Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: "Do my work for me!" (Pre-Alpha footage of Sonic & Cra - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

"Do my work for me!" (Pre-Alpha footage of Sonic & Cra

#16 User is offline CHRdutch 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:19 AM

• Master of Disaster
  • Project:Sonic the Hackable (A.K.A. "A generic Sonic 1 ROMhack")

View PostLajosFace, on 13 February 2018 - 09:52 AM, said:

For everyone: stop joking, please. I'm really serious about the mod, I have the passion for it and now I figured out the correct colour palette for Crash's sprite. I really need passionate supporters who can draw images for Sonic 3D Blast-styled cutscenes. I'm working really hard to make it a quality mod and a really good, fresh, new and exciting experience. I really would like to make both of these fanbases happy with this mod. Don't underestimate me, even I'm only 15. And sorry for posting a really early version of this mod. I promise you I will make this mod into a Pre-Beta in weeks.

Wow, wow. You need to be careful with how you handle critisism. Because if you keep defending against it, you'll probably end up being a "Pending Approval" member.
The members critising your work aren't here to demotivate you, they just are sharing their opinions towards your project, which needed a lot more work put in to it.

I mean,
Posted Image
???

Really though, you should listen to that critisism instead of defending against it. Because what you are currently showing is not looking to great and needs a lot more work put into it.

-----[Edit]-----
New page, added quote.
This post has been edited by CHRdutch: 13 February 2018 - 10:21 AM

#17 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:25 AM

• Wiki edits:6

For everyone: stop joking, please. I'm really serious about the mod, I have the passion for it and now I figured out the correct colour palette for Crash's sprite. I really need passionate supporters who can draw images for Sonic 3D Blast-styled cutscenes. I'm working really hard to make it a quality mod and a really good, fresh, new and exciting experience. I really would like to make both of these fanbases happy with this mod. Don't underestimate me, even I'm only 15. And sorry for posting a really early version of this mod. I promise you I will make this mod into a Pre-Beta in weeks.

Listen - don't set yourself any arbitrary deadlines, and don't ask for help. Learn how to do what you want, and take the project slowly. Setting deadlines is just setting yourself up for failure. Asking people for help on something so early is asking to be mocked. Look around for a moment at some of the best fangames and mods based around Sonic. How many of those have animated cutscenes or even the "Sonic 3D Blast style cutscenes" that you want? You're asking for something huge, but you haven't got a project worth showing off yet, and definitely not something that other people would be interested in helping you out with. I don't mean to be rude, but this is the truth.

Focus on the important stuff. It's going to take you several months at least to get your first project off the ground. Most projects fail in that time because people bite off more than they can chew and so find themselves way out of depth. Cutscenes don't matter at the early stages. The meat and bones of the mod, those being the levels, characters and graphics, do. Work on those. Having passion is great, but it won't get you very far. Just go and work in the project at your own pace. You'll probably find that you change your mind a thousand times about everything involved as you learn more and grow in expertise. Or, even more likely, you'll give up and either pick up this project or start another way off in the future. That's how these things go and it's all absolutely fine.

Just to reiterate - nobody wants to see a pre-beta or pre-alpha. Those words mean "here's something I hobbled together as quickly as possible that doesn't represent the project I have in mind at all and instead showcases everything that I cannot do". Nobody cares to see that.

#18 User is offline LajosFace 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:34 AM

• Project:Sonic & Crash: Dimension Disaster mod for Sonic Mania

View PostBlue Blood, on 13 February 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

Listen - don't set yourself any arbitrary deadlines, and don't ask for help. Learn how to do what you want, and take the project slowly. Setting deadlines are just setting yourself up for failure. Asking people for help on something so early is asking to be mocked. Look around for a moment at some of the best fangames and mods based on Sonic. How many of those have animated cutscenes or even the "Sonic 3D Blast style cutscenes" that you want? You're asking for something huge, but you haven't got a project worth showing off yet, and definitely not something that other people would be interested in helping you out with. I don't mean to be rude, but this is the truth.

Focus on the important stuff. It's going to take you several months at least to get your first project off the ground. Most projects fail in that time because people bite off more than they can chew and so find themselves way out of depth. Cutscenes don't matter in the early stages. The meat and bones of the mod, those being the levels, characters and graphics, do. Work on those. Having passion is great, but it won't get you very far. Just go and work on the project at your own pace. You'll probably find that you change your mind a thousand times about everything involved as you learn more and grow in expertise. Or, even more likely, you'll give up and either pick up this project or start another way off in the future. That's how these things go and it's all absolutely fine.

Just to reiterate - nobody wants to see a pre-beta or pre-alpha. Those words mean "here's something I hobbled together as quickly as possible that doesn't represent the project I have in mind at all and instead showcases everything that I cannot do". Nobody cares to see that.

OK, it means that I need to make my mod slowly. Because I want to make it good and even I would like to bring it to SHC, if the testers say this is the best crossover mod, maybe ever. But for now, I live for the today. I will make this myself, figuring out the things and learn the mechanics of making a mod. This thread will have closed until the mod is ready.

#19 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:33 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Good - we look forward to seeing your results - when they're ready to be shown. =P

View PostJosh, on 12 February 2018 - 04:19 PM, said:

You want to know how bad those screenshots are? When I came into this topic and looked at them, my first thought was that Overlord had hijacked OP's account and was having a laugh. They come across like a parody of a "do the work for me" topic.

Aw, come on - even putting aside the fact that I can't do this anyway, I'm not that malicious. =P Locking the thread anyway, we're on something of a derail here.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users