Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Graphics - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 15 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Graphics (character sprites, gimmicks,etc... anything not related to levels)

#1 User is offline Phoebius 

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:13 PM

  • Coucou
  • Posts: 1626
  • Joined: 16-August 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:France
  • Project:iOS Game


(\"Official\" Artworks)

\"Box Art\" Artworks

Sonic :
Posted Image

Knuckles :
Posted Image

Tails :
Posted Image

Robotnick :
Posted Image

Metal Sonic :
Posted Image

Ass-Face aka American \"Box Art\" Artworks

Sonic :

Posted Image

\"End Poses\" Artworks

Sonic :
Posted Image

Knuckles :
Posted Image

Tails & Super Sonic:
Posted Image


This post has been edited by Phoebius: 12 November 2008 - 07:15 AM

#2 User is offline TiagoJ7 

  Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:34 PM

  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 18-October 08
  • Gender:Male
Those sketches are awesome! Really good job! :objection:

I already saw that Sonic artwork in SFGHQ, but not the rest. I love Sonic's, Tails' and Knuckles' artworks. That's just how they look like in the Mega-Drive games. I wouldn't change them one bit.
I don't like Knuckles' sitting pose. He's looking horrible sitting like that. All the rest is great.

#3 User is offline SMTP 

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:36 PM

  • Posts: 2145
  • Joined: 27-April 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio
  • Wiki edits:59

Quote

Ass-Face aka American "Box Art" Artworks


Uhhhh...?

The US artwork is the only good artwork there ever was...

If anything, "assface" was the european artwork. :P

#4 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:24 PM

  • Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Posts: 15968
  • Joined: 12-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Berkshire, England
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204

View PostSMTP, on Nov 9 2008, 10:36 PM, said:

Quote

Ass-Face aka American "Box Art" Artworks


Uhhhh...?

The US artwork is the only good artwork there ever was...

If anything, "assface" was the european artwork. :P

Much as I don't want this debate to start up AGAIN, many people disagree with this.

Consider this your stay-on-topic warning. =P

#5 User is offline BreakTheChains 

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:50 PM

  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 29-April 08
Haha ass-face... anyways, the sketches are insane if you ask me. Although I have no drawing capability so anything people draw looks pretty good to me.

#6 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:47 PM

  • Adopt
  • Posts: 5161
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:CA US
  • Wiki edits:4
It should be noted that all those pictures besides the "ass face sonic" were drawn by Adamis.

#7 User is offline DimensionWarped 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:14 AM

  • Erinaceous!
  • Posts: 2398
  • Joined: 05-April 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Huntsville, AL
  • Wiki edits:5
Am I the only one who thinks that if you want to make a successor type game that you'd need a new Metal (or whatever) Sonic design? Counting everything that wasn't either on the gamegear or 32x, they never reused the same design. And I believe that had they continued to go off the developments of Sonic and Knuckles, they probably would have either not had a metal Sonic design in or made something that would have again changed the design to be sleeker and more complex looking.

#8 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:06 AM

  • Adopt
  • Posts: 5161
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:CA US
  • Wiki edits:4

View PostDimensionWarped, on Nov 10 2008, 06:14 AM, said:

Am I the only one who thinks that if you want to make a successor type game that you'd need a new Metal (or whatever) Sonic design? Counting everything that wasn't either on the gamegear or 32x, they never reused the same design. And I believe that had they continued to go off the developments of Sonic and Knuckles, they probably would have either not had a metal Sonic design in or made something that would have again changed the design to be sleeker and more complex looking.

Yeah, but this is the coolest design for Metal Sonic. :P

Also, it's been reused the most in all the official Sonic games.

#9 User is offline SoNick 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:13 AM

  • Imageshack took down my old avatar after nearly a decade
  • Posts: 1096
  • Joined: 14-December 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The middle of nowhere, Kansas
  • Project:catching 'em all
  • Wiki edits:1,168
Hm...
I don't know why, but something is bugging me about Robotnik's head in the drawing of him. I can't seem to pin it down to anything exact, though; the best I've got is that the shape looks slightly off but I can't even say that for sure...

In the Metal Sonic picture the legs look way too long. I'm pretty sure that the upper legs are the worst offenders, as the rest of the legs don't look too bad.

#10 User is offline DimensionWarped 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:11 AM

  • Erinaceous!
  • Posts: 2398
  • Joined: 05-April 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Huntsville, AL
  • Wiki edits:5

View PostRika Chou, on Nov 10 2008, 01:06 AM, said:

View PostDimensionWarped, on Nov 10 2008, 06:14 AM, said:

Am I the only one who thinks that if you want to make a successor type game that you'd need a new Metal (or whatever) Sonic design? Counting everything that wasn't either on the gamegear or 32x, they never reused the same design. And I believe that had they continued to go off the developments of Sonic and Knuckles, they probably would have either not had a metal Sonic design in or made something that would have again changed the design to be sleeker and more complex looking.

Yeah, but this is the coolest design for Metal Sonic. :P

Also, it's been reused the most in all the official Sonic games.


