Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Guide to restoring Hidden Palace in Sonic 2 CENSOR Prototype - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Guide to restoring Hidden Palace in Sonic 2 CENSOR Prototype Quick guide on how to fully restore HPZ in S2 CENSOR

#1 User is offline Random Gaming 

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:31 AM

This topic is a quick guide on how to fully restore Hidden Palace in the Sonic 2 CENSOR Prototype through having two savestates, an emulator, a Hex Editor and two Sonic 2 Prototypes

Step 1) After downloading an emulator that can create genecyst savestates (*.gs*), a Hex editor, Sonic 2 Simon Wai Prototype and Sonic 2 CENSOR Prototype, create a savestate in the CENSOR Prototype in Emerald Hill Act 1.

Step 2) Edit that savestate and change location 12288 from Hex Value 00 (EHZ Zone ID) to Hex Value 08 (HPZ Zone ID), then fire up the savestate and you'll see a glitchy background. From there go ahead and kill Sonic (in Act 1 always) and you'll spawn in Hidden Palace. Then just create another savestate while in Hidden Palace Zone.

Step 3) Open Simon Wai Beta. While in the Title Screen press A+Start and you'll see a Level Select. Select Hidden Palace and when there, create another savestate. Now here comes the copying and pasting.

Step 4) Start up your Hex Editor and open up both savestates there. Now using the (outdated but simple and useful for what we're doing) Guide, copy the 128x128 block mappings, the level layout, the 16x16 block mappings and all of the video ram from the Simon Wai Savestate and paste it to the CENSOR savestate. You may want to copy and paste Sonic's x and y position, due to the high chance of you spawning in the wall.

Step 5) Load the CENSOR savestate into your emulator while running said Prototype and you'll be right into Hidden Palace with the final Sonic Sprites, all objects intact and the correct collision.

NOTES: If you die in Hidden Palace you'll respawn back into the glitchy mess we started with. Also another thing to note is that trying this exact method in the final version of Sonic 2 will restore most graphics, but will not restore enemy data and if you have all seven Chaos Emeralds by jumping only once with fifty rings you will turn into Super Sonic (probably just due to some data location changes from the betas to the final).
Leave your questions or suggestions in replies below.
This post has been edited by Random Gaming: 04 May 2019 - 12:46 PM

#2 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 04 May 2019 - 03:36 PM

• Wiki edits:18
...Yeah, copying and pasting levels from one savestate to the other is a thing. Why is this special?

#3 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 04 May 2019 - 04:31 PM

• Coming for dat booty!
  • Project:Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
  • Wiki edits:112
What year is this 1999? :v: I haven't seen anyone mess with savestate hacking, because I didn't join the community until 2008 and even then it would still be outdated. Plus I don't think you should have posted two topics in separate areas of the forums stating the same thing.

#4 User is offline Neo 

Posted 04 May 2019 - 04:36 PM

• Not actually a clacker or a jack
  • Project:Sonic 3 Unlocked
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostICEknight, on 04 May 2019 - 03:36 PM, said:

...Yeah, copying and pasting levels from one savestate to the other is a thing. Why is this special?

This is perhaps a bit too harsh, because if I'm reading his post correctly, the CENSOR prototype still has the object code for the HPZ enemies, so you get the unique combination of final Sonic sprites + playable Hidden Palace, which we still haven't seen anywhere besides the magazines of the time.

Having said that, though, this is the kind of scenario where a video would be worth a thousand words!

#5 User is offline Random Gaming 

Posted 04 May 2019 - 04:40 PM

Well, there are people here who probably didn't know that. It also has varying results based on the version of the game and the level. For example Wood Zone to Sonic 3 CENSOR has the same collision except from the slopes which are pretty broken, such as Hidden Palace in the Final has major collision issues and a few minor graphical ones. Anyway I though it could be useful.

View PostNeo, on 04 May 2019 - 04:36 PM, said:

This is perhaps a bit too harsh, because if I'm reading his post correctly, the CENSOR prototype still has the object code for the HPZ enemies, so you get the unique combination of final Sonic sprites + playable Hidden Palace, which we still haven't seen anywhere besides the magazines of the time.

Having said that, though, this is the kind of scenario where a video would be worth a thousand words!

So you're saying that I should make a video showing this method?

#6 User is offline Hez 

Posted 04 May 2019 - 05:30 PM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27
Good effort man. Don't let this get you down, but all this stuff has been known for a while. Id suggest searching around the hacking forum here before posting discoveries.

Can someone trash this?

#7 User is offline Neo 

Posted 04 May 2019 - 05:30 PM

View PostRandom Gaming, on 04 May 2019 - 04:40 PM, said:

I'm saying a video would show off the interesting bits without forcing the casual observer to jump through so many hoops.

