Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Basic Questions & Answers thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 394 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Basic Questions & Answers thread NEWBIES: Start here!

#5896 User is offline ALittleTooFast 

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:25 AM

• How about that?
Alright, I've been wanting to edit Sonic's Life Icon, Continue, Continue Screen, and Credits sprites, but I can seem to find the right mappings for them in my disassembly, and the ones I do seem to find screw up the graphics.
Am I missing something? Or do these just not have maps?
This post has been edited by ALittleTooFast: 27 July 2017 - 07:47 AM

#5897 User is offline Chainspike 

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:12 PM

• ?ZONE ACT 1¿
  • Project:Untitled Sonic 3 & Knuckles Hack (delayed)
I have been wanting to hack Sonic 3 (alone) for a very long time. Does anybody know how I would go about this? Any help is appreciated!

#5898 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:59 AM

• The architect of the universe, didn't build a stairway, leading nowhere.
  • Wiki edits:16
Well firstly, we need to know what you already know, so we know where to start explaining. But I'll go ahead and state a few minor things to get the ball rolling.

Most of the "hacking" nower days is done via disassemblies, but, from what I understand, unlike the other Sonic titles, we do not have a Sonic 3 disassembly. The reason is that we have a Sonic & Knuckles disassembly which contains huge portions of Sonic 3, thus, effectively having a Sonic 3 disassembly within reason, but we do not have Sonic 3 on its own. There might be an IDA file on the wiki (I haven't checked) which might be dumpable and useable, but I don't think so.

Your options are (but likely not limited to) the following:

• You hack a raw binary Sonic 3 file with a hex editor or various old tools like those "hacking studios" (yeah, I know, it's so cute now! dX), and if you have some knowledge of the binary pathing formulars to the 68k and/or z80, you should be able to modify the code to your liking.
  • You could start making a disassembly of Sonic 3 of your own to make the code modifying easier on your part, split everything out, and so forth, and work with that.
  • You could just work on the Sonic & Knuckles disassembly with Sonic 3 lock-on, but modify it back so it looks and functions like Sonic 3 again, then you'd pretty much have a Sonic 3 disassembly, but it'll also be a little more solid (Sonic 3 had bugs that Sonic & Knuckles fixed).

What it comes down to is what knowledge you currently already possess, and how much you're willing to learn (for example, I could be talking to you about disassemblies, and you'd probably not know what one is, but I don't currently know that). It also depends on what you're happy to compromise with.

This is just the beginning though, there are several other aspects to take in mind, but you can learn them all on the way~ The more information you give, the more everyone can help you.

#5899 User is offline Chainspike 

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:01 PM

• ?ZONE ACT 1¿
  • Project:Untitled Sonic 3 & Knuckles Hack (delayed)
I didn't think there was a Sonic 3 disassembly. I did find these, but I couldn't open any of them because IDA said the file was corrupted. I also tried hex editing, but I do not have a hex editor that shows the ASM equivalents of hex values. The problem with editors like ESE II is that they can only edit some of the levels in Sonic 3 and do not allow for new objects to be added. (for obvious reasons) I could try to make my own Sonic 3 disassembly, but I have next to no knowledge on how to make a disassembly. Editing the Sonic 3 & Knuckles disassembly into a "Sonic 3 disassembly" could work, but I am looking for the original Sonic 3; not an imitation.

#5900 User is online MainMemory 

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:28 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
You could possibly use that "ROMulan" tool Stealth made for editing ROMs with SonED2.

#5901 User is offline cleverking 

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:21 AM

I wanted to add Dinobot badnik (from Hidden Palace Zone) to Sonic 1. If the badnik is placed in air, then it should teleport to the ground. However, it doesn't happen. Many badniks use exactly the same code! Here it is:
; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Object 4F - Dinobot (isn't finished yet)
; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obj4F:
	moveq #0, d0
	move.b obRoutine(a0), d0
	move.w Obj4F_Index(pc, d0.w), d1
	jmp Obj4F_Index(pc, d1.w)

Obj4F_Index:
	dc.w Obj4F_Main-Obj4F_Index
	dc.w Obj4F_Action-Obj4F_Index

Obj4F_Main:
	move.w #$480, obGfx(a0)
	move.b #4, obRender(a0)
	move.l #Dino_Map, obMap(a0)
	move.b #4, obPriority(a0)
	move.b #$10, obHeight(a0)
	move.b #6, obWidth(a0)
	move.b #$10, obActWid(a0)
	move.b #$C, obColType(a0)
	jsr	    (ObjectFall).l
	jsr		(ObjFloorDist).l
	tst.w	d1
	bpl.s	@floor_ret
	add.w	d1,obY(a0)	; match object's position with the floor
	move.w	#0,obVelY(a0)
	addq.b	#2,obRoutine(a0)
	bchg	#0,obStatus(a0)

@floor_ret:
	rts	

Obj4F_Action:
	bsr DisplaySprite
	rts

Please tell me what I did wrong.

#5902 User is offline Caverns 4 

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:54 AM

• Project:Sanik Quest: Journey To The Right
Does anyone know of tool/converter that can change a WAV file to the 4-bit DPCM samples I would need to make a DAC sample?
Thanks to anyone who can help.

@cleverking:
The bad news is, I don't know the answer to your question. However, Motobug behaves almost exactly the same as Redz; Looking at how Motobug does it will help you.

Also:
Obj4F_Action: bsr DisplaySprite rts

Could be just a little more optimized as:

Obj4F_Action: bra DisplaySprite

Edit: I looks at Motobug, only to see that nothing looks wrong.. Where are you placing the badnik, precisely?
This post has been edited by Caverns 4: 13 August 2017 - 06:50 PM

• 394 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users