Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sega Genesis Classics announced for the Switch - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Sega Genesis Classics announced for the Switch Because just owning them on Sega FOREVER isn't enough...

#1 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 31 October 2018 - 06:31 PM

• Model2wannaB
  • Project:Formerly Sonic the Fighters
Sega Genesis Classics has been announced with a December 7th release date.... which is also the date Super Smash Bros Ultimate launches. An odd day to pick, but even odder still is why Sega feels the need to release such a collection with both Sega AGES and Sega Forever campaigns....

Included games:
Spoiler

Discuss...

#2 User is offline saintminya 

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:44 PM

• Project:music production, mental archiving.
It does have a great selection of titles, and it does fit my agenda of making the Switch my master console. So I'll likely be picking it up around launch. I'll only have to pay off my remaining 10 or so bucks on Smash that day anyway.

Loving that it includes the oft-overlooked Phantasy Star 3, which just so happens to be my favorite in the series barring PSO. I also cannot help but notice the lack of Sonic 3 or S&K.

#3 User is offline Retroman 

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:29 PM

• XD

View Postsaintminya, on 31 October 2018 - 07:44 PM, said:

Loving that it includes the oft-overlooked Phantasy Star 3, which just so happens to be my favorite in the series barring PSO. I also cannot help but notice the lack of Sonic 3 or S&K.

Warning - Speculation: Sonic 3 and 3K is being developed by the Mania Team for all platforms

#4 User is offline saintminya 

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:38 PM

The thought occured to me as well, and I dearly hope so. Otherwise it is just bizarre, on Steam they split the games and allowed for Knuckles in Sonic 2.

#5 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:19 AM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
Uh, no? On Steam it's just Sonic 3 & Knuckles, the only way to play Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Knuckles in Sonic 2, and Blue Sphere is by downloading them as mods of one of the other games.

#6 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:09 AM

• Wiki edits:18

View Postbiggestsonicfan, on 31 October 2018 - 06:31 PM, said:

even odder still is why Sega feels the need to release such a collection with both Sega AGES and Sega Forever campaigns....

Maybe they're still trying to figure out which of the formulas (free to play with ads, individual releases with extras, bundle with lots of games) works best for them, by having them available at the same time and studying the numbers.

#7 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 01 November 2018 - 01:45 PM

• Sentient Cash Register
  • Wiki edits:1
Why is anybody surprised by the omission of Sonic 3 & Knuckles? There haven't been any new rereleases of this game, emulated or ported, standalone or bundled, in seven years. Did anyone honestly expect that to change?

#8 User is offline saintminya 

Posted 01 November 2018 - 07:58 PM

Yes, I do expect that to change. Especially since S3K was re-released recently, in this exact format, on Steam, even if I misremembered how it was laid out. I almost always load games from the Mods menu, so I see it all split up.

#9 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:02 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2

View Postsaintminya, on 01 November 2018 - 07:58 PM, said:

Especially since S3K was re-released recently, in this exact format, on Steam

Seven years ago.

#10 User is offline saintminya 

Posted 01 November 2018 - 08:07 PM

Yet they didn't exclude it from the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Classics lineup, or exclude it from bundles. If there were actual issues with re-releasing the game, it would have been de-listed when they launched the Classics.

I just think the powers that be look down up the game, while they worship the first sequels (CD and 2).

(Edit) Either that or they struggle with the fact that its two parts of one game, with one part that connected to other games. If they release it the way it is on Steam, it is the complete game, but lacks the option to be Knux in S2 or play blue spheres. And to seperate them...idk how that'd work.
This post has been edited by saintminya: 01 November 2018 - 08:29 PM

#11 User is offline Hukos 

Posted 07 November 2018 - 03:22 AM

The only good thing about this collection is that it's another collection with Alien Soldier on it. That game is straight up a top 5 bare minimum game not only on the console but that entire generation. It's missing a lot of the obscure gems I like a lot on the machine (particularly in the shooter genre), but those games are never going to appear on any compilation anyways.

#12 User is offline Timaeus 

Posted 10 November 2018 - 03:37 PM

The games choosing is excellent, its a shock that they will come out into a Nintendo console. I still remember when I beat up Vectorman, Kid Chameleon, Bonanza Bros, etc. If one day I get a Nintendo Switch, I will try getting those. Mega drive for the win.

#13 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:25 AM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostTimaeus, on 10 November 2018 - 03:37 PM, said:

its a shock that they will come out into a Nintendo console.

It's not shocking at all.

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users