don't click here

Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Diablohead, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

*cough*

If this is a port of ASR, it makes me glad I didn't already buy the DS version. But, would it be a straight-up port with improved graphics (or worse graphics if they ported the Wii one?) and 3D or would it actually include some half-decent bonuses?

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It'll likely be a straight port with 3D tbh. They might throw in a bonus track or two if there's new stuff in the arcade version but I wouldn't hold out that much hope.

That said, I have the DS version, and it's good enough that it might be worth buying in 3D (though I didn't actually buy the DS one, it was a gift =P)

3. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I don't really understand were this rumor of a port for the 3DS is coming from at all. Not even SSASR's beta name matches up to either which was Sega Superstars Karts. This is most likely for some entirely unrelated game with like a %1 chance it's SSASR.

ARS2?SSASR
    SSR 3DS?SSASR

Were do they match? Explain.

4. FuzzballFox

FuzzballFox

Hmmmmm Member
    UK - Hampshire
    Nothing anymore
    Any guesses on how long it will take Sega to re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re—release Sonic 1 on the 3DS? :V

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

S0L referred it as SSR more than once, and and one port remarked that fans used a different abbreviation (ASR of course) for it than the dev team did. I can't remember what it was, but I'm pretty sure it was SSR.

6. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    SSR seems to be the common internal abbreviation, judging by the conversation I had yesterday.

Anyhow! ASR Arcade. What's there to know? Well, the game is roughly 85% done (should be ready by March), and has been tweaked slightly and cut down for the arcade. Characters not included are Knuckles, Big, Zobio and Zobiko, Alex Kidd, Opa-Opa, Mobo and Robo, and the Chu Chu Rocket lot (also the console exclusives, duh). Courses that were definitely cut include Ocean Ruin, Roulette Road, Thunder Deck, Icicle Valley, Lava Lair, Treetops, Monkey Target, Rokkaku Hill, Rocky-Coaster, Sewer Scrapes and Deadly Route. Also, none of the DLC stuff made it in.

All in all then, the game has 13 racers and 13 courses, assuming that I've got all the cuts correct.

Two reasons were given for these cuts. Firstly, the number of characters had to be reduced for ease of browsing within the time limit. This reason also applies to the courses, but also there was a drive to reduce drift dependency (the Super Monkey Ball courses were specifically cited here).

Grand Prix mode takes place over three courses: Sunshine Tour, Turbine Loop and Sandy Drifts. The latter was chosen for its difficulty...

Items seem mostly present and correct, though I didn't see any Superstar attacks. They can no longer be fired backwards (they tried to implement it, but it didn't work out with the wheel controls), but in a cute touch the item button on your wheel lights up with different colours for each item (red for speed shoes, green for shield, cycles through for the rainbow, etc.). The dynamic cabinet lighting should also reflect gameplay - for example, a player with an incoming attack will have their cabinet flash red.

Graphically, the game doesn't hit the heights of previous Sega Amusements Europe releases, which have used the custom Europa set-up. ASR is running on the relatively weak Ringwide hardware to keep costs down, which also means the frame rate stays down at 30fps. The models mostly look fine too, but Akira and Jacky look a little... shiny.

The game is set up to allow ticket vending, which should greatly increase the game's chances with arcade operators (who vastly prefer redemption to straight-up video games at this point in time). At EAG the game was set to give 20 tickets for the winner and 5 for runners up. There's a ticket multiplier in effect for multiplayer races - the winner of an 8 player race would get over 100 tickets.

Other points of interest:

- Ryo Hazuki was left in to avoid fan backlash, and provide a neat secret (the forklift is in!)
    - Attract mode song is "Can You Feel the Sunshine?" (this "had to be done")
    - It's the first Western development for Ringwide

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Damn shame they cut Knuckles out he was my favorite character in the game. Also what is attract mode (Althought it's awesome that they used Can you feel the Sunshine for anything haha)

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I was assume it's just the game showcasing itself.

9. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    That's exactly what Attract Mode is. If you leave any arcade game (and even most console games) idling at the title screen, it'll play something - gameplay footage, cinematics, tutorials, you name it - both to generate attention to itself ("attract" customers, geddit) and fight off any would-be instances of burn-in.

10. :D Sega realizes the importance of Shenmue. Now if they do something of meaning with that knowledge...

11. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    I really hope that they're continuing to port this game means they're still considering a sequel. I want one to exist badly, and every time this thread gets a significant bump my hopes are raised.

12. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    So basically everything I said that they need to do they're just going to ignore for the sake of laziness. Good job team!

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I'm out of the loop but....was SSASR really that good? I've always looked at it as a moderately decent cash-in, but I've only played a demo.

14. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I would classify it as the best Kart Racer in years.

15. I would agree with this, although it's worth noting that the game doesn't do anything terribly special or new, it's just rock solid as far as the kart racer genre goes.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Good to know. Is the Wii version comparable to the PS3/360 versions? If it is I'll probably pick it up.

17. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Aside from some DLC lacking, it's just as good. Go for it.

18. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    The Wii version is a direct port of the 360 one so it's just as good, but the controls are a bit worse in my opinion just because the controller isn't very comfortable to me.

19. Well, except the Wii version has fanart of Sonia instead of Amy on one of the textures.

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    The Gamecube controller works on it, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.