Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Project HC - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Project HC Looking To Train HCGE Users

#16 User is offline Matwek 

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:30 AM

View PostChimpo, on 20 December 2014 - 01:20 AM, said:

Dude. I love that animation concept, everything looks so fluid.
I can imagin that working really well combined with some sonic style momentum physics. Running up walls to jump back over enemies and shooting across the celing before dropping off and grapple swinging from a chandelier.

If you want to keep the design simple maybe it would work better as a Megaman style game rather than Castlevania?
Simple straight forward levels with a clear goal, but you can pick which order you want to tackle them.
Beating bosses unlocks new weapons/moves.

If you're up for it I would love to pitch an idea together. I have a decent amount of design experience from the indie scene (got a publisher for one game and shown stuff at EGX before).
I imagine a pitch would do better if two people were already on board with the idea.

#17 User is offline Ritz 

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:22 AM

• Subhedgehog
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostMatwek, on 20 December 2014 - 03:12 AM, said:

Thanks. I remember you as one of the few people who actual contributed something useful to the dreaded Retro Project.

Did I? Pretty sure I never lifted a finger for that, but then I think I was working on this thing around that same time and might have offered it up for use. I dunno!

I just dumped a bunch of recent game-centric art over here. That's a very different process, but I'm pretty confident I can handle pixel art, and I could always do some concept thumbnails besides. Me and Chimpo have been bouncing ideas for Spooky Game off each other for a while now, I contributed a dinky background sketch and some enemy designs. Fattenin' up the pitch
This post has been edited by Ritz: 20 December 2014 - 04:32 AM

#18 User is offline Matwek 

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:38 AM

View PostRitz, on 20 December 2014 - 04:22 AM, said:

View PostMatwek, on 20 December 2014 - 03:12 AM, said:

Thanks. I remember you as one of the few people who actual contributed something useful to the dreaded Retro Project.

Did I? Pretty sure I never lifted a finger for that, but then I think I was working on this thing around that same time and might have offered it up for use. I dunno!

I just dumped a bunch of recent game-centric art over here. That's a very different process, but I'm pretty confident I can handle pixel art, and I could always do some concept thumbnails besides. Me and Chimpo have been bouncing ideas for Spooky Game off each other for a while now, I contributed a dinky background sketch and some enemy designs. Fattenin' up the pitch

Ha my mistake. I recognised the name and the art but attributed it to the wrong project. Clearly my brain has melted from staring at pixels for the past 5 years.
My statement still stands though, would love to work with you guys.

Shoot me a PM if you want a hand with the pitch. I promise I won't try and shoehorn all my ideas in.

#19 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:17 AM

View PostMatwek, on 20 December 2014 - 04:38 AM, said:

Shoot me a PM if you want a hand with the pitch. I promise I won't try and shoehorn all my ideas in.

The idea is still very young so any ideas are still very welcomed.

I'll rip open the box with some of the concept sketches I did for it and send you a PM.
This post has been edited by Chimpo: 20 December 2014 - 05:26 AM

#20 User is offline Falk 

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:53 AM

Holy shit Chimpo appeared

#21 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:15 AM

• Sonic Hacking Contest Lead Organiser
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:2,193

View PostFalk, on 20 December 2014 - 06:53 AM, said:

Holy shit Chimpo appeared

All of the above.

Nice idea Stealth, would have emailed you myself if I had anything worthwhile that I could do though. Seems there's plenty of interest anyway from people.

#22 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:26 AM

• SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be.
  • Project:Complete Global Conquest
  • Wiki edits:381
We've talked already, but I'm throwing my name in officially as a programmer. I'd like to have a project to work on that isn't busy work and that I give a shit about. It's been a while.

