Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog movie - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 74 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog movie It looks fucking awful

#1066 User is offline 360 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:52 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Video game movie adaptations have been notoriously trash for decades and have never in any discernible precedent done any lasting damage to the video games they were based on - let alone the doom and gloom of torpedoing an entire brand. Sometimes the film is good as with Mortal Kombat which had a positive effect on the games - and more often than not they're disastrous films like Street Fighter that did nothing to affect the eventual release and immense success of Street Fighter 4. The film may tarnish Sonic's mainstream image, temporarily, but I think the games have assaulted that image enough already without a film having any lasting or consequential impact. Sonic will be fine, like he always is, and hopefully a successor to Mania will be announced this year to get us all feeling positive again.

The film is nothing to worry about. Video games have been surviving bad Hollywood adaptations since the dawn of the video game industry and Sonic is no different.
This post has been edited by 360: 17 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

#1067 User is online dot.kh 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:38 PM

• Puniboy 4 president
Yeah, parents will google Sonic's career and immediately recognize his weirdness.

I've got a wild theory about the realistic fur: Did you ever look at the old artworks and think "Man, and I thought it looked cool back then."? The Heroes boxart for example. Clearly a product of its time (because it looks outdated as hell). The same could happen to the CGI in Unleashed or Generations when we're used to better graphics and all. But a photo realistic character model helps to avoid that because of... photo realism. Should be timeless. Now what if it's an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to bring Sonic to Hollywood and they didn't want to mess that up?

#1068 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:59 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 17 January 2019 - 04:51 PM, said:

View PostTanks, on 17 January 2019 - 04:26 PM, said:

Name a legitimately bad Mario game.

Ooh ooh ooh

*lists games*

Super Mario Bros. Special for Sharp X1 and NEC PC-8801 computers is Sonic GBA before Sonic GBA existed.

(*blows dust off Wikipedia search bar* This was developed by Hudson Soft, but it's officially licensed by Nintendo. It's a "enhanced" port; it features the same graphics and controls, but it also has different level layouts, new items, and new enemies adapted from those from Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong. So it can technically be said to be the first sequel to the original SMB on NES.)

With that said, most if not all of the Mario games we've listed are pretty obscure outside the Mario fandom (if not the videogame fandom) and are either badly done ports or entries of the smaller spinoff branches. Concerning the flagship platforming games (2D and 3D), Mario's got a near-spotless track record. Even the NSMB era of games that are constantly derided as stale, most of them have review metascores in the mid-high 80s. The exception is NSMB 2 and that's still at a respectable "good, but not great" 78 MC.

View PostZephyr, on 17 January 2019 - 05:25 PM, said:

Mario may have been "invincible" because of the media juggernaut he is, but Sonic is "invincible" because he's been practically canonized as the industry's village idiot.

*slow clap*

#1069 User is offline Sonikku2k 

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:16 AM

View PostPrototype, on 17 January 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

Mario survived it's movie disaster, because it was still a media juggernaut backed up by some solidly crafted games, not to mention that it was released early on in the Mario lifespan. Sonic's been on shaky ground from the beginning, with some truly terrible games. There are some good games, sure, but historically and even to this day, SEGA regarded Sonic as less of a video game series and more of a great branding opportunity - with some utterly baffling instances of them whoring out the name. It hasn't got that solid consistent foundation that Mario does.

Combine that with the fact that we're in the social media age and Sonic fans can be notoriously...passionate about the series, I can't see the franchise as a whole shake off this CG monstrosity in the same way that Nintendo did with the Mario movie.

Considering the reaction I saw in Discord and Telegram, about this film, I am with you on that! I also spoke to my longtime friend Shayne Thames and she was like also... "Unfortunately its true"

#1070 User is offline dust hill resident 

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:52 AM

• Project:Making music
  • Wiki edits:4
I'm honestly excited for this movie. Whether it's good or bad, I think it'll certainly be interesting. And I'm not ruling out the possibility of it ending up being good (although I'm certainly not expecting it)

#1071 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:58 AM

• match up tails to the cards
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View PostYeow, on 17 January 2019 - 06:59 PM, said:

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 17 January 2019 - 04:51 PM, said:

View PostTanks, on 17 January 2019 - 04:26 PM, said:

Name a legitimately bad Mario game.

Ooh ooh ooh

*lists games*

Super Mario Bros. Special for Sharp X1 and NEC PC-8801 computers is Sonic GBA before Sonic GBA existed.