I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with it being the coolest. I preferred Sonic and Knuckles' design myself. Regardless, which design I prefer doesn't change the fact that had Takashi Yuda done character designs for a Sonic 4, and provided they chose to have a Metal Sonic in it, it almost certainly would have been a new design. It isn't really that important obviously, but it's one of my hang-ups.

#11 User is offline Matwek 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:56 AM

  • Posts: 795
  • Joined: 19-July 08
  • Gender:Male

View PostDimensionWarped, on Nov 10 2008, 08:11 AM, said:

View PostRika Chou, on Nov 10 2008, 01:06 AM, said:

View PostDimensionWarped, on Nov 10 2008, 06:14 AM, said:

Am I the only one who thinks that if you want to make a successor type game that you'd need a new Metal (or whatever) Sonic design? Counting everything that wasn't either on the gamegear or 32x, they never reused the same design. And I believe that had they continued to go off the developments of Sonic and Knuckles, they probably would have either not had a metal Sonic design in or made something that would have again changed the design to be sleeker and more complex looking.

Yeah, but this is the coolest design for Metal Sonic. :P

Also, it's been reused the most in all the official Sonic games.


I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with it being the coolest. I preferred Sonic and Knuckles' design myself. Regardless, which design I prefer doesn't change the fact that had Takashi Yuda done character designs for a Sonic 4, and provided they chose to have a Metal Sonic in it, it almost certainly would have been a new design. It isn't really that important obviously, but it's one of my hang-ups.


I think one of the reasons why that metal sonic was chosen was because there was talk on a metal sonic factory level with various incomplet versions of metal sonics swarming to attack you, so made sence to use a familiar metal sonic for such a level. Also that does still leave the possibility of a newer improved design to appear somewhere near the end.
Although this idea never really got beyond the initial ideas stage as we started to focus on the earlier levels.

#12 User is offline TiagoJ7 

  Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:44 AM

  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 18-October 08
  • Gender:Male

View PostDimensionWarped, on Nov 10 2008, 05:14 AM, said:

Am I the only one who thinks that if you want to make a successor type game that you'd need a new Metal (or whatever) Sonic design? Counting everything that wasn't either on the gamegear or 32x, they never reused the same design. And I believe that had they continued to go off the developments of Sonic and Knuckles, they probably would have either not had a metal Sonic design in or made something that would have again changed the design to be sleeker and more complex looking.


I kinda agree. It would be cool if Metal Sonic had some stuff changed in this game.
I'm trying to give Metal a new design for my fangame/fanfiction. I guess I'm covered there :D, considering the game itself is yet on the "where to go now" stage...

View PostDimensionWarped, on Nov 10 2008, 07:11 AM, said:

View PostRika Chou, on Nov 10 2008, 01:06 AM, said:

View PostDimensionWarped, on Nov 10 2008, 06:14 AM, said:

Am I the only one who thinks that if you want to make a successor type game that you'd need a new Metal (or whatever) Sonic design? Counting everything that wasn't either on the gamegear or 32x, they never reused the same design. And I believe that had they continued to go off the developments of Sonic and Knuckles, they probably would have either not had a metal Sonic design in or made something that would have again changed the design to be sleeker and more complex looking.

Yeah, but this is the coolest design for Metal Sonic. :P

Also, it's been reused the most in all the official Sonic games.


I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with it being the coolest. I preferred Sonic and Knuckles' design myself. Regardless, which design I prefer doesn't change the fact that had Takashi Yuda done character designs for a Sonic 4, and provided they chose to have a Metal Sonic in it, it almost certainly would have been a new design. It isn't really that important obviously, but it's one of my hang-ups.


I loved seeing Metal Sonic's classic design in OVA and Heroes. It has Sonic's proportions and that's basically what Metal Sonic is about: a robotic rival created by Robotnik to mirror Sonic's abilities. The S3K design is cool too, but that's not the same robot. It's janother one. I don't think there's anything to prove they're the same.
This post has been edited by TiagoJ7: 10 November 2008 - 09:50 AM

#13 User is offline SonikkuForever 

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:05 PM

  • Be cool, be wild, and be groovy!
  • Posts: 569
  • Joined: 04-November 08
  • Gender:Female
  • Project:Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
  • Wiki edits:56
Looks awesome, but Robotnik needs eyebrows to make him look cunning and evil. Without them, he looks almost friendly. If anyone needs reference pictures of Sonic and the gang, try this website: http://sonicresearch...art/index2.html

#14 User is offline Thundertimi 

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:30 AM

  • Posts: 265
  • Joined: 21-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sonic Retro (Artwork team)
  • Wiki edits:2
Posted Image

Some of my sprites.

(Zenor made orginal version of fish.)
This post has been edited by Thundertimi: 11 November 2008 - 10:36 AM

#15 User is offline Zenor 

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:10 AM

  • flip the chessboard over
  • Posts: 255
  • Joined: 09-April 07
  • Gender:Male
QUOTE (Thundertimi @ Nov 11 2008, 07:30 AM) [post="243919"]Posted Image

Some of my sprites.

(Zenor made orginal version of fish.)[/quote]

So it seems like another of my sprites isn't "genesis style enough". Seriously, what happened to my chamaleon sprites?
This post has been edited by Zenor: 11 November 2008 - 11:17 AM

  • 15 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users