Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 730 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) Developed by Christian Whitehead, Headcannon and PagodaWest

#10741 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:48 PM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostJaxTH, on 17 January 2018 - 06:37 PM, said:

View PostBlue Blood, on 17 January 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

View PostJaxTH, on 17 January 2018 - 05:34 PM, said:

View PostNeo, on 17 January 2018 - 10:11 AM, said:

there's naming atrocities like Hydro City Zone

That has always been it's name...?

Posted Image

That's never been its name.

It's not my fault you've been pronouncing it wrong this whole time.

This isn't about the pronunciation thing though - "Hydrocity" is all one word in both S3 and Mania, regardless of how you pronounce it. The track title on this OST looks a bit sloppy.

#10742 User is offline Ashram 

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:19 PM

• Wiki edits:13

View PostYeow, on 17 January 2018 - 12:32 PM, said:

View PostICEknight, on 17 January 2018 - 06:25 AM, said:

Jesus christ SEGA, just invest whatever you'd spend on Iizuka's next Sonic game in buying the rights to Nakamura's, Sonic 3 and Sonic CD tracks and vocals already.

I don't think that anybody would have a problem with exchanging a Sonic Forces 2 for no more incomplete official soundtracks and ersatz music in games ever again.

Sonic CD music rights (for both soundtracks) have been cleared for a while now, at least as far back as the CD re-release. The only thing that was initially up in the air was the JP vocal tracks, but IIRC they were smoothed out later.

As Ashram said, Nakamura prefers getting paid by Sega every time they want to use his Sonic 1/2 compositions, and thus likely won't be interested in Sega outright purchasing them. But at least paying for royalties is the only roadblock towards using them. Heck, we were able to get the original demos to the soundtracks with the Sonic 1 + 2 OST release not too long ago (correct me if I'm wrong) as well as remastered versions of the songs in the Sonic 1/2 mobile...remasters.

It's the whole dummy spit with MJ and his crew's involvement with Sonic 3 (and supposedly to a lesser extent, Sonic & Knuckles) that's the only real red flag concerning Sonic OSTs.

If by "not too long ago" you mean seven years ago, sure. :v

And to my knowledge we've never gotten music for the Sonic 1&2 remasters in any shape.

#10743 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:06 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash

View PostAshram, on 17 January 2018 - 07:19 PM, said:

View PostICEknight, on 17 January 2018 - 06:25 AM, said:

Jesus christ SEGA, just invest whatever you'd spend on Iizuka's next Sonic game in buying the rights to Nakamura's, Sonic 3 and Sonic CD tracks and vocals already.

I don't think that anybody would have a problem with exchanging a Sonic Forces 2 for no more incomplete official soundtracks and ersatz music in games ever again.

Sonic CD music rights (for both soundtracks) have been cleared for a while now, at least as far back as the CD re-release. The only thing that was initially up in the air was the JP vocal tracks, but IIRC they were smoothed out later.

As Ashram said, Nakamura prefers getting paid by Sega every time they want to use his Sonic 1/2 compositions, and thus likely won't be interested in Sega outright purchasing them. But at least paying for royalties is the only roadblock towards using them. Heck, we were able to get the original demos to the soundtracks with the Sonic 1 + 2 OST release not too long ago (correct me if I'm wrong) as well as remastered versions of the songs in the Sonic 1/2 mobile...remasters.

It's the whole dummy spit with MJ and his crew's involvement with Sonic 3 (and supposedly to a lesser extent, Sonic & Knuckles) that's the only real red flag concerning Sonic OSTs.

If by "not too long ago" you mean seven years ago, sure. :v

And to my knowledge we've never gotten music for the Sonic 1&2 remasters in any shape.

Got me there. I did say "correct me if I'm wrong", after all. :v:

And I didn't mean to say that the S1+2 remastered music got a soundtrack release; I meant to highlight that the music was able to be remastered in the mobile versions in the first place.
This post has been edited by Yeow: 17 January 2018 - 08:07 PM

#10744 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:14 PM

• Wiki edits:18

So they didn't just temporarily license the vocal tracks this time? Where are you getting this from?

As Ashram said, Nakamura prefers getting paid by Sega every time they want to use his Sonic 1/2 compositions, and thus likely won't be interested in Sega outright purchasing them.
...Citation needed or something.

#10745 User is offline XCubed 

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:26 PM

• Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center
  • Wiki edits:5

View PostNeo, on 17 January 2018 - 04:28 PM, said:

View PostMaster Emerald, on 17 January 2018 - 12:32 PM, said:

The intro (by tee lopes) is also SFX-free so, it's a nice touch.

Then again, the ending ditty is missing entirely, sound effects or otherwise.

View PostXCubed, on 17 January 2018 - 01:46 PM, said:

I'll continue with Neo's rips for now...

I didn't upload my rips anywhere, so that's gonna be hard.

Whoops! I remember getting them from a YT link a couple months ago from.......SpiketheEchidna.

BTW did no one notice Studiopolis Acts 1 and 2 are missing?

Im still wanting to know why this isn't available on Apple Music and only be iTunes Store. The link on Facebook leading to AM says it is not available in the US???

#10746 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:52 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash

View PostICEknight, on 17 January 2018 - 09:14 PM, said:

So they didn't just temporarily license the vocal tracks this time? Where are you getting this from?

My train of thought was assuming Sega had secured the rights to the vocal tracks (in terms of purchase, I guess) rather than pay the license to use them, but I did note IIRC--if I recall correctly. For the third time (of hopefully not many more to come), correct me if I'm wrong.

