Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Super GameBoy on N64 using Transfer Pack?! - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Super GameBoy on N64 using Transfer Pack?!

#1 User is online RGamer2009 

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

• True Blue
  • Wiki edits:3,086
Not sure how many people are interested in N64 hacking, but this caught my eye in recent memory.

Copy-Pasting my previous explination:

We may soon have a working Super GameBoy on the N64 using the Transfer Pack.

Some hackers have been messing with the N64 Transfer Pack and Pokemon Stadium earlier this year. One, named Mezmorize decided to try and boot a game that wasn't Pokemon into Pokemon Stadium using the Game Boy Tower. In short, he got it to work! By using a flash cart, modifying the game's header, and making it look like Pokemon Blue, Pokemon Stadium took it and ran the game. Crazily it also added the Super Gameboy borders to boot:

https://www.youtube....h?v=cB9jr4lOOvw

The game crashes after this cutscene though. So he tried to use a simpler game. He had to modify the game even more, making it the same size and header as the Pokemon ROM. It too booted:

https://www.youtube....h49Sk9yr-QJdZvw

One more video from Zoinkity shows Tetris and Link's Awakening running (with some graphics issues):

http://youtu.be/rZX54lGgiHU?t=43s

So as you can see, we are not too far off of this working. Any game can run on the system either of two ways: The GameBoy ROM has to be hacked to look like a PKMN game, or Pokemon Stadium itself needs to be modified to remove the GameBoy game checks from the GameBoy Tower, which in theory could be done by Gameshark codes.

I think this is really neat. What do you all think?

#2 User is online Black Squirrel 

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

• match up tails to the cards
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569
The Super Game Boy borders thing is really interesting - I imagine it's just a side effect that comes from trying to cope with all the possible variants of Pokémon (and potentially newer games) without having to have stuff hard-coded, but it still makes you wonder why they didn't make a Super Game Boy-style dapter for the N64.

Particularly in situations like the UK where I suspect there were more N64 owners than SNES ones. Combined with the fact I didn't know Pokémon Stadium had this Game Boy emulation feature until fairly recently, it feels to me like they missed quite a big trick.

#3 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:47 AM

• Sentient Cash Register
  • Wiki edits:1
This seems fake. If I'm not mistaken, Pokémon Stadium has these Game Boy ROMs stored inside the cartridge. It uses the Transfer Pak to grab the save, and to check what game is in there, but it does not actually play the game from it. I'd be more likely to guess there's an N64 flash cartridge in play here, with modified Pokémon Stadium roms that have different GB games injected.

edit: Perhaps I'm wrong. This Pokémon Red hack seems to be blackscreening on a transfer pak, instead of just loading the vanilla game regardless, which would definitely indicate it's actually loading the whole game this way instead of from within the N64 cart.
This post has been edited by Covarr: 06 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

#4 User is online RGamer2009 

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

• True Blue
  • Wiki edits:3,086

View PostCovarr, on 06 August 2014 - 10:47 AM, said:

This seems fake. If I'm not mistaken, Pokémon Stadium has these Game Boy ROMs stored inside the cartridge. It uses the Transfer Pak to grab the save, and to check what game is in there, but it does not actually play the game from it. I'd be more likely to guess there's an N64 flash cartridge in play here, with modified Pokémon Stadium roms that have different GB games injected.

For some reason I have a hard time believing this is faked. The 3rd video seems sketchy sure, but the first two videos seem very legit.

Here is the topic Mezmorize made on another forum with more detail.

EDIT: Here is Zoinkity's topic too.
This post has been edited by RGamer2009: 06 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

#5 User is offline Tanks 

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostCovarr, on 06 August 2014 - 10:47 AM, said:

edit: Perhaps I'm wrong. This Pokémon Red hack seems to be blackscreening on a transfer pak, instead of just loading the vanilla game regardless, which would definitely indicate it's actually loading the whole game this way instead of from within the N64 cart.

I remember floating this idea YEARS ago and being told the same thing, that the ROMs were inside Pokemon Stadium and that the cartridges were only there for saves and verification. If this isn't fake though... I'll be genuinely fascinated. Honeslty if its a case of overriding header verification, wouldn't a gameshark be able to handle such things? This could only be practical if you didn't have to own a GB flashcart.

#6 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 06 August 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

Particularly in situations like the UK where I suspect there were more N64 owners than SNES ones. Combined with the fact I didn't know Pokémon Stadium had this Game Boy emulation feature until fairly recently, it feels to me like they missed quite a big trick.

You're sure about that? Playstation squashed N64 rather handily here as I understand it - it's anecdotal I know, but I knew a lot more PS1 owners than N64 ones.

But yes, I agree - they should have made a Super GB for the N64. Certainly wouldn't have harmed sales, moreso if they threw in GBC compatibility while they were at it.

#7 User is offline Tanks 

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:53 PM

We were running theories, and based on what zoinkity says in one of his videos, the checks are less stringent when it comes to the Pokemon Yellow ROM for whatever reason (Maybe since it was in development/near release at the same time as Pokemon Stadium's development?).

Theoretically, it may be possible the entire Pokemon Yellow ROM is dumped and stored in the N64's RAM. The point of whether or not the Blue and Red ROMs being on the Stadium cart are moot since this theory relies on the information provided by the zoinkity and others. One thing I noticed was that I've never seen the boot menu for the GB Tower hang for so long to load any of the Pokemon games, possibly because its taking the time to store the ROM in the N64's RAM. Also, according to Gerbilsoft, the N64 is incapable of streaming the ROM in realtime so the only option really left is that Pokemon Yellow, rather than pull a ROM from the cart, is instead stored in memory or they somehow decompressed the Stadium ROM and replaced the GB ROMS with everything else.

I dunno. Sounds complex, but that's the only way I can make sense of it.

#8 User is online Black Squirrel 

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:04 PM

• match up tails to the cards
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View PostOverlord, on 06 August 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 06 August 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

You're sure about that? Playstation squashed N64 rather handily here as I understand it - it's anecdotal I know, but I knew a lot more PS1 owners than N64 ones.

It was still a distant second but my understanding is that it wasn't as distant. I know a few people who had one as a "secondary" console. Even the Saturn doesn't seem to have been as trounced as much as it was in North America (and that was even further behind the N64) - it was a popular generation.

You might find that N64 sales went up after Pokémon (and particularly at the launch of that Pikachu-branded N64). There was a period where they were releasing coloured controllers and yellow DK64 cartridges where the thing started to make a bit of an impact - back when translucent plastic was hip and cool and you wanted a whole spectrum of consoles because they matched and they're pretty and ooo
This post has been edited by Black Squirrel: 06 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users