Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Connection between "DHZ" and "the desert level" - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 7 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Connection between "DHZ" and "the desert level"

#16 User is offline Timecrash 

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:41 PM

• I, Timecrash, will knock you all down!
  • Project:College.
Odd how HPZ and HTZ sound a bit alike....Anyway, I think that DHZ was a really early level, probably in the alpha, with the playability of S2B-era HPZ, or less. Too bad Brenda Ross couldn't tell us if the level she talked about was related to the mock-up.

#17 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:44 PM

• Wiki edits:18

Probably a bad time to bring this topic up (ICEknight is gonna explode), but it needs to be clarified.

Why would I explode? Your posts make sense. :P

I'll try to explain my reasons for still not thinking that Dust Hill was necessarily the desert level.

First of all, keep in mind that this interview was sent to her after she had already chosen the person to contact. So there was a previous email that was probably in the lines of those you've seen posted in these forums, asking things like "We know you made Dust Hill, tell us about it".

Also remember that, as stated in the first paragraph of the interview, she was completely flooded with emails speaking of Dust Hill, so in the couple of weeks (months?) while she was waiting for the interview to arrive, she was expecting to receive questions about that "Dust Hill" thing all the emails mentioned. She just wasn't in a position to say that they were all wrong only because she didn't remember the title. I think that, had we known about the winter level before, everybody would have mentioned "Winter Hill" or some other assumed name, in the emails she was sent, and she would have answered as if it was the real title.

I've just found something in the interview that could illustrate what I'm talking about...
In one of the first questions she was asked about the "woods zone" instead of "Wood Zone":

If you could would you recreate the desert and woods zone?

Later, in one of the other questions, she assumed that it was the correct name and she said:

I think that Dust Hill was completed entirely, and woods zone was mostly done.

Exactly as the interviewer said, not even with added capital letters. She was already told that the desert was Dust Hill, so that's how she refers to it.

Also, due to the lack of everything professional in the interview and the huge dramas involving politics in the "Sonic scene" at that time, I wouldn't be surprised if some things were "corrected" by the people behind it.

As you see, there's many reasons why I still think that this interview can't be considered as the ultimate proof for the desert level being called "Dust Hill".

#18 User is offline Quickman 

Posted 27 January 2004 - 01:03 PM

• Project:omg porjcet
  • Wiki edits:10
I'm inclined to agree with ICEknight, for his reasons and also because we never at any stage had proof that Dust Hill Zone was the level on which she worked. We assumed "oh, Dust Hill sounds desertish so it must be that desert zone mockup".

#19 User is offline Fiz 

Posted 27 January 2004 - 01:29 PM

• FACKIN' BIG PENIS
  • Project:PENIS

Quick Man, on Jan 27 2004, 01:03 PM, said:

I'm inclined to agree with ICEknight, for his reasons and also because we never at any stage had proof that Dust Hill Zone was the level on which she worked. We assumed "oh, Dust Hill sounds desertish so it must be that desert zone mockup".

I agree as well. I don't think Dust Hill sounds desert-ish at all to me. To me it sounds exactly like it says, a hill of dust. *shrugs*

#20 User is offline Badass Cyborg 

Posted 27 January 2004 - 01:32 PM

Fiz, on Jan 27 2004, 06:29 PM, said:

Quick Man, on Jan 27 2004, 01:03 PM, said:

I agree as well. I don't think Dust Hill sounds desert-ish at all to me. To me it sounds exactly like it says, a hill of dust. *shrugs*

So then, perhaps DHZ and the "Desert Zone" were two completely different levels? I mean, now that I think about it, what proof have we that the "desert" pic is in fact a screenshot/mock-up of DHZ?
This post has been edited by Badass Cyborg: 27 January 2004 - 01:35 PM

#21 User is offline Mr.Unsmiley 

Posted 27 January 2004 - 05:01 PM

Badass Cyborg, on Jan 27 2004, 01:32 PM, said:

So then, perhaps DHZ and the "Desert Zone" were two completely different levels? I mean, now that I think about it, what proof have we that the "desert" pic is in fact a screenshot/mock-up of DHZ?

