Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: SPOILER Sonic Forces Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 410 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

SPOILER Sonic Forces Thread

#6136 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:39 PM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN
Definitely no critique of SEGA in there, and I wish Iizuka had said the same thing when Lost World was being made ("This feels like a Nintendo game!").
Miyamoto's just pointing out that something might feel more like Outrun than Mario Kart. Besides, in 2008 SEGA and Nintendo were pretty close. Sonic was in Brawl (coming out that year!), Mario & Sonic were already at the Olympics. I can't see Miyamoto throwing shade at SEGA under those circumstances. If Japanese businesses were going to criticize eachother, they would wait until the shareholder meetings! :v:/>

View PostVectorCNC, on 13 January 2018 - 01:42 AM, said:

If a. Miyamoto actually identifies Sega routinely when he states this, then you can assume he is deliberately making a negative inference. Why else would he routinely identify it as the “other”. It wouldn't make sense for him to arbitrarily choose a company with a positive public profile.

That's because historically, Sega WAS the "other". Despite the two being in different and friendly places now, the Nintendo/SEGA rivalry probably still lingers around in spirit, and a lot of the older Nintendo staff would probably still joke about Sega being the 'enemy', or the 'opposite' of Nintendo.

At least this is all my take on it.
This post has been edited by Sir_mihael: 13 January 2018 - 09:39 PM

#6137 User is offline Laughingcow 

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:05 PM

View PostXCubed, on 13 January 2018 - 05:33 PM, said:

Regardless of what he said, they seemed to have mastered rolling physics in 3D!

And introducing the classic version of a character as a functional part of the game.

Part of me wants to go on a long hard tangent but what would be the point? Sonic Forces, meh meh.

*Leaves to go back to playing Xenoblade 2 and hoping to get Kos-mos.

#6138 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostSir_mihael, on 13 January 2018 - 09:39 PM, said:

If a. Miyamoto actually identifies Sega routinely when he states this, then you can assume he is deliberately making a negative inference. Why else would he routinely identify it as the “other”. It wouldn't make sense for him to arbitrarily choose a company with a positive public profile.

That's because historically, Sega WAS the "other". Despite the two being in different and friendly places now, the Nintendo/SEGA rivalry probably still lingers around in spirit, and a lot of the older Nintendo staff would probably still joke about Sega being the 'enemy', or the 'opposite' of Nintendo.

I was thinking this earlier and yes, exactly this. For the longest time Sega was the other Nintendo.

#6139 User is offline VectorCNC 

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

• Project:CNC Sculpture/Artwork

View PostDark Sonic, on 13 January 2018 - 10:18 PM, said:

View PostSir_mihael, on 13 January 2018 - 09:39 PM, said:

I was thinking this earlier and yes, exactly this. For the longest time Sega was the other Nintendo.

That's what I meant when I said, "[Miyamoto] could draw contrast between Mario and Sonic approaches, as they were in opposition prototypically".

#6140 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:07 PM

• Sentient Cash Register
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostShaddy the guy, on 13 January 2018 - 12:03 AM, said:

I thought the entire problem people had with Forces was that it's gameplay didn't feel unique or was uninspired when compared to other boost games? Isn't that the exact opposite problem of what you're describing here?

Nah. More of the same would've been fine if the physics and level design hadn't been massive step down. It didn't need to be more unique, it just needed to be better.

#6141 User is online Shaddy the guy 

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:48 PM

• Zaphod's just some guy, you know?
  • Project:Completely remaking my fanedit because I messed up
It doesn't really feel all that worse, honestly. The only really noticeable thing is Sonic's jump in forward momentum.

#6142 User is offline Glaber 

Posted Yesterday, 02:40 AM

• Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA
  • Project:Gmod Ragdolls and Props, Pony maps
  • Wiki edits:10
they definatly could have done without classic's run cap. Makes him slow down about as fast as an SRB2 character after hitting a horizontal booster on the ground.

And that's a double slam at 2 games.

They did get the rolling right, but maybe a bit too accurate since a certain bug seen in early game play videos was technically a classic one from Sonic 1 on the Genesis. (try rolling down the slopes in spring yard some time)

#6143 User is online Shaddy the guy 

Posted Yesterday, 03:45 AM

• Zaphod's just some guy, you know?
  • Project:Completely remaking my fanedit because I messed up
Okay, I'll give you the run cap. That was definitely weird-looking.

#6144 User is offline MathUser 

Posted Yesterday, 12:03 PM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865
I just played through this game. It was pretty fun. Heavy focus on 2d stages.

#6145 User is offline dot.kh 

Posted Yesterday, 04:14 PM

• Puzzle, Combat, Puzzle, Puzzle, Kart section
Forces doesn't empathize with the player imo. The camera, controls and animations (to some extent) do not feel natural. Classic Sonic's sound effect for jumping doesn't fit when he's rotating too much (which forces me to look more precisely at the screen). I have no fun overcoming flaws like that. :(

#6146 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted Yesterday, 04:59 PM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN

View PostCovarr, on 14 January 2018 - 08:07 PM, said:

View PostShaddy the guy, on 13 January 2018 - 12:03 AM, said:

I thought the entire problem people had with Forces was that it's gameplay didn't feel unique or was uninspired when compared to other boost games? Isn't that the exact opposite problem of what you're describing here?

Nah. More of the same would've been fine if the physics and level design hadn't been massive step down. It didn't need to be more unique, it just needed to be better.

I wouldn't even say it needed to be better. It just needed to be on par with Generations to keep people satisfied. Instead it took Generations' skin and tried to stretch it over a new forbidden shape, using a bit of Lost World adhesive tape to hold it together whilst tying a Wisp ribbon on top.

I mean, I don't hate Forces by any means, but in the words of Redlettermedia: "It's not a mess, but it is messy..."

• 410 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

4 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google,
  2. Pending Member: Scrap Rabbit