Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Iizuka relocating to USA to "oversee development of new games" - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Iizuka relocating to USA to "oversee development of new games"

#31 User is offline Nicky Ali 

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:26 PM

• Will stop at nothing to remind you that the Advance Trilogy exists

View PostBlue Blood, on 30 January 2019 - 09:20 AM, said:

Because this phony leaker is trying to seem credible by mimicking the official social media and creating their bullshit based on the likely scenario with the info we already know. Don't bother reading into it.

Besides TSR, it's pretty likely that there's no other Sonic game coming this year. Part of TSR'S delay was likely even to plug the 2019 gap, the same as Boom Fire and Ice a few years ago. I'm pretty sure I've read elsewhere about CS2/SEGA working on a new IP, and of course the restructuring is well-known at this point.

Leaks are trash unless there's some tangible evidence to ascertain their validity. Using publicly known info, the word "adventure" and a picture of a Chao doesn't qualify as evidence.

yeah you're probably right honestly haha. I don't know why I put so much stock into these things that usually turn out fake 99.9% of the time.

#32 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:34 PM

• Project:Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
  • Wiki edits:21
I could literally go on 4chan right now and pretend to be someone leaking the next Sonic game

#33 User is offline SuperSnoopy 

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:33 PM

• I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw

View PostSparks, on 30 January 2019 - 12:34 PM, said:

I could literally go on 4chan right now and pretend to be someone leaking the next Sonic game

Scott The Woz did something like that a while ago, created a fake Smash for Switch leak for a youtube video and people ate that shit up.

#34 User is offline Irixion 

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:54 PM

• Project:Life
  • Wiki edits:152
RIP Sonic. It's been a good ride.

#35 User is offline Hitlersaurus Christ 

Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:41 PM

• Not actually a nazi, possibly the messiah, definitely a dinosaur
  • Project:SNOIC GENERATONS PLUS
Honestly I think we're more likely to see another SoA-led project like Mania before we hear about the next Sonic Team Sonic game.

#36 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:23 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash
Wow, a "leak" that tells us everything we already know about the next 3D Sonic game (there likely isn't one)!

I gotta say, that's an absolute first; people usually put more effort into their "my uncle washes staff tighty-whities at Sega" hoaxes. People must be getting embarrassingly desperate for news for the next Sonic game then. >.>

As for Sonic Team--assuming they have started working on another Sonic game following Forces, I'd rather they just launch whatever slopfest they're currently baking this year, instead of leaving us [not] holding our breath for another one-two years. Ideally, the mainline games should have three-six years of development time to avoid series saturation and ensure quality control. But I don't believe that actually means anything with a studio like Sonic Team responsible for making the games. If they are working on a not-Sonic game though, then they're free to take all the time they need, as far as I'm concerned.

#37 User is offline 360 

Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:47 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Yeah the leak is entirely based on machinations of which we're already aware revealing nothing new meaning anyone could have generated it with ease - so it's probably nothing. Agreed that a Mania successor coming from the American side is far more likely and could even be revealed this year whilst 3D Sonic is very probably on the back burner with Forces' failure and Sonic Team working on a new IP.

And I think that would be for the best in all honesty. Everyone loved Mania and Sega knows it and with its strong sales some kind of successor must be assured and inevitable at this point.

#38 User is offline OcelotBot 

Posted 30 January 2019 - 05:23 PM

• Scooty-Puff Jr sucks!
If Sonic Team are working on a new IP, then this sounds way more exciting than the next 3D Sonic instalment.

I'd be happy if we don't get another 3D main series Sonic game until at least 2021 which would be a four-year gap since Forces. I'd imagine SEGA will be cooking up something for the 30th anniversary, so probably Generations 2 or whatever.

As for the 4chan leak, yeah it's obviously rubbish, but I do agree that TSR will be the only new 3D game we'll get this year. Maybe that's a good thing. Forces has left a pretty sour taste and as much as I love Mania, I not expecting Mania 2 anytime soon (if ever).

#39 User is offline 360 

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:17 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon

View PostOcelotBot, on 30 January 2019 - 05:23 PM, said:

As for the 4chan leak, yeah it's obviously rubbish, but I do agree that TSR will be the only new 3D game we'll get this year. Maybe that's a good thing. Forces has left a pretty sour taste and as much as I love Mania, I not expecting Mania 2 anytime soon (if ever).

After what Iizuka said in that Mania might be a one and done deal and is now a project that has reached completion, a direct Mania 2 is unlikely - unless something has changed since then and he's had a change of heart - but a 2D game from Christian and co. that Sega knows will automatically do another million in sales is very likely and near definite. Sega won't rest on their laurels when they have a formula that guarantees a million plus in sales for a game that can be developed on a remarkably low budget. It's bad business and Sega aren't that inept.

Then we have Mushroom Hill and Ice Cap referenced with Amy in the Mania Adventures Christmas episode which could be nothing - but I'd argue might be our first indicator at what's coming next.
This post has been edited by 360: 30 January 2019 - 06:17 PM

#40 User is offline Laughingcow 

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:13 PM

Should we just start speculating on what Sega's next move is? I mean, there ain't anything else to discuss.

I think Sega is in a Godzilla 98 situation where the American movie may damage the brand so they are waiting till afterwards to see the fallout before making any moves. On the Sonic Mania 2 situation, I think the sales may have convinced Sega that they should go for that Sonic 3 remaster (Jackson songs be damned). The simplest of physical products would be a Sonic Remastered Collection with the classic trilogy & CD. It would be easier than making a new game from scratch (granted they have the funds and staff to do that in the time allotted).

