Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Team Sonic Racing (Sumo Digital/Early 2019) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 37 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Team Sonic Racing (Sumo Digital/Early 2019)

#451 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:48 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostNicky Ali, on 15 January 2019 - 04:41 PM, said:

View PostAyu Tsukimiya, on 15 January 2019 - 04:30 PM, said:

I'm really wishing Fang, Bark and Bean had been reintroduced in Heroes now.
Literally nobody likes bootleg Bowser. Or even the Wisps, for that matter.

Thing is, I actually did like the Wisps when they first appeared in Colours, but it's their appearance in every game after that's left me wishing they were never invented. If they were reserved for a dedicated Colours 2 then I don't think anyone would really have as much reason to hate them as much as they do now. If they only ever appeared again in a Colours sequel my reaction would be "oh my god! these guys again!" instead of the typical sigh that comes with them being shoehorned into other games.

Zavok on the other hand... I don't think anyone ever liked him in the first place lol.

Yea I'm kinda with you there. They were neat in Colors, they made sense in Generations, then Lost World came around and it was a little confusing that they were back. I didn't hate how they were used in Forces, as Sonic didn't use them only the avatar did and they did so with a weapon that was faster paced than the Wisp's execution in Colors and Lost World. I also don't hate them in this game I guess. They're power ups for cars. Makes sense. Idk what other items would they use, you got a couple shields maybe, speed shoes, invincibility, but a lot of these things don't really apply to Modern games at this point.

Actually I like that they're using Wisps because if the alternative is what they did with the All Stars games then pass. "Yea Baseball Glove and RC Car from my favorite Sega games™!" Like what the hell were those items?

But yea Zavok. Didn't like him then, like him less now. I liked his boss theme enough though.

#452 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:02 PM

• Just an angry spark of electricity.
  • Project:Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
  • Wiki edits:112
I'm honestly more tired of seeing Metal Sonic than Zavok. I wish they would use Mecha Sonic again, IMO he's always been better than Metal. Or hell, what would have been even better is seeing Metal Knuckles return! But neither Metal Knux or Mecha is probably ever going to return... :\

#453 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:30 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
It doesn't help with the Deadly Six that they're all so generic; whether it's Evil, Old, Fat, Crazy, Emo, or Girl. (I'm sure they also have other names.)

#454 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostRavenfreak, on 15 January 2019 - 05:02 PM, said:

I'm honestly more tired of seeing Metal Sonic than Zavok. I wish they would use Mecha Sonic again, IMO he's always been better than Metal. Or hell, what would have been even better is seeing Metal Knuckles return! But neither Metal Knux or Mecha is probably ever going to return... :\

It is funny how Metal Sonic went from like nonexistent to 4th main character in the past 10 years. I guess they just consider those other Sonic robots to just be robots rather than characters.

#455 User is offline Laughingcow 

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:07 PM

View PostDark Sonic, on 15 January 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

View PostRavenfreak, on 15 January 2019 - 05:02 PM, said:

It is funny how Metal Sonic went from like nonexistent to 4th main character in the past 10 years. I guess they just consider those other Sonic robots to just be robots rather than characters.

I just wonder why they don't go with Neo Metal Sonic considering the continuity split. Or at least have it as Metal's ascended state.

BTW, they could have just gone with an Artificial Chaos as their power driver. Let's them use chaos without breaking continuity (like they give a shit).

#456 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:08 PM

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 15 January 2019 - 04:25 PM, said:

although I've actually grown to appreciate Sonic in his not-Ferrari Ferrari in Sonic Drift. As it is both a symbol of "being fast" and is red, its a reasonable replacement for Sonic's red shoes

It has vertical white stripes on the sides, so that was definitely the intention. They were probably thinking along the same lines when they introduced the Tornado in Sonic 2.

It's just more interesting visually when the colors of the vehicle contrast with the driver, rather than blending together. It feels all a bit too trite when the vehicles are modeled after their driver, Batmobile style. You get a bit more insight into Sonic as a character when he's the kind of guy who's into vintage bi-planes and red sports cars, instead of just "this car is blue and spiky because Sonic is blue and spiky". It's cool that Blaze's car looks classy and regal, but does it need cat ears? And of course Vector would drive a tacky pimped out muscle car, but does it need to look like a crocodile?

Come to think of it, isn't this game supposed to have a vehicle customisation feature? I wonder when they'll show that off.

#457 User is offline Nicky Ali 

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:21 PM

• Will stop at nothing to remind you that the Advance Trilogy exists

View PostPengi, on 15 January 2019 - 06:08 PM, said:

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 15 January 2019 - 04:25 PM, said:

although I've actually grown to appreciate Sonic in his not-Ferrari Ferrari in Sonic Drift. As it is both a symbol of "being fast" and is red, its a reasonable replacement for Sonic's red shoes

It has vertical white stripes on the sides, so that was definitely the intention. They were probably thinking along the same lines when they introduced the Tornado in Sonic 2.

It's just more interesting visually when the colors of the vehicle contrast with the driver, rather than blending together. It feels all a bit too trite when the vehicles are modeled after their driver, Batmobile style. You get a bit more insight into Sonic as a character when he's the kind of guy who's into vintage bi-planes and red sports cars, instead of just "this car is blue and spiky because Sonic is blue and spiky". It's cool that Blaze's car looks classy and regal, but does it need cat ears? And of course Vector would drive a tacky pimped out muscle car, but does it need to look like a crocodile?