#23 User is offline MKAmeX 

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:16 AM

• Project:Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
  • Wiki edits:7
This sounds like an incredible opportunity! Now, I understand you want fully committed team members who give it their all, but I am curious about what you consider "full time." Since I'm currently finishing up school, I'd like to know just how much time I am expected to contribute to the project while still maintaining a living and possible social situations, along with other obligations like other group projects. Some of which can easily be cut back on for a project of such importance, but I was just wondering what your thoughts on this are.

That having been said, I plan on sending you a portfolio of work and a rough estimate of my schedule for the up coming semester. After the holidays are finished, I should have a lot more free time to create artwork.

I am absolutely looking forward to seeing what comes of this, along with the prospect of working with some of the most inspirational people I can think of. :)
This post has been edited by MKAmeX: 21 December 2014 - 07:56 AM

#24 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:42 AM

Stealth, just a quick question here.

I didn't see this mention anywhere in the documentation, but are there any networking capabilities with HCGE? I'm just curious if online multiplayer is possible.

#25 User is offline Hivebrain 

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:29 PM

• Project:HivePal 2.0
  • Wiki edits:6,176
I'd be interested in doing some programming.

Does the engine have any sprite scaling/rotation or transparency capabilities?

#26 User is offline Stealth 

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:18 AM

• Project:Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
  • Wiki edits:19
As a note to everyone, there's been some activity in the IRC channel over the last couple of days. Join in anytime to get started discussing this stuff some more

Chimpo, Matwek, Ritz said:

The Pitch
Waiting to see this, looking forward to it!

View PostGeneHF, on 20 December 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

We've talked already, but I'm throwing my name in officially as a programmer. I'd like to have a project to work on that isn't busy work and that I give a shit about. It's been a while.
Awesome, start checking out the documentation when you get a chance and ask me about any issues you run into anytime

View PostMKAmeX, on 21 December 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

This sounds like an incredible opportunity! Now, I understand you want fully committed team members who give it their all, but I am curious about what you consider "full time." Since I'm currently finishing up school, I'd like to know just how much time I am expected to contribute to the project while still maintaining a living and possible social situations, along with other obligations like other group projects. Some of which can easily be cut back on for a project of such importance, but I was just wondering what your thoughts on this are.
Basically I'm just looking for commitment to this project as a high priority. First, you'll need to be able to get used to what you'll be doing before my involvement decreases in April. Other than that, I'd like to potentially see something presentable by that time too, and for the project to keep the same pace until it's complete. Something like several hours a day, most days of the week

View PostChimpo, on 22 December 2014 - 03:42 AM, said:

I didn't see this mention anywhere in the documentation, but are there any networking capabilities with HCGE? I'm just curious if online multiplayer is possible.
I've experimented with it, but netplay is the kind of hell that doesn't play well with getting everything else done. I wouldn't count on it right now

View PostHivebrain, on 22 December 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

I'd be interested in doing some programming.
Awesome again, and same as above; check out the documentation and let me know if you have any problems

View PostHivebrain, on 22 December 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

Does the engine have any sprite scaling/rotation or transparency capabilities?
For now, no. That's another thing you probably won't see until sometime after this project is done

#27 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:44 PM

WAKE ME UP

#28 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:32 PM

• "Our Life is More than a Side-Effect"
It's looking fantastic :D Love the character sprite. Getting Castlevania vibes with that whip!

#29 User is offline StephenUK 

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:36 PM

• Liquor in the front, poker in the rear
  • Project:Quackshot Disassembly
Just a quick question, but do you have a rough idea of how many hours a day/week will need to be dedicated to any kind of training seminars you perform? My brother is due to graduate from university with a degree in various areas of computer programming, game design and such, and I know that not so long back he had started taking in interest in your engine and was playing about with it a bit to see what could be done with it. He was actually talking about taking up some kind of project once he finishes his course, so that he could try and break into a team and kickstart his career in the industry. I will obviously need to relay the information to him you've provided in this topic, but I have a feeling he would be very interested in taking part in this project.

#30 User is offline Falk 

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:58 AM

Obligatory "ha ha you fell through the floor" :V

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users