Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Why the redesign of characters in AoStH? - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Why the redesign of characters in AoStH?

#46 User is offline Nova 

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:11 AM

• オ カ エ リ ナ サ λ
  • Wiki edits:17
Fuck the design of AoStH Robotnik, I want an updated remix of his theme song made for a new Sonic game. :v:

#47 User is offline Xilla 

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:56 AM

• No promotion for you, laddy.
The remix on Newgrounds is awesome :) Hez used it in Sonic Classic.

Always found it puzzling why no-one has swapped the classic design for his Ass of Sexy the Human one in a hack to be honest! If I had the know-how I'd give it a try :)

#48 User is offline VAdaPEGA 

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:57 PM

• Untalented Recolor
  • Project:Probably something minimalistic
You mean like how it was done in Sonic Code Gray?
Posted Image

#49 User is offline SpeedStarTMQ 

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:51 PM

• Wiki edits:5
I thought the redesigns were excellent. Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog was huge in the UK. The characters were kooky, the plots were wild, the music was memorable, and ... well, it was a fucktonne better than SatAM.

The reason for the redesigns? Ease. The cartoons weren't the most expensive to make, and changing aspects of the design made it easier to animate I'm sure. Cartoons do it all the time, even Sonic X wasn't spot on with the character designs from the games. Sonic's head was larger, his spikes rounder and shorter, and he looked meatier in the limbs.

Also, Robotnik is THE classic villain. Borderline sex-icon, fantastic vocal performance, he was a real stinker in the cartoon.

Still one of my favorite cartoons.

#50 User is offline Xilla 

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:51 AM

I think AoStH stands out in the UK because Channel 4 and later TCC repeated it for years. SatAM only got a single run on 4 and TCC rarely showed it (if they even did, I can't remember ever really seeing it). POP later showed both series although again it was mainly AoStH.

Personally I reckon the UK broadcasters had a soft spot for it simply because it was funny (more suited to the 9AM Sunday time slot it had) and also due to Long John Baldry having the real starring role as Robotnik - since he was a pretty famous English musician back in the day.

#51 User is offline Meat Miracle 

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:51 AM

• Wiki edits:2
I recall some interview with the animators where they state that they redesigned him like that because they wanted him to be the sexiest fat man in animation.

#52 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:18 AM

• Wiki edits:18
Not an interview, but what the model sheets imply: http://www.miltonkni...tnikmodel1.html

#53 User is offline Xilla 

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:44 PM

Milton Knight was the one who coined "Animation's Sexiest Fat Man" for his adaption, as he mentions in this video: https://www.youtube....h?v=YYccr7YqCrs (5:09 for the Robotnik part)

• 4 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users