Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Team Sonic Racing (Sumo Digital/May 21st 2019) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 54 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Team Sonic Racing (Sumo Digital/May 21st 2019)

#796 User is offline Laughingcow 

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:04 PM

View PostChimpo, on 22 June 2019 - 04:40 PM, said:

The Street Fighter revival happened before their outsource era and Mega Man as a franchise was not affected by those outsource decisions since the series was still mostly produced by inhouse teams or long time collaborator, IntiCreates.

1) Street Fighter 4 was a fluke. That's why Street Fighter V was a corporate "let's make esport gambling money" mess that couldn't even have a proper arcade mode. Even though Inafune has been gone for awhile, the shadow of his corporate decisions still showed their influence until recently with the aforementioned Megaman 11, Resident Evil 7 & 2 remake, Devil May Cry 5....All of which were greenlighted due to re-releases of older games to show gamer demand which is what happened with Street Fighter 4 which had a re-release of Street Fighter 2 on Xbox live.

2) I take it you never heard of the Megaman X western version that was only canceled due to Inafune leaving?
https://www.technobu...mega-man-reboot

3) As you correctly pointed out, the two examples were made (mostly) in-house...Which is how EVERY BAD SONIC GAME has been made. The corporate dysfunction at Sega is different from the one at Capcom but both are clear cases of said corporate dysfunction. The difference being Sega has an added lack of talent.

#797 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:05 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Played this for the first time today (happy 28th, Sonic!)

My main issue with the team gimmick is simply that you can do really well, and even throw boxes back for your teammates, but that doesn't mean you're going to get a 1-2-3 finish, entirely out of your control. Other than that, it's your standard polished Sumo racer, worth the £29 I spent.

#798 User is offline Sid Starkiller 

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:37 PM

Question about the speed characters: So power characters plowing through obstacles and technique characters off-roading well (since they can all fly, or at least hover) is quite straightforward. The game says that speed characters have a sort of deflective barrier to block projectiles, but doesn't really explain much about it. Is it something the player has to trigger? Is it a flat miss chance? Does it have a random chance to deflect? Has anyone looked into this at all?

#799 User is offline MykonosFan 

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:27 PM

• MODE CHANGE.
  • Wiki edits:178

View PostSid Starkiller, on 23 June 2019 - 01:37 PM, said:

Question about the speed characters: So power characters plowing through obstacles and technique characters off-roading well (since they can all fly, or at least hover) is quite straightforward. The game says that speed characters have a sort of deflective barrier to block projectiles, but doesn't really explain much about it. Is it something the player has to trigger? Is it a flat miss chance? Does it have a random chance to deflect? Has anyone looked into this at all?

You have to be boosting while the object is about to hit you for it to activate, it's called the Radial Burst. It's very easy to miss that it's even happening until you know that it can happen.

#800 User is offline Sid Starkiller 

Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:56 PM

View PostMykonosFan, on 23 June 2019 - 02:27 PM, said:

You have to be boosting while the object is about to hit you for it to activate, it's called the Radial Burst. It's very easy to miss that it's even happening until you know that it can happen.

As in the boost Wisp, or do drifting and dash panels count?

#801 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:58 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
So sorry tsr.

You're dead

#802 User is offline Darth Taco 

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:07 PM

It's not gonna happen but for what it's worth I do hope they fix the online and make dlc for the game. I mean it sold decently enough right?

I just don't understand why it has to be this way

View PostSid Starkiller, on 23 June 2019 - 04:56 PM, said:

View PostMykonosFan, on 23 June 2019 - 02:27 PM, said:

As in the boost Wisp, or do drifting and dash panels count?

You get it from drift boosts and stunt boosts only afaik. I believe the burst lasts a little longer if you get a triple boost but don't quote me on that
This post has been edited by Darth Taco: 23 June 2019 - 09:12 PM

#803 User is offline Beltway 

Posted Yesterday, 10:38 AM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash
So UK opening week numbers for Sonic's Ass Racing are in and...