None! Exactly what I have been saying for years, only no one herd me.

#22 User is offline Diego 

Posted 27 January 2004 - 05:09 PM

You're right! All we have (on the site as far as I can find, but then again I'm blind :P) is the screenshot of the desert level with no text saying what level it is. We've just been assuming that Dust Hill = desert level.

#23 User is offline Guess Who 

Posted 27 January 2004 - 05:43 PM

• It's a miracle!
  • Project:lol
  • Wiki edits:2

Mr Bob, on Jan 27 2004, 05:01 PM, said:

Badass Cyborg, on Jan 27 2004, 01:32 PM, said:

None! Exactly what I have been saying for years, only no one herd me.

For years? You just joined LAST WEEK. Of course we didn't hear you! And personally, I think DHZ sounds pretty *desert*-ish. There is dust (sand), and, considering Emerald Hill wasn't really a hill, they added Hill to the end, like other zones that they couldn't think of a second name for. Anyone who plays SA or SA:DX: Remember "Sand Hill"?

#24 User is offline Quickman 

Posted 27 January 2004 - 06:25 PM

Dust - Miscellaneous skin flakings, hair and such which cannot be seen with the naked eye.

Sand - Larger silicon dioxide constructs which CAN be seen by the naked eye (although with difficulty).

Dust is not sand.

#25 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 27 January 2004 - 06:29 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Thus, making the "Dust Hill" name suitable for a cavern like Mystic Cave.

#26 User is offline Ben2k9 

Posted 27 January 2004 - 06:37 PM

• We stand to Fight
  • Project:none at the mo
what ever name it was, I doubt it was even impelemented in sonic 2 IMO, only the art was made for it.

oh and I completly agree, hill top zone was a stupid rehash and I would rather have hidden pallace any day.

#27 User is offline Guess Who 

Posted 27 January 2004 - 06:48 PM

• It's a miracle!
  • Project:lol
  • Wiki edits:2

Quick Man, on Jan 27 2004, 06:25 PM, said:

Dust - Miscellaneous skin flakings, hair and such which cannot be seen with the naked eye.

Ever heard the saying "eat my dust"? And, how that has to do with races, where the "dust" means the dirt behind the racer, that is coming up? And what does dirt often contain?

Sand!!!

#28 User is offline Quickman 

Posted 27 January 2004 - 07:11 PM

Usually that sort of dust is dried-out soil. Not sand. There may be sand there, but it's not exclusively sand.

Besides, "Dust Hill" is more rocky canyon to me. Not sand.

#29 User is offline T.Q. 

Posted 27 January 2004 - 07:21 PM

• The Sims 2, Dr. Julian Ivo Robotnik
  • Project:The company is now bankrupt. No more lego game show creations will occur
  • Wiki edits:5
Well here's a definition of "DUST" from the Merriam-Webster's Dictionary Online provided by Simon in the GCZ Prototype Zone area (the website):

http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?...=dust&x=25&y=11
This post has been edited by T.Q.: 27 January 2004 - 07:22 PM

#30 User is offline Absolute Chaos 

Posted 28 January 2004 - 05:00 AM

• Project:Sonic 2 Evolution, Sonic DX
In my opinion, Dust Hill is a perfect name for a Sonic's desert leves. A great part of the names the zones aren't literally. For example:
Sparkling Zone: I think this is a good name for a Sonic's level that is a city very illuminate, and for this reason is the beta name of SYZ IMO.
Clock Work Zone: A name descripted a place with much machinery as SBZ.
Marble Garden Zone: There are a ruins as MZ, not a "garden".
IceCap Zone: Again, this name describes a ice Sonic's zone.
Flying Battery: This isn't a "flying battery", is a flying fortress as WFZ...
Sandopolis Zone: This isn't a "metropolis of sand", are ancient ruins of the desert...

So Dust Hill is a good name for a Sonic's desert zone IMO.

• 7 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users