Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Chaotix 1207 discussion - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 14 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Chaotix 1207 discussion

#151 User is offline Kushami 

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:21 AM

I'm a nobody here, but I need to mention this:

If Naka disallowed use of the original Sonic characters, it seems to me that Dr. Eggman probably would've been disallowed as well. His inception was even earlier than Sonic's. As mentioned, Sonic was 'lent out' to so many other badly designed games that I honestly doubt that Naka had much control over where Sonic went. In the end, he belonged to Sega, not him. I think it's far more likely that upper management decided to try to capitalize on Knuckles' current popularity (EVERYONE wanted to play as Knuckles when Sonic 3 came out, so they were probably following the popularity of S&K), and decided a concept that varied so highly from the original formula probably shouldn't star Sonic himself but use some kind of relation to it to score sales.

This is the exact line of thinking that lead to the inception of the Shadow May Cry spinoff.

There's actually a really ironic introduction in a Sega Visions I have on a spread outlining Chaotix which goes like "ME AND MY SHADOW."

Now, I could see Naka making a fuss about using 'his engine' and such, if that is indeed the case. I wasn't lurking around or read anywhere that the engine to Chaotix wasn't based on another prior Sonic game, so if someone could link me to that revelation that would be interesting to read. I have admittedly not been able to read all of the threads on these new prototypes; it's quite a lot to take in.

#152 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:50 AM

• Wiki edits:18
I doubt Naka would have any say on where can and cannot go Sonic in a game.

Those weren't his characters, and it wasn't his game.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 02 March 2008 - 11:01 AM

#153 User is offline Quexinos 

Posted 02 March 2008 - 01:06 PM

• Since 1997
  • Wiki edits:11

View PostShoemanbundy, on Mar 2 2008, 12:42 AM, said:

You can go through the loops if you hold the other character with you, in case you guys didn't notice.

I still fall out 3/4ths of the way through...

#154 User is offline drx 

Posted 02 March 2008 - 01:11 PM

• <Shade> fuck MJ
  • Project::rolleyes:
  • Wiki edits:8

View PostICEknight, on Mar 2 2008, 04:50 PM, said:

I doubt Naka would have any say on where can and cannot go Sonic in a game.

Those weren't his characters, and it wasn't his game.

You're both wrong and right.

Technically, Naka had no say over anything, all code and copyright belonged (and belongs) to SEGA, so what you're saying would be true, right?

No. Naka was held in very high esteem in the company. His word meant a lot to people. IIRC he was the one who disallowed the usage of the NiGHTS engine for X-Treme (hxc would probably know more here). He would definitely have a say in whether some other team could use Sonic & Tails in their game or not. It's clear that Sonic and Tails _were_ in the game at some point in the 32x development, and were cut. Naka going in and saying 'No way' is one of the most logical explanations on why they were canned. Another would be that they just wanted to push more characters (like Espio), but it's rather implausible.

#155 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:19 PM

View Postdrx, on Mar 2 2008, 01:11 PM, said:

Naka was held in very high esteem in the company. His word meant a lot to people. IIRC he was the one who disallowed the usage of the NiGHTS engine for X-Treme (hxc would probably know more here). He would definitely have a say in whether some other team could use Sonic & Tails in their game or not.

I'd understand him not allowing his code (Sonic and NiGHTS engines) not being in another game that's not supervised by him (even Sonic CD's engine was just simulating his code, if I remember correctly), but I think preventing SEGA's mascots to appear in a game would be something different...

#156 User is offline drx 

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:35 PM

• <Shade> fuck MJ

View PostICEknight, on Mar 2 2008, 08:19 PM, said:

Naka was held in very high esteem in the company. His word meant a lot to people. IIRC he was the one who disallowed the usage of the NiGHTS engine for X-Treme (hxc would probably know more here). He would definitely have a say in whether some other team could use Sonic & Tails in their game or not.

I'd understand him not allowing his code (Sonic and NiGHTS engines) not being in another game that's not supervised by him (even Sonic CD's engine was just simulating his code, if I remember correctly), but I think preventing SEGA's mascots to appear in a game would be something different...

Um... care to tell why? I mean, how is it different at all?

#157 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:43 PM

Well, I mean, he did create the code but not the characters.

It just makes more sense not allowing something you actually created to be used by somebody else, rather than something that was never yours to begin with.

#158 User is offline JoseTB 

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:20 PM

• Wiki edits:4
I guess Naka would still act as Sonic being his creation even if that wasn't technically the case; and as drx points, at that time it was easy to him to just whine if he wasn't happy with the decisions of the company in overall. IIRC Naka already left before Sonic 2 was finished, they wouldn't risk to let that happen again; and he probably knew it.

#159 User is offline Snake 

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:28 PM

IIRC he was the one who disallowed the usage of the NiGHTS engine for X-Treme

I thought it had already been established that that was complete crap?

#160 User is offline drx 

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:52 PM

• <Shade> fuck MJ

View PostSnake, on Mar 2 2008, 09:28 PM, said:

I thought the thing that was crap was that X-Treme used the engine at some point, not that it was being talked about.

#161 User is offline Quexinos 

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:36 AM

• Since 1997
  • Wiki edits:11

View PostSnake, on Mar 2 2008, 02:28 PM, said:

Whoa! News to me O_O

BTW if anyone is still having trouble with the game crashing:
http://www.saveonepiece.com/prototypes/Keg...r%20Chaotix.exe

It works well for me now except when I try to play as Wechidna or whoever he is. It should work with all versions too

#162 User is offline Snake 

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:15 PM

He would definitely have a say in whether some other team could use Sonic & Tails in their game or not.

This is what most people seem to say, but *where* does this come from? Is there *any* official source or is it just the same old conjecture that's spread all over the internet? He had pretty much nothing to do with SonicCD but it's using "his" characters and "his" code...

View PostVlcice, on Mar 1 2008, 08:25 PM, said:

Sonic CD used sprites with the Sonic 1-style shading rather than Sonic 2-style.

That's because Sonic 2 didn't exist yet.
This post has been edited by Snake: 03 March 2008 - 02:16 PM

#163 User is offline SGR 

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

• It's time for Animaniacs.
  • Wiki edits:84
To get back on topic here, have you guys seen what Mighty does when he wall kicks? It's very interesting, and it's "automatic." Another thing to note is that the sound effect when he clings to a wall is different. (It's Vector/Espio/Knuckles' sound when they cling to a wall.)

#164 User is offline Vlcice 

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:15 PM

View PostSnake, on Mar 3 2008, 02:15 PM, said:

View PostVlcice, on Mar 1 2008, 08:25 PM, said:

Sonic CD used sprites with the Sonic 1-style shading rather than Sonic 2-style.

That's because Sonic 2 didn't exist yet.

Sonic 2 didn't exist at the time Sonic CD was started, if I'm recalling the timeline right, but Sonic CD was released in 1993 - one year after Sonic 2's release.

#165 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 03 March 2008 - 06:20 PM

Yeah... They could have changed the graphics before release, if they wanted. After all, Sonic 3 started with Sonic 2 sprites.

• 14 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users