Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Fleetway appreciation / STC:O thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 12 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Fleetway appreciation / STC:O thread Right, we were derailing too many threads

#31 User is offline Ross-Irving 

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:34 AM

• Wiki edits:1
QUOTE (Ben2k9 @ Feb 12 2010, 08:01 AM)
Ok, I can see some pretty harsh comments from ignorant Americans...

Artist interpretations kthnxbai, Sonic wasn't supposed to be cute (explanation that weakly ties the importance of the characters' designs to the atmosphere of the strip.

As for tails, well, as I said it wasnt really a 'cute' universe.

First off, why does it matter that I'm American? I know you wouldn't have gone through the trouble of saying "ignorant French" or "ignorant Germans". I'm an outsider to the strip, simple as that. Do you see how that brings a certain connotation to what you're saying, you know, like you're looking down upon me? Just something to consider.

Secondly, I never said he had to be cute. I mentioned cute, but cuteness is a means to end, it's a part of an appealing design. Just because something isn't cute doesn't mean it has to be fuck-ugly either. No matter what the atmosphere in the strip, it goes against all decent aesthetic to give a supposed eight year old like Tails tiny eyes and old man forehead wrinkles. Furthermore, claiming Fleetway had to go off what SEGA gave them as an excuse for the often ugly work is not an excuse. Archie's Sonic comics began to be published in 1993, and they didn't seem to have any trouble drawing Sonic from behind or other angles (at least, not artists like Spaziante or Yardley). That's called draftsmanship. Even if you don't see him from every conceivable angle, you should have the skill to turn that figure around in 3-dimensional space to make competent, constructed drawings.

This is not harsh. Seriously, look at other comic books selling for three or four dollars, like Marvel or DC stuff. Look at the drawings inside. And we're getting that for three or four bucks, what a steal. And comics like StC (well, demanded) and Archie demand around the same amount when their artwork is not up to snuff? Give me a break.

#32 User is offline Adamis 

Posted 13 February 2010 - 05:58 AM

• Gimme waffles!
  • Project:Lammy and "Fafnir"
  • Wiki edits:53
I don't see what you mean by "ugly". I mean...

Maybe Elson's Sonic redesign for the SA adaptation look a bit strange, but I guess he wasn't used to draw him like that yet. He got him better after some time.
And Tails doesn't look like an old man to me. You may have seen one or two pictures whre the artist exaggerated his expression. That's something a lot of artist do, anyway eng101.png
Seriously, Tails is fine:

Maybe you're not familiar with "non-american" styles ? (I don't mean it negatively). Have you read some european-styled comics, like Blacksad, Skydoll, Luuna or Raghnarok? They've got a different way to work than the american stuff (again, I just say this because you cited DC and Marvel wink.png )
I had no problem getting into Fleetway when I bought some issues from Ebay, but I don't live in the UK so I didn't grew up with their stuff. And now it's my favorite Sonic comic.

#33 User is offline Super Rockman 

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:35 AM

• Wiki edits:11
Those 'old man wrinkles' on Tails really look more like eyebrows to me. Tails doesn't have any discernible eyebrows, after all.

#34 User is offline JackSkellinghog 

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:43 AM

• Wiki edits:13
I grew up with Fleetway. I love the styles, I dislike the archie style. *Shrugs* It'll always be opinion against opinion. If this is an appreciation topic though. I used to spend hours re-reading stories actually referencing the games in the way that made me believe they were all apart of the same universe. Especially stuff like Mighty (who kicked ass) & the chaotix. Loved it.
This post has been edited by JackSkellinghog: 13 February 2010 - 07:55 AM

#35 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:35 AM

• It's Saturday TV Toons!! (90's Style)
  • Wiki edits:16
There's a Fleetway appreciation thread and nobody told me?!?!

Oh how those comic scans above have brought back alot of memories, I remember on special occasions being able to buy one (It was something like every 2 months unfortunately as my family weren't exactly rolling in money =%). But man I remember this so damn well, I really wish they'd bring it back (Yes I'm aware they have a "Sonic The Comic online", but something just doesn't fit I'm afraid, the art just doesn't fit the original comic artist's style, and that doesn't buy my attention).

#36 User is offline Ben2k9 

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:10 AM

• We stand to Fight
  • Project:none at the mo
First off, why does it matter that I'm American? I know you wouldn't have gone through the trouble of saying "ignorant French" or "ignorant Germans". I'm an outsider to the strip, simple as that. Do you see how that brings a certain connotation to what you're saying, you know, like you're looking down upon me? Just something to consider.

Sorry about that dude, I didnt mean to sound condisending.

BTW, they did manage to draw the back of sonic correctly during the later comics.

#37 User is offline Stiv 

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

• Project:Sonic the Comic - Online!
  • Wiki edits:7
Hey guys, getting back into the swing of stuff and so here's a link to the latest issue of STC-O, '259.

Hey guys! Been a while but here's the link to STCO #259!

Posted Image

Let me know what you think (of the new issue and how you feel STCO is going in general lately)!

#38 User is offline Twimfy 

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

• Project:Sonic the Comic stuff
I'm only 4 poster mags and the Eternal Champions special away from completing my near mint collection of Sonic the Comic.

However today when doing my usual google search for back issues I came across this: http://www.amazon.co...55151875&sr=8-1

Does anyone have any idea what it is?

My first guess is that someone has made a compilation but disguised it in an awful cover to avoid being sued??
This post has been edited by Twimfy: 10 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

#39 User is offline FinalBeyond 

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

• Wiki edits:1
I think I've seen similar covers on Amazon before (example), and from what I've heard, they were just printed wikipedia/wikia pages, so I don't think you're missing anything.

#40 User is offline Stiv 

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

Yeah, seems like that's all they are. I've seen them while searching for back issues myself. It's weird =/

#41 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

• You're going to need MORE than help.
  • Project:Sprites for Cybernetic Outbreak
Mmk, not sure if this has been mentioned before or if it has all the comics, but I found this site with a good collection at least.
http://en.sonicscanf...onic-the-comic/
Now, to start downloading for my own.

#42 User is offline Jen 

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

• Lapidot Queen
  • Project:Various drawings
  • Wiki edits:2
Ooh, thanks for sharing that link BlackHole, I'll have to start downloading those soon!

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't there a similar archive of Sonic the Comics that was taken down a while ago? If that's so, then I'm jumping on this in case the same thing happens again.

I still have some of my comics but unfortunately most of them have gone now. I think they might have got thrown away by mistake at some point when I was younger, I really don't know. I had loads of them as well. I definitely still have the one which has a (shitty) drawing of mine published in it, haha =P I won a nice Sonic watch for that, which incidentally I found when I was sorting through a load of old stuff the other day.

#43 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

• You're going to need MORE than help.
  • Project:Sprites for Cybernetic Outbreak
Not a problem. It apparently has all the Archie series as well, so they might become a target even if the Sonic the Comic series goes ignored. Get'em while it's hot!

EDIT: Oh, and the files are in a .cbz format, you'll need this to read them: http://comicrack.cyolito.com/
This post has been edited by BlackHole: 11 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

#44 User is offline Stiv 

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

There's also: http://sonic.cawvault.co.uk/STC.html

And of course, TKA, you have to register to be able to view the download links but they have STCO and all the summer specials, poster mags, etc: http://tails.kicks-a...et/?area=comics

#45 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2
There are no mint StC scans on TKA like there are with Archie.

• 12 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users