3D Sonic....They need to find someone who actually wants to make one of those. The last person who had vision for that was Akinori Nishiyama who gave us Sonic Unleashed while he was interim head of Sonic Team (Before that he directed the Advance games & Rush games). I think Sega may have realized just what they are lacking. It could be connected to the Mania devs visiting Japan awhile back.

#41 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:03 PM

I'll be disappointed if a Mania successor isn't at least announced during 2019.

View Post360, on 30 January 2019 - 06:17 PM, said:

After what Iizuka said in that Mania might be a one and done deal and is now a project that has reached completion, a direct Mania 2 is unlikely - unless something has changed since then and he's had a change of heart - but a 2D game from Christian and co. that Sega knows will automatically do another million in sales is very likely and near definite. Sega won't rest on their laurels when they have a formula that guarantees a million plus in sales for a game that can be developed on a remarkably low budget. It's bad business and Sega aren't that inept.

On top of all that, it'd be good for the image of their flagship brand - a brand that could really do with it.

#42 User is offline Jason 

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:05 PM

• *Results not lab tested.
Sonic 3 & Knuckles hasn't been ported in 8 years, not counting Xbox One getting the 360 port via backwards compatibility. Though it would be nice to get, I think tangling with Michael Jackson's estate is just not something Sega wants to do as of late. The Mania devs have been fiddling with their own projects, or moved onto other ones at other companies. Gigs come and go, but development of a S3K remaster, or even a Mania 2, has very likely not started yet.

Sonic Team being more a label the producer and director put on a project than a dedicated team really changes what I can expect from Sega at this point. Who at the company today has been consistantly involved that we can put trust in? A lot of the big players for the sound team have been consistent, like Senoue, Ohtani, Hayata, etc. Kumatani and Tokoi (nevermind, though what in particular?) seem to have gone elsewhere though. Iizuka is producer of course, but who is a reliable director that's still at Sega working on Sonic games? Level designers? Visual artists? It's going to boil down to who works on the project for me to be invested now, not who manages the label.
This post has been edited by Jason: 30 January 2019 - 08:24 PM

#43 User is offline Sonikku2k 

Posted 31 January 2019 - 01:17 AM

Here is a crazy opinion I have had for, around 5 years now.

SEGA needs to let Sonic Team go, and go, as in I mean, let those people, including Lizuka move on to another gig at another company.
Then, they need to build a new development team with the right people, preferably longtime fans of the franchise. In short, folks with the correct vision, drive, and determination, but more importantly, an idea of how NOT to ruin the franchise further and possibly bring it back from the brink, if that is even possible.

#44 User is offline Powpuck 

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:23 AM

View PostJason, on 30 January 2019 - 08:05 PM, said:

Sonic 3 & Knuckles hasn't been ported in 8 years, not counting Xbox One getting the 360 port via backwards compatibility. Though it would be nice to get, I think tangling with Michael Jackson's estate is just not something Sega wants to do as of late. The Mania devs have been fiddling with their own projects, or moved onto other ones at other companies. Gigs come and go, but development of a S3K remaster, or even a Mania 2, has very likely not started yet.

A compilation of the remasters missing S3&K is going to be feel lacking, but I think one including Spinball and 3D Blast would do quite a bit to make up for its absence. I mean, the source codes do still exist. They wouldn't even really need to base 3D Blast on the Saturn version, really, as preferable as it is (an option for either soundtrack like in Sonic CD is a no-brainer, whichever they choose).

That's not even mentioning R, which has a reputation that's nearly as disparaged as Sonic '06, so it'll likely never get a remaster. Not to say I wouldn't immediately purchase a version of that game that hadn't such a sluggish framerate, but I'm just one weirdo who cannot speak for everyone.
This post has been edited by Powpuck: 31 January 2019 - 09:24 AM

#45 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:47 AM

• Wiki edits:27
Honestly, for a compilation of the remasters, sorting out whatever rights issues are currently discouraging them from remaking Sonic 3 & Knuckles would definitely be the ideal - as the only entry of the original trilogy yet to get the Stealth/Tax treatment, its inclusion would definitely be the biggest draw.

If they ever did produce a compilation of the previous remasters along with Sonic 3 & Knuckles, I'd hope it'd contain something like the following:

• Sonic 1 Remastered - same as iOS version features-wise.
  • Sonic 2 Remastered - same as iOS version features-wise, but with the expanded multiplayer mode now available locally in split-screen like Sonic Mania.
  • Sonic 3 & Knuckles Remastered - new remaster from the ground up, incorporating extra features such as Time Attack from the previous iOS remasters.
  • Sonic CD Remastered - an updated version of the 2011 remaster, adding Knuckles as a second unlockable character for consistency with the other games in the collection. Bonus points if the original vocal versions of Sonic - You Can Do Anything and Cosmic Eternity could also be restored to the intro/ending respectively.

The previously-existing remasters would probably need to be updated to have a consistent menu style so that they all feel like part of the same package - currently Sonic CD is the odd one out, though whether they'd stick with the Sonic 1/Sonic 2 iOS style or go for something a little more retro I have no idea.

I'd also probably simplify the unlock criteria for Tails/Knuckles in games they didn't originally appear in - simply beating their debut game with all emeralds while playing as them would unlock them for use in all other games in the collection.
This post has been edited by McAleeCh: 31 January 2019 - 09:52 AM

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users