Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Forces - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 150 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Forces

#2236 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted Yesterday, 05:38 AM

• Wiki edits:6

View Postbig smile, on Yesterday, 02:46 AM, said:

I think they've said that the custom character will be its own play style.

I would have prefered it if he just did the Classic/Modern levels but could use his abilities to access new routes. Sonic Team don't exactly have the best record for handling multiple play styles.

The footage we have of Your Name the Hedgehog so far shows him in many of the same areas as Modern Sonic, only with different object layouts ala Colours/Generations extra acts/missions. I think that's how they're going to handle him - running through repurposed versions of the levels already built for Modern and Classic Sonic.
This post has been edited by Blue Blood: Yesterday, 05:44 AM

#2237 User is offline JcFerggy 

Posted Yesterday, 09:42 AM

• Do you want to taco 'bout it?
  • Project:GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:57
One thing I hope they have in Sonic Forces that has been missing from the past few games is a way to play from level to level without being sent back to the hub or to a cut scene. I really appreciated the Egg Shuttle in Sonic Colors because I could play it like the Genesis games, going from level to level. In comparison, I don't ever have a desire to play Generations since I play a level, back to the menu, select the next level, then play. It breaks the immersion and flow, and I hope there is some sort of classic option to just sit and play.

#2238 User is offline /dev/sr0 

Posted Yesterday, 09:46 AM

• Project:Null

View PostJcFerggy, on Yesterday, 09:42 AM, said:

One thing I hope they have in Sonic Forces that has been missing from the past few games is a way to play from level to level without being sent back to the hub or to a cut scene. I really appreciated the Egg Shuttle in Sonic Colors because I could play it like the Genesis games, going from level to level. In comparison, I don't ever have a desire to play Generations since I play a level, back to the menu, select the next level, then play. It breaks the immersion and flow, and I hope there is some sort of classic option to just sit and play.

I never really thought about this, but now that I do, I think this is a really good point. Hub worlds are great and all, but going from level to level seamlessly would be a huge improvement.
I think the best thing to do would be what SA2 did, where there's a story mode and a stage select screen with extra missions for levels you've already completed in the story.

And while they're at it, perhaps a chao garden? Maybe? Please?
This post has been edited by /dev/sr0: Yesterday, 09:47 AM

#2239 User is offline JaredAFX 

Posted Yesterday, 09:50 AM

• SonicManEXE
  • Project:Acquiring a taste for FREE FORM JAZZ

View Post/dev/sr0, on Yesterday, 09:46 AM, said:

That, my friend, is a can of worms you don't want to open around here. People have very different opinions about Chao Gardens, and that's all I'm going to say about that.

#2240 User is offline Felik 

Posted Yesterday, 10:07 AM

• Wiki edits:1

View PostJcFerggy, on Yesterday, 09:42 AM, said:

In comparison, I don't ever have a desire to play Generations since I play a level, back to the menu, select the next level, then play. It breaks the immersion and flow, and I hope there is some sort of classic option to just sit and play.

Hacking scene to the rescue!!!

#2241 User is offline LowSeasCaroz 

Posted Yesterday, 10:22 AM

• Project:Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
When you look at the last trailer, the part where the character customisation menu is shown, at the bottom there are three menu entries:

Posted Image

World Map, Character Customisation and Missions.

World Map could mean a map of the game's world a la Adventure 2, where you can quickly go to the level you want.

It could also theoretically mean a Generations-style hub or Lost World's "Do the Mario" overworld, but why call it "World Map" then?

#2242 User is offline Shaddy the guy 

Posted Yesterday, 02:46 PM

• Head chef at the crap cafe
  • Project:One Piece English filler-free cut

View PostJaredAFX, on Yesterday, 09:50 AM, said:

View Post/dev/sr0, on Yesterday, 09:46 AM, said:

That, my friend, is a can of worms you don't want to open around here. People have very different opinions about Chao Gardens, and that's all I'm going to say about that.

So? Person should still be able to voice what they want.

Anyway, I'm not sure how I feel about the player avatar sharing levels with modern Sonic. If it really is just an optional secondary character, then that is at least non-intrusive, but also begs the question of "why is it here?". If it serves as the game's mission mode, I guess that makes sense, but then advertising it alongside the two characters the game's actually designed around seems a bit "hey look at THIS cool thing that doesn't actually matter".

If anything, I guess this could be a step towards getting other characters playable again. This may not be the one that we want right now, but if it really is $100% optional, that means there's no room for "BUT I JUST WANNA PLAY AS SONIC" from critics.

And if it's mandatory to play through the exact same levels as Modern Sonic using your avatar, then that's totally fucking dumb and I hope they don't do that, and thankfully I'm pretty sure they won't, but there's always some uncertainty.

On the subject of hubs, I think they'd be fine if they were Unleashed-style, AKA small, but I kinda doubt that they're a thing. I can't imagine walking around talking to people in Park Avenue with godzilla-sized robots in the background killing everything.

#2243 User is offline Tiller 

Posted Yesterday, 08:19 PM

• Project:HDK & World Runner

View PostTheKazeblade, on 23 May 2017 - 09:30 PM, said:

View PostLowSeasCaroz, on 23 May 2017 - 01:40 PM, said:

EDIT: Forgot this...

https://twitter.com/...405479311974410

So it looks like the buddy/avatar will just be an extra character with whom you can/have to(?) play through the regular Modern Sonic stages. Eh.

Don't think that's what's going to happen. I think it's more likely to be handled like Generations' challenge acts. It will take smaller chunks of the main Modern Sonic levels and alter them to cater to the third playstyle. We can confirm this from the latest trailer which uses the same area for both Modern Sonic and the Custom character, just sans grind rail, which has been replaced with grapple points.

Posted Image

Custom character levels as complete afterthought filler confirmed :P

This is probably the case. In the trailer we can see some other things happening in the Donut Steel gameplay that Sonic can see or goes through. The first ramp over the large gap where the bridge is out pans the camera over to the side where one of the black egg robos is getting shot at. Modern Sonic can see the turn in the road at the very end of his gameplay, and the Donut Steel can see the same elevated curve when the camera pans to the side of the swinging segment. It's also possible that there are alternate paths the CaC's take versus Sonic given some of the screenshots, but the backgrounds make it hard to tell if there is extra playable areas or not.

To be fair this is probably the best way to go about reusing level assets but they could have at least done this for characters like Knuckles or Tails. CaC the hedgehog doesn't appear to have a boost and Sonic's looks much less powerful.
This post has been edited by Tiller: Yesterday, 08:21 PM

#2244 User is offline Retroman 

Posted Today, 01:47 AM

View PostBurezu, on 23 May 2017 - 11:35 PM, said:

If Sonic games are going to have a story they need to either be super simple like S3&K, or just go really stupid with them. I'm talking so big and dumb that it completely removes any sense of normalized reality.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric?
This post has been edited by Retroman: Today, 01:47 AM

• 150 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users