Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Battle Racers Boardgame Kickstarter - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic Battle Racers Boardgame Kickstarter

#16 User is offline Turbohog 

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:08 AM

• Wiki edits:22
I know they aren't making it or paying for it. But is it so crazy to expect Sega to help pay for something that will ultimately make them money?

#17 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:48 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostTurbohog, on 11 February 2018 - 10:08 AM, said:

I know they aren't making it or paying for it. But is it so crazy to expect Sega to help pay for something that will ultimately make them money?

Will they make money from this though? Maybe the company bought the license and that was the end of it?

#18 User is offline Boxer Hockey 

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:13 PM

View PostTurbohog, on 11 February 2018 - 10:08 AM, said:

yeah, that's pretty crazy actually.

Well, not crazy but very unusual to pay for a license and then have the license owner in turn pay for the product cost.

#19 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:21 AM

Its already backed up though.

#20 User is online Blue Blood 

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:18 AM

• Wiki edits:6
There's a day and a half left to go at the time of writing, with a total of $97k pledged so far, from an original goal of just $50k. The campaign has seen several changes to the order of its stretch goals as well. This is what's been reached so far:
Posted Image

Further stretch goals will see Cream at $100k, Rouge at $105k and Charmy at $110.
This post has been edited by Blue Blood: 01 March 2018 - 09:19 AM

#21 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:14 PM

• Project:Too many of them
Cream unlocked, addew Wave for $115k. They'll probably add the other two Babylon Rogues at $120k and $125k if Rouge and Charmy are unlocked as well., Should they planned to sell even the kickstarter exclusive content, which obviously they won't, purchasing the hyper pledge now (in other words, the whole bundle) means around a 50% discount to the price it would have on stores.

#22 User is offline Casshern 

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:18 PM

At this point Mr. Know-it-all from Sonic Adventure is going to make it.

Glad that it worked out though. I honestly did not think they were going to make it after seeing the initial backing options. But cool they changed stuff around and are meeting their goals.

#23 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:38 PM

Well, they added Jet after unlocking Rouge, but it's on the 125k mark, so it will be even harder to reach Storm, specially considering the last minute backers have probably backed already.

I personally didn't know about it until past weekend, since I've been away from this site for a month and a half, but I wanted to purchase the Hyper Bundle as soon as I knew about it, before even unlocking the ring pack. I was very surprised more than a hundred people backed it after I did (and the number keeps growing), but some friends of mine told me it's a usual practice on kickstarter: many decide to invest the money when the number of achieved goals make the product more attractive.

I think the game looks nice enough to give it a try, and there's always the chance to use the miniatures and other assets for other games through home-made content, and they could even look good as decorations on shelves. I'm planning to adapt them to Super Dungeon Explore, for example.

#24 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:18 AM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2
As long as everything gets put on the wiki we're fine.

#25 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:21 PM

I may do that when I get the bundle but I'm not documenting the kickstarter itself. XD
(I was serious about the first part).

Anyway, less than 2 hours remain before the crowdfunding time expires, and the last stretch goal is close to be reached, with Storm the Albatross still not available. Something to buy later, I guess. The full bundle is so big that I'm only worrying about that as a collector, because, as a buyer, I don't even know where I'm gonna put that many things. I'm very satisfied with this purchase, the first one I make on Kickstarter.

EDIT:
- Last stretch goal reached, thanks to everyone who backed and congratulations too, we're getting a lot of stuff.
- Everyone who hasn't backed yet, you have less than an hour to get it.
This post has been edited by HedgeHayes: 02 March 2018 - 08:11 PM

#26 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:25 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2
Did you buy all that optional stuff as well?

#27 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:40 AM

Hyper Pledge comes with the optional stuff included; they replaced the initial offer of just the 100$ bundle with three pledges:

- Basic Pledge: just the core box with the super sonic KS bonus character for 50$.
- Super Pledge: the original 100$ bundle with badnik miniatures and the free stretch goals
- Hyper Pledge: the big pack with all of the above and the optional buys as another 50$ charge, making it cost 150$. Since it has everything included, there's no need to pay anything else. Well, save for shipping fees, of course.

And yeah, I got it, and forgot it's still available for purchase through the Late Pledge system, so everyone can still get it too; in fact, people can even upgrade their pledge if they got a cheaper one.

About Storm, they've said it wasn't available as a Stretch Goal because they couldn't get the license for it in time, but they're trying to add it as a late pledge stretch goal so the collection could be complete. Everything appears in the "Updates" section of their KS page.

I should stop talking as if I was in charge of their marketing. :v:

I've read the instruction manual and, while I feel there's a couple of things missing in the rulebook, the game itself sounds interesting and faithful to Sonic in a good sense. I'd like the circuit to have more available arrangements and not just the single lap "Z" shape, but, as I've said before, there's always room for homebrew rules and assets. Boss Mode looks like the way to go IMHO, but they're also adding a Solo Mode which doesn't appear in the rulebook yet, and I'm curious about that.

#28 User is offline MartiusR 

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:21 AM

I didn't read entire rulebook yet, but there is one thing which caught my attention (in comments) - that crossing the finish line first is not providing any benefit to counting final results for players. It doesn't sound good.

Ok, definitelly good thing is that game is not focused only on rushing through fields with dice and going to last field . The fact that creator resigned from using dice(s) for moving characters is also a good step. But race which is rather promoting slowing down to collect more stuff is hardly a race. I'm totally fine with fact that getting first to the end is not the only factor for winning, but it still should have guarantee some sort of additional "boost" to final result.

Really nice surprise is 1 player mode. It's relatively rare for board games.

And hey, since it's board game, they can't install there any DRM - no Denuvo, what a joy!

(I've ordered the biggest variant with all add-ons in last day of campaign)
This post has been edited by MartiusR: 09 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

#29 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:58 PM

I'm a bit concerned about that too, but keep in mind the other players have about 5 rounds max to reach the goal; in other words, being the first arriving there is not providing any bonuses, but being really efficient with both collecting and advancing does, as that will cut the time for other players to make their own progress, and will also let them with less rings to collect and less badniks to destroy. On the other hand, it wouldn't be very unusual to see everyone arrives to the goal at the same time, and that will probably be the kind of result we're afraid of. I suppose it's all about playstyles and strategy. They still have time to adjust that, though.

#30 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:42 PM

Double posting because Sonic Mania Plus reminded me of something I didn't know the last time I posted, and you may want to know it as well if you haven't yet:

Developers have licenses for classic characters, not just for the modern ones included on the kickstarter. Just saying.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users