline Spinksy 

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:06 AM

Nice to see updates on this thread.

Looks awesome :-)

#375 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:32 PM

• Technical Artist
Buried deep within some of the newly discovered .def files are remnants of an old lighting system. These lights were emitted from rings and bubbles found in an under water level.
However these levels are much older than anything that can be loaded with any of the recently discovered Builds that JR has. (Chris Senn has confirmed the Lighting effects were in an older build of the game shortly before, and after the discovery)

I've taken the liberty to resurrect the idea of this lighting tech for use in AXSX. Right now the effect does not quite line up with fisheye because of the fisheye shader's behavior vs light positioning.
So far I have a few ideas on how to pull this off, and already done some tests in Kismet which will align the lights with the fisheye effect, however UDK is missing a few key Kismet nods that would allow the alignment to be completed 100%. Waiting on Xak or Josh to creat the 2 missing nods from scratch using unrealscript. ( or by Josh shader mod for lighting vectors corrections)

Here are the 2 original light colors (Blue and yellow-orange) which were used in this amazing new lost level. ( I can not show the level just yet so the effect will be displayed in one of my older test levels)
Blue belongs to a bubble object , and yellow belongs to the rings objects. ( note that I did not use the rings or bubble to emit the lighting, the lights are randomly placed within this level for visual testing only)
something of interest that I noticed in the .def file for the blue light was a flickering setting.

Posted Image
Posted Image
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 23 December 2014 - 01:48 PM

• 52 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users