Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Retro Fighters' Genesis/MD/Saturn & Dreamcast Controllers - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Retro Fighters' Genesis/MD/Saturn & Dreamcast Controllers Classic function in modern form

#1 User is offline Candescence 

Posted 20 February 2019 - 12:00 PM

• Project:3D Indie Stuff
I'm legitimately surprised this hasn't been posted here.

Retro Fighters is a lesser-known controller-making outfit, but their stuff is apparently of really good quality. Their first controller was an NES-compatible dual-stick controller, which was neat, but, well, it was an NES controller. Their second controller, however, the Brawler64, is basically "what if we just made the N64 controller more modern and usable?" (I was perfectly fine with the original N64 controller, but this design is apparently the best N64 controller ever according to folks who've used it.)

And now they plan to release a Genesis/Mega Drive/Saturn controller that not only has all the functionality you ever want from such a controller, but also a more modern design.

Posted Image

If nothing else, it looks pretty slick.

And lastly, Retro Fighters has a Kickstarter going on for their newest project, a modernised Dreamcast controller with full VMU and Vibration Pack functionality.

Posted Image

I do love the look of these controllers, and from what I understand Retro Fighters does really good work. I might actually pick up the BrawlerGen controller myself.

#2 User is offline Xilla 

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:56 PM

• No promotion for you, laddy.
Would have liked the Dreamcast controller to have 6 face buttons myself, seeing as theres some great Capcom fighters on there including argubly the definitive version of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

#3 User is offline Tets 

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:22 PM

• one rude dude
Damn, I like what I see! These guys ought to give 8Bitdo a run for their money, especially if they can nail the d-pads.

The Brawler64 looks fucking dope. Got to get one of those things as soon as I can.

#4 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:22 PM

• Wiki edits:18

FEATURES
Repositioned Mode button – compatible with 6 button and 3 button games, Genesis/Mega Drive games

It's not a feature, it's a bug! :v:

#5 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:56 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
I want to know more about how the analog stick will work for Genesis games.

#6 User is offline Candescence 

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:05 PM

View PostmuteKi, on 25 February 2019 - 08:56 PM, said:

It's really just there for the Saturn functionality. The stick probably either doesn't work at all or works as a d-pad substitute (though why you would want to use it for Genesis games, I can't fathom).

#7 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:27 AM

• You're going to need MORE than help.
  • Project:Sprites for Cybernetic Outbreak

View PostCandescence, on 25 February 2019 - 09:05 PM, said:

(though why you would want to use it for Genesis games, I can't fathom).

The same reason Nintendo put a NES controller out with an analog stick, the NES Max?

Posted Image

I'm sure there's some functionality for it.

#8 User is offline mentski 

Posted 27 February 2019 - 11:12 PM

• Pfff.
  • Project:Being a mysterious face.

It's really just there for the Saturn functionality. The stick probably either doesn't work at all or works as a d-pad substitute (though why you would want to use it for Genesis games, I can't fathom).
There was an analog controller for the Mega Drive, the Dempa XE-1 AP, There are several games for the MD, MCD, and 32X compatible with it, such as the After Burner titles. If those games recognise it, that'd be kinda nice.

#9 User is offline Candescence 

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:22 AM

View PostBlackHole, on 27 February 2019 - 05:27 AM, said:

(though why you would want to use it for Genesis games, I can't fathom).

The same reason Nintendo put a NES controller out with an analog stick, the NES Max?

Posted Image

I'm sure there's some functionality for it.

Actually, that's a modified controller. This is what the NES max originally looked like, it had a cycloid, not a stick. It's really just a really weird d-pad, and the outer black part was the only bit that actually functioned.

View Postmentski, on 27 February 2019 - 11:12 PM, said:

There was an analog controller for the Mega Drive, the Dempa XE-1 AP, There are several games for the MD, MCD, and 32X compatible with it, such as the After Burner titles. If those games recognise it, that'd be kinda nice.

See, this one makes sense, considering there is actual games compatible with this one and it's supposed to emulate the HOTAS controls from the After Burner arcade cabinets. If it actually works for that, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
This post has been edited by Candescence: 28 February 2019 - 12:31 AM

#10 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 01 March 2019 - 12:48 AM

• Wiki edits:18
If nobody tells them, they won't even know about it.

#11 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:58 PM

• You're going to need MORE than help.
  • Project:Sprites for Cybernetic Outbreak

View PostCandescence, on 28 February 2019 - 12:22 AM, said:

Actually, that's a modified controller. This is what the NES max originally looked like, it had a cycloid, not a stick. It's really just a really weird d-pad, and the outer black part was the only bit that actually functioned.

My bad, the angle of some pictures made it look like a analog stick and I thought that was a better angle for it.

#12 User is offline Skyler 

Posted 04 March 2019 - 02:07 AM

• Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール
  • Project:The next audtion
  • Wiki edits:136
I really don't like the position of the START and MODE buttons. I think they should be switched to mimic the SHARE and OPTIONS buttons on the PS4 controller.

That said, their N64 controller is fantastic and I've backed their Dreamcast controller.

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users