This is the part where I show my age - I was playing this back in 2006! Back then, the Western world didn't even know the Sharp X1 existed. They probably still don't understand the significance of porting a cutting-edge console game to underpowered home computers as early as 1986 - in the context of the PC-8801 and X1 libraries as they were at the time, even without scrolling it's fairly impressive. Less impressive is the realisation that I've been playing these things for the best part of 15 years.

But I'm derailing - I just wanted to make use of all of this horrible knowledge I've acquired over the years.

#1072 User is offline Frostav 

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:06 PM

You guys are vastly overestimating how many non-gamers are actually aware of Sonic's modern reputation. Also, let's be real: this is the same country that gave Micheal Bay hundreds of millions for the Transformers movies. The idea that the average movie goer has any semblance of taste and standards and won't eat this garbage up to shut their kids up and leave without ever thinking about it again is comical.
This post has been edited by Frostav: 18 January 2019 - 06:06 PM

#1073 User is offline Jason 

Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:07 AM

• *Results not lab tested.
Aaron and Iizuka met with the movie team to personally deliver feedback.

Not likely much can happen if the movie is done filming, but it could probably change the way it's marketed.

#1074 User is offline Sonikku2k 

Posted 26 January 2019 - 09:39 AM

Its a bit very late for Lizuka's opinion to be asked, if you ask me of mine.

#1075 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:34 AM

• match up tails to the cards
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569
"Don't release this" is pretty good advice they can still act upon :v:

#1076 User is offline 360 

Posted 26 January 2019 - 05:30 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Well, Aaron certainly knows his Sonic so it's good he was there - but yeah too late in the game now if the movie is in post-production.

We're going to have accept our inevitable fate. Unless Jim Carrey saves us.
This post has been edited by 360: 26 January 2019 - 05:30 PM

#1077 User is offline Creature SH 

Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:14 PM

View PostSonikku2k, on 18 January 2019 - 03:16 AM, said:

Mario survived it's movie disaster, because it was still a media juggernaut backed up by some solidly crafted games, not to mention that it was released early on in the Mario lifespan. Sonic's been on shaky ground from the beginning, with some truly terrible games. There are some good games, sure, but historically and even to this day, SEGA regarded Sonic as less of a video game series and more of a great branding opportunity - with some utterly baffling instances of them whoring out the name. It hasn't got that solid consistent foundation that Mario does.

Combine that with the fact that we're in the social media age and Sonic fans can be notoriously...passionate about the series, I can't see the franchise as a whole shake off this CG monstrosity in the same way that Nintendo did with the Mario movie.

Considering the reaction I saw in Discord and Telegram, about this film, I am with you on that! I also spoke to my longtime friend Shayne Thames and she was like also... "Unfortunately its true"

Oh. Oh no... Oh my god. This is not gonna be another DCEU-all-the-critics-are-just-paid-off-by-Marvel conspiracy cult, is it?

#1078 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 26 January 2019 - 09:05 PM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostSonikku2k, on 26 January 2019 - 09:39 AM, said:

Its a bit very late for Lizuka's opinion to be asked, if you ask me of mine.

Iizuka, not Lizuka. I see people make this mistake all the time and it's honestly such a pet peeve

Anyway... Yeah, this will just be a formality meeting. From what little we know about the movie, it's been almost entirely out of SEGA's hands from the beginning. Feedback delivered in the meeting won't improve anything.

#1079 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:48 AM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash
hey guess what guys i used my elite neural network hackmaster skills to crack into ruby's twitter account and steal his pre-prepared feedback statement about the movie on the behalf of the film crew:

"My suggestion would be to expect few to no character design changes, so that if or when you do notice any minor updates in the final cut of the movie, you'll appreciate them. I think this is better than people really expecting them to change too much, and conversely expecting something different than they get when they purchase their tickets. Keeping expectations realistic is the key."

;)

View PostCreature SH, on 26 January 2019 - 08:14 PM, said:

View PostSonikku2k, on 18 January 2019 - 03:16 AM, said:

Oh. Oh no... Oh my god. This is not gonna be another DCEU-all-the-critics-are-just-paid-off-by-Marvel conspiracy cult, is it?

I see the Illumination checks have cleared! Critics never want to give Sonic a fair shot, they just don't understand true film kino! They're more content with their "New" Super Formula Bros. with pasta quips!

Don't let them ruin your day, be a TRUE SONIC FAN and see it day 1!

#TrueBlueInitiativeTheMovie #SUPPORTSONICFILMS
This post has been edited by Yeow: 27 January 2019 - 12:52 AM

#1080 User is offline NeoSlyde 

Posted 27 January 2019 - 07:12 AM

I'm not really happy about the movie but I'm going to see it anyway, who knows... maybe I'll like it :p

• 74 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Oldbie: Friend of Sonic