Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Naka Interview answers many questions - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 10 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Naka Interview answers many questions

#16 User is offline Dude 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:14 PM

• 3ds MAX Help Desk
  • Project:Sonic Adventure Generations
  • Wiki edits:43

LOst, on Oct 1 2005, 07:42 AM, said:

Vangar, on Oct 1 2005, 02:24 PM, said:

What if we give it to them?

We don't. We are the owner of Sonic now. Mwahaha.

EDIT: Seriously, if they know we are using the code, they will do anything to stop us. Do you really want Sonic Team to have to code? They will not use it, and we will not be able to use it anymore. That scenario is not good in anyway.

you're an idiot. Sega knows we disassemble their games, and naka is GLAD we're dedicated enough to do it. If we gave him the source he wouldn't shut us down. As long as we don't go stealing their physical copies, or mass leaking game data before release, they're cool with us

#17 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:17 PM

• roxoring your soxors
  • Project:Guitar Hero II: Rhythm Games Community Edition aka Pizza Hero II: Electric Pizza
  • Wiki edits:3
Yeah, we know so much about the games, I think we should actually approach them, offering assistance. Maybe some of us could even get jobs where you actually get paid, by Sega, to hack Sonic ROMs?

For example, wouldn't it be awesome if Stealth was able to coordinate with Sonic Team and KiS1 became an unlockable in a future compilation?

I just don't understand why there's this abyss between us and Sonic Team - if anyone could help ST bring Sonic back to his roots, it's us. We know the games inside out, and I think this is an instance where elitism should go by the wayside.

#18 User is offline SGR 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:19 PM

• It's time for Animaniacs.
  • Wiki edits:84

"Sonic band"

Posted Image

Are you people thinking what I'm thinking?

#19 User is offline JJ-Fox 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:28 PM

• :|
  • Wiki edits:17
that's exactly what I thought of when I read that part.

Edit: Oh I didn't see the picture... I was thinking of the "Sonic Band" where they had Vector the Crorcodile in it.
This post has been edited by jjftails35: 01 October 2005 - 01:30 PM

#20 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:34 PM

• roxoring your soxors
  • Project:Guitar Hero II: Rhythm Games Community Edition aka Pizza Hero II: Electric Pizza
Um...that's what he posted. =P

And that's exactly why a Sonic 1 alpha or beta would be the holy grail - there's a chance that it would have that partially implemented. Things like that, which were never seen, on the Genesis, in any form.
This post has been edited by Super LocalH: 01 October 2005 - 01:36 PM

#21 User is offline Qjimbo 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:36 PM

• Your friendly neighbourhood lemming.
  • Wiki edits:69

Super LocalH, on Oct 1 2005, 05:17 PM, said:

Yeah, we know so much about the games, I think we should actually approach them, offering assistance. Maybe some of us could even get jobs where you actually get paid, by Sega, to hack Sonic ROMs?

For example, wouldn't it be awesome if Stealth was able to coordinate with Sonic Team and KiS1 became an unlockable in a future compilation?

I just don't understand why there's this abyss between us and Sonic Team - if anyone could help ST bring Sonic back to his roots, it's us. We know the games inside out, and I think this is an instance where elitism should go by the wayside.

That post is so Simon-esque! Co-adminship is clearly rubbing off on you :P

But I agree entirely, we need to strengthen our connections with SEGA, otherwise it'll be another site that gets there first. Probably Sonic CuLT, hell they're probably thinking the same thing. We have to act fast essentially.

#22 User is offline Quickman 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:40 PM

• Project:omg porjcet
  • Wiki edits:10

Super LocalH, on Oct 1 2005, 05:17 PM, said:

It'd be nice if something could come back to the community in thanks for its combined effort (one person cannot hold up an entire secrets discovery scene) rather than one person being paid. "An increased amount of money to buy prototypes" feels a little indirect with little net use to anyone who isn't the guy being paid to find stuff given the paucity of anything worth throwing money at which could be a prototype.

I envisage someone being paid to hack ROMs by Sega and being granted access to what they DO have hidden away as a thankyou to the community. As with all best-case scenarios, unfortunately, it'll never happen.

#23 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:46 PM

• roxoring your soxors
Unfortunately, we live in a capitalist society, and "the good of the community" is way down there on the list of things that are "important". I mean, sure, it would be hella nice to get access to privileged information, but if it was to happen, it would probably be under NDA.

#24 User is offline Ben2k9 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 07:15 PM

• We stand to Fight
  • Project:none at the mo
http://xbox.gamespy....4/654750p1.html

some excerps:

GameSpy: Sonic CD is thought of as the most "mysterious" game in the Sonic series, mainly because you can see that many ideas the staff had either weren't fully implemented or were cut altogether (for example, there is an entire stage gone from the stage select). People are very curious about ideas the Sonic Team staff had for the game but weren't able to implement. Can you tell us anything about those?

Naka Well, it's the same thing as with Sonic the Fighters. I didn't do very much with Sonic CD, since I was working on Sonic 2 during most of that time, so I can't really say too much about it. But the Sonic games are pretty famous for having things left on the cutting room floor. I mean, 1, 2, and 3ALL had stages cut from them! I think the most famous loss was the Hidden Palace Zone in Sonic 2. We simply ran out of time to fully implement that into the game. The same thing happened with Sonic 3. See, we had all kinds of ideas for those games, things above and beyond even the Hidden Palace. But the Hidden Palace is pretty well known because it was all over the media before we eventually had to cut it. All the players were just left wondering where it went! So ... I'm guessing the stuff cut out of Sonic CD was probably done for similar reasons -- either we were running out of time or things just weren't working out. Making games is a business, after all, and sometimes it simply has to be done.