- Third-biggest videogame opening of the year for the UK, behind Days Gone and RE2 Remake
- Second-best debut in the series behind N-Sane Trilogy
- Outsold the second best-selling game of the week, FIFA 19, almost eight times over
- Outsold Sonic's Racing ass's first week sales more than four times over

Posted Image

#804 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted Yesterday, 12:21 PM

Yup, saw that coming.

#805 User is offline SuperSnoopy 

Posted Yesterday, 12:38 PM

• Project:Learning how to fucking draw
I mean it was inevitable. Oh well, at least they managed to release TSR before CTR. If they did it the other way around, TSR probably would've bombed hard.

#806 User is offline Beltway 

Posted Yesterday, 02:04 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash
To touch back on that "should Sonic go on hiatus?" bit when discussing TSR's sales, I remembered that we went through this gauntlet in the immediate wake of Forces' release:

View PostHukos, on 05 November 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

View PostPengi, on 05 November 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

View Posturlogic, on 05 November 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

Well, at least SEGA isn't torturing Sonic fans as bad as CAPCOM tortures MEGAMAN fans. I'm super mad that after 4 years this is all we got, but it could be way worse.

It's better for a series to go on hiatus (like Mega Man) than to have high profile crap games (like Sonic).

The Mega Man brand is perhaps being under-utilised, but it isn't being actively damaged by a string of poor releases.

At this point, Sega needs to put Sonic Mania sequel into production ASAP and take a long hard look at the 3D series.

Yeah no, I've gone years without a proper Castlevania game from Konami and honestly, I'd take a 5/10 game from them at this point just to scratch that itch.

View PostUpCDownCLeftCRightC, on 06 November 2017 - 12:37 AM, said:

View PostHukos, on 05 November 2017 - 11:15 PM, said:

View PostMotorRoach, on 05 November 2017 - 10:19 PM, said:

I'm a huge fan of the Castlevania series, and I'd rather have the series to stay dead over having another Castlevania 64 or another Lords of Shadows.

I mean sometimes you want that itch scratched, nothing else will do.

I look at it like, if you have 1 good game in 4 tries, I can simply ignore the 3 failures and enjoy the one that was actually good and then have another game to go back to.

I can understand this (because its basically what we've all had to do since 1998) but with each major dud, the Sonic franchise's reputation is further damaged and sales continue to decline. Because it has been and they have declined.

That said, I don't want this series to die at any point. I want someone to be completely and utterly dedicated to making it, finally, truly great again in both 2D and 3D. If "dead" means 4 year hiatus to make sure the next game is a true winner, then so be it. But we sort of just went through that with Forces.....and it didn't work out. I think that a change in staff, decision makers, and design focus can make even half that time worthwhile and productive for the hypothetical next title.

Meanwhile, I can't say my personal thoughts from back then have changed much.

#807 User is offline Jason 

Posted Yesterday, 02:27 PM

• *Results not lab tested.
More content and it would have stood a chance. For the same price, CTR has 31 tracks and 26 customizable characters, compared to TSR's 21 and 15, respectively. For fuck's sake the five Grand Prixs in the game REPEAT TRACKS. It's just not enough. Since there were no DLC plans for TSR, I wonder if this will change their mind, or abandon the game.

#808 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted Yesterday, 02:39 PM

View PostJason, on Yesterday, 02:27 PM, said:

More content and it would have stood a chance. For the same price, CTR has 31 tracks and 26 customizable characters, compared to TSR's 21 and 15, respectively. For fuck's sake the five Grand Prixs in the game REPEAT TRACKS. It's just not enough. Since there were no DLC plans for TSR, I wonder if this will change their mind, or abandon the game.

And what I don't understand is that they didnt have to repeat tracks in the grand prix mode but they refuse to use the final fortress tracks. Honestly not sure why they didnt just make the grand prix 3 levels each and just have you play the tracks of the same theme.

Oh also CTR has extra modes outside of just racing where as TSR does not (TSR does have extra modes but for some reason they're restricted to only Adventure mode and only to a handful of levels. They could have maybe added some online component to those modes but nope, missed opportunity).
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: Yesterday, 02:43 PM

• 54 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users