Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Ring Poll - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Ring Poll (135 member(s) have cast votes)

1: Which one do you prefer most?

1. You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

Ring Poll Make your vote heard! - Open until March 24th.

#16 User is offline Sik 

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:27 AM

• Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11
Considering that the hoax S2HD is based on actually had improved graphics, maybe we shouldn't be selecting the ring nearest to the original, but the one that actually looks the best =P

#17 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:30 AM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
I liked the 3's shading the best, but I think if it had the shape of 4 that it would look better.

#18 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:31 AM

View PostLOst, on Mar 21 2009, 07:46 PM, said:

No vote from me. None of them are close to original Sonic.

This.

#19 User is offline Chaos Knux 

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:40 AM

• Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down.
  • Wiki edits:4
I vote 4 because my eyes were fooled into telling me that you ripped a ring from Heroes. :v:

#20 User is offline Drex 

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:36 AM

• Lazy perfectionist
QUOTE (Vincent @ Mar 21 2009, 06:59 PM) [post="292248"]Posted Image[/quote]
Posted Image
^
ICE's blurry S1 special ring
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic 3

You guys can clearly see how the special stage ring from S1 looks a lot like the regular rings right? The S3K rings look exactly like the special stage ring which obviously says they were aiming for that shape all along.

Let's not go by artwork, commercials, out-sourced games (Chaotix rings), or your own personal preference. Simply voting on what you like is not going to work in this case since some peoples desired interpretation stray far away from what's right in front of them. Keeping it as close to original as possible is really the option since this is such an important part of the game.

That said I think 4 has the closest shape though still not perfect. It could also use some sharper definition between the light, mid, and dark shades. (Dark shades don't need to be any darker; just the transition between levels of shade need to be more defined to help it look more metallic)
This post has been edited by Drex: 22 March 2009 - 02:38 AM

#21 User is offline Scarred Sun 

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:01 AM

• In Defense of Lost Causes
  • Project:Staying woke
  • Wiki edits:36,091
None of the above. Am I the only one who can see that a rendered ring looks really, really dumb next to hand-drawn sprites?

Make it look DRAWN.

#22 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:50 AM

• Project:Atomic Sonic Part II
I like how all the rings clashes so badly with the rest of the art.

#23 User is offline lotharstar 

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:52 AM

View PostScarred Sun, on Mar 22 2009, 03:01 AM, said:

None of the above. Am I the only one who can see that a rendered ring looks really, really dumb next to hand-drawn sprites?

Make it look DRAWN.

Wow. I have to admit that I hadn't even really thought about this. The whole time the rings looked a bit out of place and I didn't know why - but I think this is it right here.

I'm going to vote for 4, mostly because I like the shape. I think it could be a little thinner (width) and a little flatter on the inside of the ring, but I like the shading and think that it's the closest of the bunch. Looking again, if 5 were a bit thinner with 4's shading, I'd love it to pieces. Looking AGAIN I see that 4 just needs to be a touch thinner and that the shape on the inside is fine.

Ok the more I look at it the more I can't make a decision - 4 is great. I see how you all can say it's different from the original, but I strongly feel it's because the original was so pixelated that you can't possibly match it with quality art. My vote is to find a ring that matches the style of the rest of the art (not the original in Sonic 2) and to go with it.

#24 User is offline Max Firestorm 

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:29 AM

• Pyrodramatic
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostLOst, on Mar 21 2009, 11:46 PM, said:

No vote from me. None of them are close to original Sonic.

/thread.

None of them look close at all =/

#25 User is offline Hodgy 

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:13 AM

• Project:Games programming :)

View PostScarred Sun, on Mar 22 2009, 08:01 AM, said:

Make it look DRAWN.

THIS!

#26 User is offline Elratauru 

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:16 AM

• Oooh Shiny stuff! don't touch it >:(
  • Project:Web Developer
  • Wiki edits:132

View PostSik, on Mar 22 2009, 02:27 AM, said:

Considering that the hoax S2HD is based on actually had improved graphics, maybe we shouldn't be selecting the ring nearest to the original, but the one that actually looks the best =P

This.

Im one of the guys that prefer best looking sprites to original sprites... So its #2 for me I think, they don't clash as that much with the rest of the art, they are shiny, they have a nice glow... Its the same type of art that I draw and I like.

#27 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:26 AM

• 'tis the season
  • Project:it's always the real thing
  • Wiki edits:20,569
I think the thicker rings should be completely out of the question anyway. I've never seen a Sonic game with rings that thick compared to their heights and widths.

In fact taking a ring from one of the 3D games might not be the worst idea in the world. If they still look similar to the Sonic 2 ones you'll have a better base.

Out of these options 3's probably your best choice.

#28 User is offline Conan Kudo 

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:27 AM

• 「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一
  • Wiki edits:14

View PostBlack Squirrel, on Mar 22 2009, 06:26 AM, said:

I think the thicker rings should be completely out of the question anyway. I've never seen a Sonic game with rings that thick compared to their heights and widths.

In fact taking a ring from one of the 3D games might not be the worst idea in the world. If they still look similar to the Sonic 2 ones you'll have a better base.

Out of these options 3's probably your best choice.

It looks like everybody is trying to make it look look "toony" which is fine for most things, but the ring needs to look metallic. You just can't get the right effect when you use the toon shading effect. On top of it, there seems to be too much emphasis on retaining the original ring look. You just can't have it with the rings. I agree with Black Squirrel here except I think that either 1 or 5 would be the best, with leaning towards 5 only because it is more yellow than gold. My personal preference by a small margin would be 1, but it doesn't look right contrasted with the rest of the area.

#29 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:12 AM

• Project:College
  • Wiki edits:22
QUOTE (Drex @ Mar 22 2009, 04:36 AM) [post="292376"]Posted Image[/quote]
Posted Image
^
ICE's blurry S1 special ring
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic 3

You guys can clearly see how the special stage ring from S1 looks a lot like the regular rings right? The S3K rings look exactly like the special stage ring which obviously says they were aiming for that shape all along.

Let's not go by artwork, commercials, out-sourced games (Chaotix rings), or your own personal preference. Simply voting on what you like is not going to work in this case since some peoples desired interpretation stray far away from what's right in front of them. Keeping it as close to original as possible is really the option since this is such an important part of the game.

-I'm stupid-That said I think 4 has the closest shape though still not perfect. It could also use some sharper definition between the light, mid, and dark shades. (Dark shades don't need to be any darker; just the transition between levels of shade need to be more defined to help it look more metallic)
[/quote]

This.
This post has been edited by Master Emerald: 22 March 2009 - 12:23 PM

#30 User is offline PC2 

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:24 AM

• GenMobile > 3DS
  • Project:Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
  • Wiki edits:422
After taking a peek at the WIP General Art thread, I'm going to have to say none of them fit especially well, too. I agree with Scarred Sun and Chimpo, they clash too much with the rest of the art and should look more handdrawn to match the rest of the foreground sprites, not rendered. And honestly, if you guys aren't adding any frames to the rest of the sprites, I see no reason to add more frames to the rings. That just makes them look even less fitting. If you're going to add frames, try not to make it look like an obvious "stock" rotating 3D ring.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users