Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: General Questions and Information Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 42 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

General Questions and Information Thread was More requests/B-Club, PSIV, and some game ID for now :/

#616 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:23 AM

• maybe she's born with it
  • Project:maybe it's maybelline
  • Wiki edits:20,569
Almost everything I post is wiki related. This is to inspire others to get involved.

Incidentally one goal for Sonic Retro is to absorb Sonic Gear in its entirity, providing context on merchandise as well as higher resolution photographs and scans. This is how far we've got on that - both Sonic and Sega Retro are completely reliant on volunteers.

#617 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:31 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2
Persona 5 Art Prints:

https://www.candb.co...collection.html

#618 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:39 AM

Another world first: Golden Axe (home computers)/Comparisons.

The IBM graphics modes of Golden Axe, side-by-side.

You know, because you wanted that.

#619 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:31 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 05 August 2018 - 07:39 AM, said:

Another world first: Golden Axe (home computers)/Comparisons.

The IBM graphics modes of Golden Axe, side-by-side.

Well, that's interesting to see even if this game doesn't have completely different sets of graphics for the less colorful versions (since they're all just copy-pasted on the arcade's).

Is there a technical explanation to why the Tandy graphics are exactly the same as in EGA mode, but with the backgrounds (and only the backgrounds) featuring vertical dithering instead?
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 10 August 2018 - 02:37 PM

#620 User is offline grap3fruitman 

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:29 PM

• Wiki edits:5
So, I need a couple questions if anyone can point me in the right direction. I'm trying to date all the different builds of DOA and I've fallen down a well of different versions: https://i.imgur.com/oYESIff.png
  • How do Dreamcast demo discs work? I've been able to determine the ODCM May 2000 disc has a build date of 2000-02-16 from the track01.bin but how can I determine the build date of a specific demo within? DOA2DC.BIN is the executable but it doesn't seem to have a build or compile date listed anywhere so I'm not sure what other avenues to try. This demo's build date is 2001-01-07, per the date modified on the executable, putting it a full two months earlier than the final 2000-03-06. The demo build is unique and is an in-progress arcade port despite the final having already released in Feb/March: The attract screen is unique being almost identical to the original Rev A arcade release (camera flythrough of stages) but adds different characters' lines each time you get to the title screen (the other arcade and home versions had a single line uttered by Kasumi) and it also adds the auto-demo from the other arcade versions but not the intro that was already present in Rev B or Millennium. There's also missing sound effects and one minor texture change on a stage. The end-boss stage is actually playable in both the auto-demo and for the player! This level was not playable for normal characters (outside story mode battles set there) until the F2P 2008 Chinese-only PC release. The DC version added fixed texture character portraits at the character select screen in order to speed up loading so each characters' costume didn't preview like in the arcade build, this change is not yet present in this demo build (you can switch the character previews on like the arcade version in the final build however).
  • Like, there's also another Dreamcast kiosk-exclusive demo of a slightly different build that I personally recall playing back at EB in 2000 that doesn't appear to be dumped in any form.
  • How about Naomi and Model 2? I'm also trying to date the arcade versions of DOA1 and 2 but I'd love to be able to rip the data out of there and look inside but I don't have a clue how to split those ROMs.
  • The 1998 PSX port of DOA1 has character portrait names viewable in plain text and you can plainly see three blank spots. I haven't been able to find where this same data would be stored in the original 1996 arcade version or Saturn port but if there was any chance of leftover character data it would be in earlier iterations. I'm surprised that was present in the PSX version and I suspect that the two added characters in the PSX port may have taken up old slots. I'm speculating but I'd like to look at the earlier versions so I can made a definitive determination. I've just translated a bunch of concept art with cut characters and suddenly so many internal filename references make so much sense now: a majority of characters even in 2 and 3 refer to characters by their prototype names (Kelly>Zack, Lugh/Loo>Jann Lee, Kamui>Hayabusa, Fan-Fu>Gen-Fu, Gatsby>Bayman) and there's still some proto refs/names I don't yet understand (Ein is KT? Helena is HI?) so I still have digging to do.
  • Where can I best document these things? "Sega" Retro would only apply to the versions running on Sega hardware so what I can post there is limited, although I will, and the FSD wiki is absolute garbage. There doesn't seem to be a community or wiki for documenting this level of detail for games outside of Sonic and Sega (look at what you people did to me). TCRF is close but they're specifically only interested in proto stuff and while I'll get to the proto stuff eventually but right now I'm just trying to establish an accurate database of all the different available versions. Then I can start better documenting actual differences. It got to the point where I was going to run my own MediaWiki server off a v2 Rasp Pi until I found something. But the power cord's loose and got bumped during "apt-get upgrade" and now a majority of my drivers broke and I can't even navigate with a mouse. fml
  • Like, I think there might be a bunch of leftover unused character samples in the arcade build but I don't know how to best document that.
  • I don't know how to document any of the things I'm finding... halp
  • holy shit this DOA2 demo has unique song mixes - they don't match the arcadeor consoleversions: Edit: youtube playlist: https://t.co/bm1x65Wz5S
  • also has a bunch of dialogue differences - ran a script to extract it and compared to the final build and the proto on Hidden-Palace. edit: added them to the wiki https://segaretro.or...#Beta_Subtitles