My guess is that since it's a team based game, they probably wanted vehicles that are easier to recognise as belonging to your team-mate during a race. Like, you're in a race and you see this big spiky blue car and you immediately think "oh that must be Sonic and he's on my team".

I definitely agree though that it's better when vehicle designs are different from the character. It's the reason why Crash's kart is blue in CTR. The blue compliments his orange.
This post has been edited by Nicky Ali: 15 January 2019 - 06:24 PM

#458 User is online 360 

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:37 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Game still seems quite rote and uninspired, sadly. Tee Lopes on the soundtrack is the only glimmer of light here. What mystifies me is that All-Stars Racing Transformed supposedly sold millions, even on the Wii U, so you really would have thought a proper successor would have been speedily green-lit. Instead we're going Sonic-only with Sega's legacy stripped out of the game and everyone's not as hyped because of it. I mean I wish Sega all the best with this and hope it reviews well - but it's yet another game (after Forces) that I can just easily skip in the hopes of something better coming along.

Sumo will undoubtedly produce a decent and solid game here but it's just so colourless and uninspired relative to their past work. Still hoping for the best though.
This post has been edited by 360: 15 January 2019 - 06:40 PM

#459 User is offline Frozen 

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:53 PM

• Project:https://sonicworldcollectors.wordpress.com/ cover database
I really want to see a Sonic racing game ispired to OutRun, where you can choice the different routes and visit different places from sonic series (how about a fan-made game or a MOD for outrun 2006?)

p.s. Isn't Infinite better than zavok? https://imgur.com/yIx9HAu
This post has been edited by Frozen: 15 January 2019 - 06:54 PM

#460 User is offline Casshern 

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:22 PM

View PostOverlord, on 15 January 2019 - 05:30 PM, said:

It doesn't help with the Deadly Six that they're all so generic; whether it's Evil, Old, Fat, Crazy, Emo, or Girl. (I'm sure they also have other names.)

To me what doesn't click with the Deadly Six is their designs. I think the Sonic cast has always had generic personalities but it's their designs that makes them interesting.

For example, the Hard Boiled Heavies have generic personalities too. Heavy King just screams I want to betray Eggman cause I'm better, Heavy Rider is the thrill-seeker one, Heavy magician is the tricky one etc etc. but their designs just work and look like Sonic characters (and Sega employee that's reading this I want to see more of them please, pass this along) and to me that makes them more interesting.

But the Deadly Six, at least to me, just don't look right next to the cast. They are not bad by any means, but they don't look like Sonic/Sega characters.

I almost wished they looked more like they came out of Sonic/Nights into Dreams than Nintendo or whatever they were going for if that makes sense.

#461 User is offline Hitlersaurus Christ 

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:19 AM

• @gayanimedad
  • Project:Snoic Generatons 2017
At first I was thinking “why the fuck are they still pushing Zavok? Does ANYBODY like Zavok?” But then I realized: No, nobody does, but he's the only unique villain character with a model they can use. I mean, who else would they pick that wouldn't require more development time to implement (aside from Eggman Nega, who had a model in the Olympics games but is essentially a recolor)?

There's Infinite, but I'm pretty sure they said they started development a few years ago, so I'm not sure how much access they would have had to the Forces dev team's assets, and Infinite was dead plot-wise anyway.
This post has been edited by Hitlersaurus Christ: 16 January 2019 - 05:20 AM

#462 User is offline dot.kh 

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:04 PM

• jarring
What bugs me is that we're most likely not to see how they teamed up. I mean, are they friends now? Hopefully story mode will shed some light on this.

Now that we know the 15 characters I believe I have a better understanding of what Team Sonic Racing is all about: driving and fighting. That's what makes it interesting. A shame that some of my favourite characters are missing. There's no excuse for that.

Ok, this made me laugh:
Posted Image :specialed:/>
This post has been edited by dot.kh: 17 January 2019 - 09:53 AM

#463 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:09 PM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN
Alright. I'll give one word of praise for Zavok. His Japanese voice actor is the great Jouji Nakata, who also voices dudes like Sol Badguy, Alucard (Hellsing) and has been in the gig since the 80's. Quite a legend.

Of course, this has no bearing on Zavok as a character, but it's literally the only reason I don't outright shake my head everytime he appears.

#464 User is offline Adamis 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:24 AM

• Gimme waffles!
  • Project:Lammy and "Fafnir"
  • Wiki edits:53
Same here, he's dubbed in French by Benoit Allemane, who's been in the industry for decades. He voiced Yen Sid in Epic Mickey and Kingdom Hearts, Kain in Soul Reaver, Grougaloragran in Wakfu, and many more.

#465 User is offline SuperSnoopy 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:50 AM

• I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw

View PostAdamis, on 17 January 2019 - 04:24 AM, said:

Same here, he's dubbed in French by Benoit Allemane, who's been in the industry for decades. He voiced Yen Sid in Epic Mickey and Kingdom Hearts, Kain in Soul Reaver, Grougaloragran in Wakfu, and many more.

Yeah, I actually kinda like french zavok. Maybe it's nostalgia for Benoit's voice, I dunno. But I hope he's back for Team Sonic Racing, he made Zavok sound legitimately badass.
This post has been edited by SuperSnoopy: 17 January 2019 - 06:04 AM

• 37 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 1 anonymous users