Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic the Hedgehog: Mecha Madness - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Sonic the Hedgehog: Mecha Madness Mecha Madness returns to UE4

#1 User is offline StreakThunderstorm 

Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

• Project:Mecha Madness
Hello everyone. I'm back after a loooooooong time. I finished school, got a Bachelor's Degree in Fine Arts with a concentration in Computer animation from the School of Visual Arts in NYC. Now that I have some free time, I wanted to get back into my fangame Mecha Madness. I hope that some of you remember it. For those of you new to it, this was its state before I abandoned the project due to time constraints with school:

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

I've decided to bring it back in full 3D glory in UE4. I have a job doing VR in UE4 for a VFX firm in NYC but I really want to get back into making games.
<removed>
Above is my Patreon. I'm still going to do the project on the side regardless but some money will definitely make it happen faster. Got lots of bills to pay but I'd love to share the love I had for Sonic once with everyone along with the new skills I've acquired from school.
This post has been edited by Overlord: 25 June 2017 - 01:08 PM

#2 User is offline Mega Spit 

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:19 PM

I remember this game, and I'm happy to see you back! I'd like to see where this goes... but, in general, taking money for fangames is really, really frowned upon.

#3 User is offline True Dude 

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:50 PM

• Wiki edits:980
By some people maybe. I don't see the issue with it. Though if you want to steer clear of any C&D's (Even if Sega hasn't done that to any Sonic fan game I've ever seen) you might want to rethink the way the page is set up to focus less on the fan game, lest they think you're profiting off their property.

What would the new game be like? Adventure style, Unleashed, something like Sonic Utopia?

#4 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:41 AM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
Is that what Meinukey has been helping you with in Unreal 4?
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 25 June 2017 - 09:42 AM

#5 User is offline 360 

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:39 PM

• Daft Punk Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
So some quick first impressions: looks pretty cool! It's like a hybrid of Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush but on steroids. Some really cool flashy and slick effects and an awesome engine you've got there. Excellent work! Also follow the advice regarding the Patreon thing - everyone needs money but you don't want to get in to trouble. As I recall Joseph Waters (Sonic XG) did the same thing and we actually all worked together on here to advise him against it. Sega don't generally DMCA fangames but the general rule is that when money gets involved you become vulnerable to legal action, since if you're discovered you'll force their hand. Maybe augment the Patreon page to something more general?

Otherwise your fangame looks pretty fucking great, and keep up the excellent work.
This post has been edited by 360: 25 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

#6 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:08 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
I have removed the link to the Patreon. Please don't promote taking cash for unlicensed fangames.

#7 User is offline StreakThunderstorm 

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:47 PM

Patreon has been updated to be more general(Even though you deleted it) and not simply pertaining to the fangame. I have a team of people interested in working on this and we're all skilled and experienced working with UE4, C++ and Sonic physics in general.

#8 User is offline StreakThunderstorm 

Posted Yesterday, 07:40 PM

Worked on Sonic in Zbrush. Was going for a mix between modern and classic.
Posted Image

#9 User is offline Felik 

Posted Today, 01:30 AM

• Wiki edits:1

View PostStreakThunderstorm, on Yesterday, 07:40 PM, said:

pic

Reminds me of Sonic Runners' Sonic model aka chibiSonic.

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users