Helena---------------------------
DEMO  Name: OPN_SNG006f.ADX Size: 9471630 bytes (9 MB) CRC32: 3C728FE2
FINAL Name: OPN_SNG006f.ADX Size: 9471630 bytes (9 MB) CRC32: 3C728FE2

Ayane---------------------------
DEMO  Name: OPN_SNG006e.ADX Size: 8451782 bytes (8 MB) CRC32: E2ABE85E
FINAL Name: OPN_SNG006e.ADX Size: 8451782 bytes (8 MB) CRC32: E2ABE85E

Kasumi---------------------------
DEMO  Name: OPN_SNG0070.ADX Size: 9111734 bytes (8 MB) CRC32: 843AEB12
FINAL Name: OPN_SNG0071.ADX Size: 9111734 bytes (8 MB) CRC32: 843AEB12

Ein---------------------------
DEMO  Name: OPN_SNG0071.ADX Size: 9147270 bytes (8 MB) CRC32: C084C786
FINAL Name: OPN_SNG0072.ADX Size: 9045138 bytes (8 MB) CRC32: 6D5AC1DE

Leifang---------------------------
DEMO  Name: OPN_SNG0072.ADX Size: 8493082 bytes (8 MB) CRC32: 7246C826
FINAL Name: OPN_SNG0073.ADX Size: 8493082 bytes (8 MB) CRC32: 7246C826

Jann Lee---------------------------
DEMO  Name: OPN_SNG0073.ADX Size: 7840510 bytes (7 MB) CRC32: E98C605D
FINAL Name: OPN_SNG0074.ADX Size: 7843538 bytes (7 MB) CRC32: 3D22091F

Character Select
---------------------------
DEMO  Name: OPN_SNG0075.ADX Size: 1866930 bytes (1 MB) CRC32: C8A001AF
FINAL Name: OPN_SNG0076.ADX Size: 1992482 bytes (1 MB) CRC32: 63515181

This post has been edited by grap3fruitman: Yesterday, 10:38 AM

#621 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:09 PM

I'd love to say we could accommodate all the versions but we have to draw a line somewhere.

The good news is I would be totally willing to stretch that line for comparison purposes. e.g. Saturn vs. PlayStation - who wins and how. If that means PlayStation screenshots need to be supplied to illustrate things, then that's fair game, as long as we're not delving too deep into PlayStation-only matters. Use your imagination.

And of course, because Dead or Alive and Dead or Alive 2 were originally released for Sega arcade hardware, the development story is within scope.

I absolutely want to see us cover prototypes in an intelligent way (similarly to how I was pushing things on Sonic Retro a couple of months ago (p.s. still waiting for prototype maps)). The problem, as you've noted, is that TCRF has a dedicated community for this sort of thing and is probably better equipped, particularly when it comes to DoA which covers Xboxes and PlayStations which we would never want to touch.

That being said, we do have pages on demos - they just require more volunteers.

Even the most tangentially-related Sega things are often within the scope of Sega Retro. To put this into perspective, Jump Around, a 1992 hip hop track by House of Pain includes this:

I'm the cream of the crop, I rise to the top
I never eat a pig, 'cause a pig is a cop
Or better yet a Terminator, like Arnold Schwarzanegger
Try to play me out like, as if my name was Sega

I am not far away from a "references in music" page.
This post has been edited by Black Squirrel: 14 August 2018 - 02:10 PM

#622 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted Yesterday, 12:06 PM

Reeeetttrrooo

Posted Image

https://picclick.com...3383421489.html
https://picclick.com...3476616908.html

Coca-Cola vending machine robots.

Coca-Cola vending machine robots

Posted Image

#623 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted Today, 11:43 AM

Posted Image

Here is an issue of "Smash", a short-lived German gaming magazine from 1989. I think there might be as little as four issues in total.

The end goal will be full scans of everything, but right now I'm trying to establish whether there was any meaningful Sega coverage. This issue mentions it on the cover - others don't. It appears to be geared more around home computers, which is what you'd expect for the time period.

Usually I'd prepare Sega Retro up for it regardless, but if the only mention of Sega is this front cover, it's not worth the effort. A magazine can claim to support a console but it doesn't mean they'll write about it every issue.

• 42 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users