I took the bait anyway, so here's a CENSOR proto savestate. I took the liberty of not copying ALL of the VRAM, so you start from the middle of title card (at which point which the level has loaded).

View PostHez, on 04 May 2019 - 05:30 PM, said:

Can someone trash this?

Can someone please enforce the backseat moderating rule? Oh wait, shit. Never mind.
This post has been edited by Neo: 04 May 2019 - 05:33 PM

#8 User is offline Super Egg 

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:43 PM

• Master of MS Paint.
  • Project:Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
  • Wiki edits:46
I already did this, except I actually added the level assets via hex editing and rudimentary assembly....

http://forums.sonicr...ndpost&p=938471
This post has been edited by Super Egg: 04 May 2019 - 10:48 PM

#9 User is offline Random Gaming 

Posted 05 May 2019 - 02:21 AM

View PostNeo, on 04 May 2019 - 05:30 PM, said:

View PostRandom Gaming, on 04 May 2019 - 04:40 PM, said:

I'm saying a video would show off the interesting bits without forcing the casual observer to jump through so many hoops.

I took the bait anyway, so here's a CENSOR proto savestate. I took the liberty of not copying ALL of the VRAM, so you start from the middle of title card (at which point which the level has loaded).

Okay, I'll give the video a shot. Can you tell me where I can possibly post it on Sonic Retro, after posting it on YouTube?

#10 User is offline Laura 

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:13 AM

• Brightened Eyes
It's curious the way people really want to trash threads on here.

This is a good thread, not everyone here is a super hacker.

#11 User is offline Toasty 

Posted 05 May 2019 - 08:20 AM

• BulbaSAUR!
  • Wiki edits:3

View PostLaura, on 05 May 2019 - 05:13 AM, said:

It's curious the way people really want to trash threads on here.

Because we were assholes back in the day.

#12 User is offline Super Egg 

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:52 AM

• Master of MS Paint.
  • Project:Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
  • Wiki edits:46
I mean, the concept is neat I guess, but savestate hacking in 2019? We have all the assets of HPZ from the protos via disassemblies, and MainMemory's SonLVL can convert them to S2F's format. All that really needs to be done is to find the locations of where the level art and the level layout is pointed at , change them to somewhere after the end of the ROM, add them in using a tiny assembly file that has the data inc'd to the points you've assigned in the hex locations from earlier, and that's it. The collision, ring layouts, and object layouts are still intact.

I will say however, if this is op's first dip into Sonic hacking, Congrats! I am impressed that you'd go into something so archaic, but if you're willing to start there and move up, I'm certain you will do great things in the future.

#13 User is offline Neo 

Posted 05 May 2019 - 11:08 AM

Sigh.

I don't get it. What is this vitriol against savestate hacking? If all the data we need to patch back into the game is loaded to RAM anyway, and if it allows us to explore something unique about the CENSOR prototype, namely Hidden Palace Zone in its closest state to completion, before data started being removed from the cartridge, then how is distributing a modified savestate worse than an edited ROM which you still have to load into an emulator, and then edit the RAM anyway to change the current level because HPZ is not accessible from the level select?

I swear to god, you guys seriously disappoint me sometimes!
This post has been edited by Neo: 05 May 2019 - 11:09 AM

#14 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 05 May 2019 - 01:11 PM

• Wiki edits:18

Ok, maybe it sounded too harsh (sorry!) but my question was not rhetorical, I was actually wondering why this could be useful.

#15 User is offline Hez 

Posted 05 May 2019 - 01:47 PM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27

View PostICEknight, on 05 May 2019 - 01:11 PM, said:

Ok, maybe it sounded too harsh (sorry!) but my question was not rhetorical, I was actually wondering why this could be useful.

You weren't too harsh at all. This should, at minimum, be in the hacking forum. Granted, I'm not sure if trial members can see it or not. Whatever the case, it should be moved there at minimum.

To my point...why are we allowing this shit? You could spend a bare minimum of 5 minutes googling and...HOLY SHIT, http://forums.sonicr...howtopic=10872. WOW. http://www.romhacking.net/start/ HOLY SHIT!

Or we can continue to feed the new people peanuts and they'll never learn? At least the Human Super Sonic topic was entertaining.

EDIT: I should state right now I think the guide is a decently written guide. I don't want to discourage this guy from making them. I'm more disappointing in the older members.

And Laura, what the fuck? There is literally a forum dedicated to this shit. Do you like to just see yourself post sometimes? You've been around long enough to know this. Am I taking crazy pills or something?
This post has been edited by Hez: 05 May 2019 - 01:49 PM

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users