View PostICEknight, on 17 January 2018 - 09:14 PM, said:

...Citation needed or something.

Again, didn't mean to actually state that, only meant to paraphrase Ashram's speculation.

I need to be more careful and specific with my statements, lest should I request a username change to The Speculative Broken Record.

#10747 User is offline corneliab 

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:21 AM

• Isn't it about time you played some VIDEOGAMES?
  • Project:Zero Mortals
  • Wiki edits:21

View PostMaster Emerald, on 17 January 2018 - 12:41 AM, said:

Mania's OST out basically everywhere.

Missing tracks:

Trailer BGM (Hyper Potions - Time Trials)
Intro (Hyper Potions - Friends)
GHz 1
GHz 2
CPz 1
CPz 2
OOz 1
OOz 2
Ending BGM (This one)
& Knuckles Ending BGM (This one)

I actually busted up laughing when I saw this. Regardless of the circumstances, those omissions are a really bad look (particularly the ENTIRE FIRST FOUR LEVELS).

#10748 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:24 AM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN

View PostBlue Blood, on 17 January 2018 - 06:48 PM, said:

Posted Image

This isn't about the pronunciation thing though - "Hydrocity" is all one word in both S3 and Mania, regardless of how you pronounce it. The track title on this OST looks a bit sloppy.

Not arguing either side (I write it one word and pronounce it two words), but to add some fuel, Mania also uses the initials 'HC' on the stage select, which kind of implies the City part stands on it's own.

Generations also using 'Hydro City' in it's music selection makes me think that, like Square using 'Aerith' despite the original official name, that's how SEGA want it to be written outside of Mania team keeping the consistency with the original game, although the Mania team themselves seem to be divided on whether it's one word or two. (Kieren Gates and ‎Tom Fry who did the art and sprites for Mania Hydrocity when asked, both agreed "two words".)

So I think either way's fine personally, but people who insist it's still a 'Velocity' pun can get right out :v:

#10749 User is offline 360 

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:29 AM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
My eight year old self fondly remembers it as "Hydro City" so anything else is blasphemy to me. :v:

Sonic Generations pretty much confirmed the name. It's "Hydro City". Like, Sonic Team specifically coded that in, so that's what they think and it's therefore the official name.
This post has been edited by 360: 18 January 2018 - 07:29 AM

#10750 User is online Master Emerald 

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:01 AM

• Project:-
  • Wiki edits:22
Sonic Generations also used "PalmTree Panic" as the official name (in both versions, 3DS and HD), but I don't think it's more correct.
This post has been edited by Master Emerald: 18 January 2018 - 09:01 AM

#10751 User is offline Dissent 

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

View Post360, on 18 January 2018 - 07:29 AM, said:

My eight year old self fondly remembers it as "Hydro City" so anything else is blasphemy to me. :v:/>

Sonic Generations pretty much confirmed the name. It's "Hydro City". Like, Sonic Team specifically coded that in, so that's what they think and it's therefore the official name.

Look at this guy, putting any stock in what modern Sonic Team thinks of the old Sonic Team canon. :v:

#10752 User is offline XCubed 

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:36 PM

• Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center
  • Wiki edits:5

View PostSir_mihael, on 18 January 2018 - 07:24 AM, said:

View PostBlue Blood, on 17 January 2018 - 06:48 PM, said:

Posted Image

Not arguing either side (I write it one word and pronounce it two words), but to add some fuel, Mania also uses the initials 'HC' on the stage select, which kind of implies the City part stands on it's own.

Generations also using 'Hydro City' in it's music selection makes me think that, like Square using 'Aerith' despite the original official name, that's how SEGA want it to be written outside of Mania team keeping the consistency with the original game, although the Mania team themselves seem to be divided on whether it's one word or two. (Kieren Gates and ‎Tom Fry who did the art and sprites for Mania Hydrocity when asked, both agreed "two words".)

So I think either way's fine personally, but people who insist it's still a 'Velocity' pun can get right out :v:/>

Velocity, Hydrocity....missed opportunity and "HYDRO CITY" just doesn't sound as good. They should have just gone the Neo Aquatic Ruin/Neo Labyrinth Zone route.

Imagine if it were Hydropolis instead :v:

#10753 User is offline KingOfBunnies 

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:47 PM

View PostFelik, on 13 January 2018 - 04:29 PM, said:

View PostSid Starkiller, on 13 January 2018 - 03:36 PM, said:

ProJared put Mania at #9 for 2017.

He also put Doki Doki at #7 because these days being meta is apparently a substitute for substance.

Yeah. I was shocked Doki Doki was higher than Mania. I have the game in my Steam library, but I don't get the meme around the game. I guess I have to play it to find out.

#10754 User is offline Felik 

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:53 PM

• Wiki edits:1

View PostKingOfBunnies, on 18 January 2018 - 02:47 PM, said:

Yeah. I was shocked Doki Doki was higher than Mania. I have the game in my Steam library, but I don't get the meme around the game. I guess I have to play it to find out.

Don't bother. Just watch some random playthrough on YouTube and skip forward. That game has only two things going on for it: descent production value while being free and edgy twist ending.

#10755 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:03 PM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostXCubed, on 17 January 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

BTW did no one notice Studiopolis Acts 1 and 2 are missing?

No they aren't. They're tracks 3 and 4.
https://itunes.apple...tion/1333856904

• 730 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users