GameSpy: Actually, can I ask a question about the Hidden Palace? It's something a lot of fans have always been very curious about. Have you ever thought about including the stage as some sort of "bonus" on the compilation disks?

Naka No, we haven't. We looked all over for some sort of source for it, since EVERYONE seems to want to play it, but we just don't have the original code for the stage anymore. It was lost quite some time ago. Seriously, though, the most we ever had finished and playable was the first part of the level. You could run around on floors, maybe even cross a bridge or two! And then you'd wind up in a portion that wasn't complete yet and had nothing there ... and then you'd DIE. Exciting stuff, huh? I'm not sure why people would want to play that.

GameSpy: OK, off topic, but this came to mind when we were talking about the Hidden Palace Zone ... there are entire fansites out there devoted to hacking Sonic games and finding all the things Sonic Team was working on, but never used in the finished product. What do you think of this?

Naka Wow, people do that? I didn't know. I guess I am pretty surprised at the level of dedication of fans on the Internet. But how do I say this ... there is a bit of a problem. I mean, I am glad that people really, really like the games, but if it gets to the point where they are engaging in activities that can hurt us or Sega in some way, that's not good at all. Like, way back when we had a beta ROM of Sonic 2 that was stolen by someone. That one even had the Hidden Palace in it.

GameSpy: There's actually a beta ROM with the Hidden Palace code that's been floating around the Internet for a while.

Naka What? You're kidding! Tell me more. I'd really like to get that back. *laugh* I guess we know what happened to that now... You see, back in mid-1992 we had taken a demonstration cartridge to a toy show in New York. It wound up being stolen, and although we searched and searched all over, it was never found. So that's probably where the data comes from. What's the Hidden Palace in this one like?

GameSpy: There's stuff in the stage, but it's impossible to play past a certain point.

Naka Yep, that sounds exactly like what we lost!

GameSpy: Was the Hidden Palace meant to be "hidden," then?

Naka Actually, no, the basic idea was about the same as it was in Sonic and Knuckles. You'd encounter the stage through normal play by collecting the emeralds. The idea behind the stage was, "Where do the Chaos Emeralds come from?" That's where Sonic was originally supposed to be granted his Super Sonic powers. We finally were able to use it in S&K, though it wound up being quite different from what we had planned in Sonic 2. But even from Sonic 1 we'd been throwing around those sorts of ideas. Still, when we were running out of time, we looked over things quickly trying to figure out what to dump ... and CHOP went the Hidden Palace. There's simply no way we could have thrown that in by the deadline at the rate we were going.

LOL!!!!

Naka Ah, yes, those. I'm not surprised. See, we left the debug codes in the games because we thought people would have fun playing around with them. *laugh* But yeah, there was a lot of leftovers and unused stuff in Sonic 1 as well. I remember we made a rabbit enemy. It was lik e... "Rabbit-bus." Or "Rabbit-taxi." You know, sort of like Catbus (from My Neighbor Totoro).

Splats' Official name!!

I think it may be time to update the site simon :)

EDIT: sorry, I didnt see this topic, I need glasses...
This post has been edited by Ben2k9: 01 October 2005 - 07:31 PM

#25 User is offline Simon 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 07:34 PM

• Wiki edits:1
Hoho.... so the n00bs were correct about Sonic getting his Emeralds power in Hidden Palace?

But now there's a problem: What Naka said conflicted with what Craig Stitt said.
http://www.s2beta.co...s/hidden_palace
I guess Naka's words takes precedence.

Expect a news update soon.

#26 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 07:49 PM

Wow, really nice stuff. Never knew Naka was so enthusiastic... =P

The question now is this: Will he be willing to work with us exclusively? He has the real answers we need. It's just about asking the right questions...

#27 User is offline Ben2k9 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:39 PM

• We stand to Fight

Tweaker, on Oct 2 2005, 01:49 AM, said:

The question now is this: Will he be willing to work with us exclusively? He has the real answers we need. It's just about asking the right questions...

he doesn't even know this community exists, its far from likely he'll actually co-operate with us

*expecting Naka-san joke account to log in and make a post any minute now*

#28 User is offline Weird Person 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:42 PM

• You lost two seconds reading this
  • Project:Who knows?

Tweaker, on Oct 1 2005, 04:49 PM, said:

I highly doubt he'll work or cooperate with us (giving betas, etc. Interviews? maybe.), because he have a job at SEGA. If Yuji Middle gives a beta, SEGA will fire him imediatly.

And about HPZ, after read the Interview, What I understood is that Hidden Palace Zone was cutten because the cartridge who have the data of HPZ was stole and SEGA never got it back? or did I read something wrong? God, In that time, there weren't Floppy Disks or K-7 Tapes?
This post has been edited by Weird Person: 01 October 2005 - 08:43 PM

#29 User is offline Ben2k9 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:45 PM

• We stand to Fight
no, they cut it because they put it off and there was no time to complete it, which suggests our beta is a late beta.

GameSpy asked if he would include the completed level in any compilation and he said no because the code was lost.

if he downloaded the beta, he'll have it :P so who wants to mail it him then? :P

#30 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:45 PM

It's bullshit. They can lose one cartridge, but they have thousands of extra copies. That's no reason to cut the level.

And Ben, work or cooperate, I mean the same damn thing. No bitchy plz. :o

• 10 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users