Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Worlds with Partner System! - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic Worlds with Partner System! A Tails Follow that isn't just Tails! Not So Simple included

#16 User is offline Hez 

Posted 08 October 2018 - 12:31 PM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27
There's a way I THINK you could just duplicate player one. This would make it so that any code applied to player one, would also work with player two. This would also allow for unlimited extra players. The problem is, it would take A LOT of retooling of the code that already exists for the core player. It works in my head, but I haven't had any time to actually apply it. Also, fusions object orientation is a nightmare so it might blow up.

#17 User is offline Ice 

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:14 PM

• I'm gonna make a sonic fangame one day BELIEVE IT!!
  • Project:Sonic Alpha
the partner was just a duplicated player one, actives and all except we have to change give the partner's their own variables but mostly they sharing everything, unless you're talking about a different method of duplication that i have no clue about.
And I totally agree fusion's object orientation is a nightmare.

#18 User is offline Hez 

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:31 PM

• Asshole

View PostIce, on 08 October 2018 - 04:14 PM, said:

the partner was just a duplicated player one, actives and all except we have to change give the partner's their own variables but mostly they sharing everything, unless you're talking about a different method of duplication that i have no clue about.
And I totally agree fusion's object orientation is a nightmare.

It would be different. I mean't duplicate literal player one, not cloning it into a player two object. Like create two player ones and then differentiate them. It'd share all the same code, so that way if you, lets say, coded a new spring you could hang on. It'd only affect player one. The OTHER player one would be tagged with some flag or something so it would ignore controls, not lose rings, etc.

#19 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:55 PM

• Project:Too many of them
Well the evident would be to have a parent object for a playable character, then have leader and follower as to child objects of that parent, each one with their specific behaviors. Most of it would be the same, but they would branch were needed. I'm saying this not knowing if this kind of programming is possible on fusion, since I checked the trial version and outright hated it for not being able to write real code like gamemaker allowed, but that's not the question here. The point is that, in my experience, having everything coded into the same object can lead to more issues than the ones it fixes, it's always better to separate things that do different things, and inheritance is your best friend to avoid duplicated code beyond that.

#20 User is offline Ice 

Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:41 PM

• I'm gonna make a sonic fangame one day BELIEVE IT!!
  • Project:Sonic Alpha

View PostHez, on 08 October 2018 - 07:31 PM, said:

It would be different. I mean't duplicate literal player one, not cloning it into a player two object. Like create two player ones and then differentiate them. It'd share all the same code, so that way if you, lets say, coded a new spring you could hang on. It'd only affect player one. The OTHER player one would be tagged with some flag or something so it would ignore controls, not lose rings, etc.

OOOOOOOOOOOH! ok now I see what you mean!

View PostHedgeHayes, on 08 October 2018 - 07:55 PM, said:

Well the evident would be to have a parent object for a playable character, then have leader and follower as to child objects of that parent, each one with their specific behaviors. Most of it would be the same, but they would branch were needed. I'm saying this not knowing if this kind of programming is possible on fusion, since I checked the trial version and outright hated it for not being able to write real code like gamemaker allowed, but that's not the question here. The point is that, in my experience, having everything coded into the same object can lead to more issues than the ones it fixes, it's always better to separate things that do different things, and inheritance is your best friend to avoid duplicated code beyond that.

you've gotta point there. tbh im not sure if sharing everything would work either but until its been tested can't say for sure. Hopefully I might or someone can test this out in the future.

#21 User is offline Hez 

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:39 PM

• Asshole

View PostHedgeHayes, on 08 October 2018 - 07:55 PM, said:

it would involve A LOT of retooling. I think its possible, but I'd have to literally recode most of worlds in order for it to work. Might be a fun side project after SC2 is done.

#22 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:01 PM

• Project:Too many of them
Now that I think of it, it's probably not really necessary, as long as the leader is stored in a variable for the code to check out: "if this is the leader character, do this, else, do this instead", or "do this for every character except the leader". That way, you can have as many followers as you want, but the code would be character independent. I had another idea for this, but it's a bit gimmicky and I can't remember how could it be made, so I've chosen the easy answer.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users