Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: The Truth About Dust Hill Zone - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 24 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

The Truth About Dust Hill Zone

#31 User is offline T.Q. 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:28 PM

• The Sims 2, Dr. Julian Ivo Robotnik
  • Project:The company is now bankrupt. No more lego game show creations will occur
  • Wiki edits:5

View PostSik, on Sep 13 2008, 03:26 PM, said:

View PostT.Q., on Sep 13 2008, 05:16 PM, said:

Since you guys have contact with Hirokazu Yasuhara, maybe you can ask him questions about the planning of Sonic 2, before any demos, alphas, and betas were created (e.g. storyboarding, other concept arts). Maybe we can find out what descriptive names each zones was given (e.g. skyscraper zone as Oil Ocean). Basically, a formal interview about the intial stages of Sonic 2.

Give him a break, geese! >_>

Well of course! I didn't say to ask him now. Although if that was what you thought was implied, then my apologies for not detailing my post enough. I meant for future interviews.
This post has been edited by T.Q.: 13 September 2008 - 02:29 PM

#32 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:31 PM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865

View PostGameNerd Advance, on Sep 13 2008, 02:00 PM, said:

Holy shit. Actual confirmation of Dust Hill zone's meaning?

:colbert:

I miss the days back when ... the words "Dust Hill" would cause flamewars.

You mean yesterday?

#33 User is offline saxman 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:42 PM

• Oldbie
  • Wiki edits:136
One thing I did note in the past (before I decided to side with ICEknight) was that Oil Ocean has a blazing hot sun. It just happens to be the level before Mystic Cave (0A -> 0B).

While we're on the subject, something I always thought was that slot 06 was used for the winter level before being scrapped and eventually turned into Wing Fortress.
This post has been edited by saxman: 13 September 2008 - 03:04 PM

#34 User is offline Sik 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:50 PM

• Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11
And you forget the arabian-like music it had...

#35 User is offline JoseTB 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:04 PM

• Wiki edits:4
Soo it turns out whoever came with the by that time somehow "random" assumption that dust hill = desert level was actually right... well, this was indeed unexpected for me :P nice find.

#36 User is offline Wetflame 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:05 PM

• :D
  • Wiki edits:3
What's worse is that I've known this for a day or two :P

Seriously though, how did Dust Hill end up being assigned to Mystic Caves? That's what I really want to know. Also whether Dust Hill was meant to have the snow section - that makes sense, as I said "Dust" describes both snow and sand(though is technically incorrect for both - particles considered dust are actually 75% and under the size of sand grains, but kids won't know this).

I'll have to wait see if he responds to my questions and see if I can fire another one at him, but I've no idea how often he checks the site, maybe not that often.

I think this is good for the community because it highlights the importance of theories and logical reason over "technical evidence", which in this case turned out to be meaningless due to it being little more than procrastination on keeping the level select and title cards up to date. I don't want people to take away from this "Oh so that crazy crowd just so happened to be right". Anything could happen to be right by "chance", like Xenu really DOES exist, but that's a random belief drawn out of air; there was reason to back this conclusion.

I hope this changes the way we think about "research" in the future, and brings back the fun and wonder of the A51 back into the spotlight, at least a little.
This post has been edited by Wetflame: 13 September 2008 - 03:08 PM

#37 User is offline MK 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:05 PM

• Hacker
  • Project:Secret :o o:
  • Wiki edits:852

View Postsaxman, on Sep 13 2008, 03:42 PM, said:

One thing I did note in the past (before I decided to side with ICEknight) was that Oil Ocean has a blazing hot sun. It just happens to be the level before Mystic Cave (0A -> 0B).

While we're on the subject, something I always thought was that slot 06 was used for the winter level before being scrapped and eventually turned into Wing Fortress.

Brenda Ross was asked about this in an interview and said they weren't related, if I recall correctly.

#38 User is offline Hivebrain 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:08 PM

• Project:HivePal 2.0
  • Wiki edits:6,176
I would prefer some physical evidence, like a ROM or some concept art.

#39 User is offline muteKi 

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
Now, it never was clear for me -- were there supposed to be in-level transitions to ice areas a la Freezeflame from Mario Galaxy?

In that case the idea isn't that random. To wit: http://info.sonicret...amond_Dust_Zone

#40 User is offline Tweaker 

View PostWetflame, on Sep 13 2008, 04:05 PM, said:

Seriously though, how did Dust Hill end up being assigned to Mystic Caves?

Magazine scans and nonsensical technical tidbits. They still don't make sense, admittedly (I guess that was the point you were making), but I suppose reasoning held credence over magazine scans. =P

This experience has definitely taught me to never trust magazine scans again, though. Final Fever? Pff! :colbert:

I'll have to wait see if he responds to my questions and see if I can fire another one at him, but I've no idea how often he checks the site, maybe not that often.

I don't mean to be blunt or anything, but I don't think he's going to check that website. If we decide to maintain contact to ask questions, it will likely be through Sik and Senn again, and we'll have to plan it out very carefully—he's very simple when answering questions, so we'll have to be simple in asking them.

#41 User is offline MK 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:10 PM

• Hacker

View PostmuteKi, on Sep 13 2008, 04:08 PM, said:

Now, it never was clear for me -- were there supposed to be in-level transitions to ice areas a la Freezeflame from Mario Galaxy?

In that case the idea isn't that random. To wit: http://info.sonicret...amond_Dust_Zone

No.

ICEknight: And by the way, we're not even sure if it was just one level with a palette change in the middle or two separate, but similar, zones like Emerald Hill / Hill Top.

Tim Skelly: There would have been two separate zones, spaced far enough apart so that the player wouldn't notice the repetition of the art.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Tim_Skelly_inte...t_(August_2004)
This post has been edited by MK: 13 September 2008 - 03:11 PM

#42 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:12 PM

• Fuck it
Ah, okay. That clears that up for me.

#43 User is offline Wetflame 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:14 PM

• :D
  • Wiki edits:3
QUOTE (Puto @ Sep 13 2008, 02:23 PM) [post="224766"]Posted Image
[/quote]

Actually we have the same thing for Dust Hill = Mystic Cave and that turned out to be bollocks. Like I said, they just shoved the title cards in at random without updating them.

Also, I'm reading the thread right now, and on family fortune they just had "Things you associate with a desert".

But you know what the most EPIC thing of all is?

This could mean Neo Green Hill is yet ANOTHER scrapped zone. Like I said way back in 2001 or so. Maybe that level is in an even earlier proto.

#44 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:15 PM

• Fuck it
I'd say that might be the reason that they kept the GHZ art in the NA build we have (and then they got rid of it because there was already EHZ and HTZ), but then it could also just be that they never bothered to get rid of it while making new art (and not intending to put anything like GHZ in the new game).

EDIT: Attempted to clarify -- I didn't think this was worded very well.
This post has been edited by muteKi: 13 September 2008 - 03:19 PM

#45 User is offline MK 

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:16 PM

• Hacker
Haha, I forgot about that Neo Green H◎◎◎ image. Yeah, maybe it was yet another mystery.

• 24 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users