Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Studio Fan Project - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic Studio Fan Project A work in progress

#16 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:46 AM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects

View PostLapper, on 06 June 2018 - 05:48 PM, said:

Posted Image
You can predict where a spring will send you. With this I'm probably begging for auto-levels, but I like it.

This is an estimate, your speeds upon hitting the spring play a part also (however, mostly in the axis that the spring isn't facing...).

For the spring estimates , why not use a cone like shape to show min speed and max speed landing points.
Also to further the idea, you could do a translucent 2 color version, the second color for the direction that the spring is not facing.

I drew some lines to illustrate the idea, my landing points for the blue may be off , but ehhh I don't feel like booting up an emulator right now to check behaviors.
Posted Image
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 09 June 2018 - 08:55 AM

#17 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:58 AM

• Project:Sonic 2 HD, Sonic Studio
  • Wiki edits:111

View PostAndrew75, on 09 June 2018 - 08:46 AM, said:

For the spring estimates , why not use a cone like shape to show min speed and max speed landing points.

Already thought of the cone idea. However in reality if you want to you can make a spring take you almost anywhere along x axis with the right speed so I'm not sure how useful it is. The springs affect your x and y speed depending on their angle, and uses sin and cos to figure out how much the spring should affect each axis (since you can place a spring at any 360 degree). Ex a > Left spring will not affect y, 45 will do a bit of both, and ^ Up will not affect x. I feel that's a bit to complex to describe visually.

Showing off some collision (from twitter)

This post has been edited by Lapper: 09 June 2018 - 10:59 AM

#18 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:43 PM

• Chaos Emeralds, Alola form
  • Project:Too many of them
About the spring thing, I'd say it's enough if the line points to the middle/standard position from the range available, player should be able to estimate what would happen if they push the d-pad in either direction after hitting the spring, or if they hit it fast enough. This game has physics instead of script excess, after all. :v:
This post has been edited by HedgeHayes: 09 June 2018 - 08:45 PM

#19 User is offline Felik 

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:07 AM

• Wiki edits:1

View PostLapper, on 09 June 2018 - 10:58 AM, said:

Showing off some collision (from twitter)

Sorry, but someone has to say this.
Title of the video perfectly describes the feeling I get when I watch it.
This post has been edited by Felik: 10 June 2018 - 06:08 AM

#20 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:59 PM

• Chaos Emeralds, Alola form
  • Project:Too many of them
I've been actually thinking... I know what you said in the OP and the interview about which are your goals with this project and which aren't, but, let's say someone finds your engine, level editor and, well, everything else from this projecto good enough to be the base of their fangame; would you collaborate with them or make a "pro" version featuring things not meant for Sonic Studio but useful for more standard projects? Not wanting to do that myself or anything, as I want to keep my stuff within the limits of a more classic approach, but it's just that you could have done something really good for a project without great ambitions, and it could make the life of some fangame developers a lot easier.

View PostFelik, on 10 June 2018 - 06:07 AM, said:

Btw, Wood Zone looked like fangame stuff as it was in the Sonic 2 protos, so it's natural it doesn't look very fancy here. A minimal test level isn't the kind of thing that looks great either, so I believe you're right about that vid, but I hope it doesn't define your opinion about the project itself.
This post has been edited by HedgeHayes: 10 June 2018 - 03:00 PM

#21 User is offline Hez 

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:13 PM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27
man I am looking forward to this -- everything looks amazing!

#22 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:49 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostHedgeHayes, on 10 June 2018 - 02:59 PM, said:

View PostFelik, on 10 June 2018 - 06:07 AM, said:

Btw, Wood Zone looked like fangame stuff as it was in the Sonic 2 protos, so it's natural it doesn't look very fancy here. A minimal test level isn't the kind of thing that looks great either, so I believe you're right about that vid, but I hope it doesn't define your opinion about the project itself.

I think he meant that in a positive way. Like this is so good it gave me a boner (aka wood) :v:
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 11 June 2018 - 12:49 PM

#23 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:04 PM

Glorious conversations :)

I may consider releasing base engine as editable GMS project one day.

Here's a video showing off speedyness.

Must clarify that the music is just an overlay.

#24 User is offline Flare 

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:02 PM

As I've said on Twitter, the work you've put into that background is glorious.

This whole project is fascinating to watch, as not only do you nail the design of a level builder (looks so simple on the surface, yet complex) ... but the extra effort gone into making each level feel detailed and fresh is outstanding!

#25 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:50 AM

View PostFlare, on 11 June 2018 - 04:02 PM, said:

As I've said on Twitter, the work you've put into that background is glorious.

This whole project is fascinating to watch, as not only do you nail the design of a level builder (looks so simple on the surface, yet complex) ... but the extra effort gone into making each level feel detailed and fresh is outstanding!

Glad you like it! It's not complete yet, there's some additional elements needed in both BG and FG but yeah I definitely wanted to get some nice parallax in there.

#26 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:43 PM

View PostLapper, on 11 June 2018 - 02:04 PM, said:

Glorious conversations :)/>

I may consider releasing base engine as editable GMS project one day.

Here's a video showing off speedyness.

Must clarify that the music is just an overlay.

Haha awesome. Good work man

#27 User is offline redhotsonic 

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:37 AM

• Also known as RHS
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24
I've been keeping an eye on this via Twitter and I'm really impressed with what I am seeing. That spring idea showing where you're going to land is brilliant thinking. I remember back in my hacking days adding springs but had to rebuild and test because it over/under shot the intended platform.

As for the latest video, it's great that Sonic can gain some immense speed. But the camera needs some work. It reminds me of the Gmate engine where it struggles to track Sonic when he is going up/down a wall. I know Sonic is meant to be the fastest thing alive and it's nice when he starts to creep off the camera, but that's the keyword; creep. Not zoom off the camera =P

#28 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:01 AM

View Postredhotsonic, on 14 June 2018 - 07:37 AM, said:

As for the latest video, it's great that Sonic can gain some immense speed. But the camera needs some work. It reminds me of the Gmate engine where it struggles to track Sonic when he is going up/down a wall. I know Sonic is meant to be the fastest thing alive and it's nice when he starts to creep off the camera, but that's the keyword; creep. Not zoom off the camera =P

The camera was actually bugged. It's supposed to slow down to 6px cap per frame when you land to catch up with you gently then reset to 16px cap once it's settled, but in this case, I needed to make it so that it doesn't do this if your landing speed is faster than that. Otherwise as you saw, its trying to catch up slowly while you outrun it.

It's all sorted now!
This post has been edited by Lapper: 14 June 2018 - 08:02 AM

#29 User is offline redhotsonic 

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:47 AM

• Also known as RHS
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24
Ah, fair enough. Nice attention to detail on making it smoothly acquire Sonic again when he lands. I'm glad it was just a bug I spotted so I look forward to the next footage.

#30 User is offline Laura 

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:26 PM

• Brightened Eyes
This looks great! I'm actually partially excited for this just because of the custom sprites. They are really pretty!

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users