Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Knuckles' Ringstar (Chaotix) pre-1207 Prototype magazine scans - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Knuckles' Ringstar (Chaotix) pre-1207 Prototype magazine scans

#31 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:06 AM

• maybe she's born with it
  • Project:maybe it's maybelline
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View PostOverlord, on 27 August 2017 - 03:19 PM, said:

Is a wonky sound driver the worst thing in the world for a games show? I've been to more than a couple of shows like that, and half the time the game's sound is drowned out by the surroundings.

It would be if you were trying to push a new console as being the best thing ever!

You'd have to check the dates on all these things, but I'm not sure Chaotix was actually taken to any shows save for Winter CES 1995 in January. That's supposedly where it was unveiled to the public... though Superjuegos #33 is the January 1995 edition... which means it was probably printed in December 1994... and who knows.

Maybe they were trying to hold back information until WCES so that they could guarantee characters' arms wouldn't detatch.

#32 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:09 PM

Re: scans

https://archive.org/...ge/n23/mode/2up

https://archive.org/...ils/superjuegos
https://archive.org/details/todosega

I knew I'd seen collections before.

The problem with these scans, and why they're not on Retro CDN, is that they're kinda crap. Some files are huge, and they all need cropping, but there's hundreds of issues and I can't do everything. So the options are either to upload to Retro CDN as they stand now, or open up your image editor of choice and grab a coffee.

(I live in hope that someone will take the inititive some day).

#33 User is offline LukyHRE 

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:37 PM

• The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar
  • Project:Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostPrototype, on 28 August 2017 - 06:34 AM, said:

I'll take Google Translate's ability to translate accurately with a grain of salt, but from what I'm reading, the version(s) that would have been sent to magazines like Super Juegos and Hobby Consolas were on EPROMs, meaning they likely would have been erased afterwards, and providing that they didn't make a bunch of copies (and why would you? I don't think they could have foreseen this interest in prototype/game development, though I could be wrong) that would mean that it's extremely unlikely any of these versions would still exist. Am I correct in my assumption?

I assumed machine-translating from spanish to english worked well nowadays, but if it's an issue, I can dedicate a bit of my time in translating work for the community. Though as all scans are uploaded like images, I don't know where to pour that work in the wiki.

#34 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:04 PM

• Project:-
  • Wiki edits:22

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 28 August 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

Re: scans

https://archive.org/...ge/n23/mode/2up

https://archive.org/...ils/superjuegos
https://archive.org/details/todosega

I knew I'd seen collections before.

The problem with these scans, and why they're not on Retro CDN, is that they're kinda crap. Some files are huge, and they all need cropping, but there's hundreds of issues and I can't do everything. So the options are either to upload to Retro CDN as they stand now, or open up your image editor of choice and grab a coffee.

(I live in hope that someone will take the inititive some day).

Send them to me using the forum email so I'll ne reminded to do it on the weekend :)

#35 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:39 PM

View PostPrototype, on 25 August 2017 - 05:42 AM, said:

Posted Image

this was an accidental find:

https://picclick.co....2681928669.html

i.e. they scanned in a bit of pre-existing Knuckles art, rather than make it from scratch.

#36 User is offline Prototype 

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

Nice find, Black Squirrel! Now the question still remains, was it actually the title screen, or a mockup? I daresay they would have kept the original art's colour scheme if it was a mockup, but the one used on the "title screen" has a more reddish hue to Knuckles, with the little chest-ring being the same yellow as the surrounding ring, suggesting it's just using a simple palette.
This post has been edited by Prototype: 30 August 2017 - 03:24 PM

#37 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:43 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Why in the world would SEGA make such a crappy mockup of the title screen? Seriously.

#38 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:48 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostICEknight, on 30 August 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

Why in the world would SEGA make such a crappy mockup of the title screen? Seriously.

Posted Image

:v:

#39 User is offline Sodaholic 

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:04 PM

I'd argue that Crackers' title screen, while exceedingly simple, looks far more competent than that appalling drawing.

#40 User is offline LukyHRE 

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:05 PM

• The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar
  • Project:Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'

View PostSodaholic, on 30 August 2017 - 06:04 PM, said:

I'd argue that Crackers' title screen, while exceedingly simple, looks far more competent than that appalling drawing.

When I read the "I'd argue that Crackers' title screen..." part I thought that you were going to say that Crackers' title screen was fake, and another flamewar would start :P

Anyways, for the record, the art in that mockup was also shrinked horizontally, but it's nevertheless the same art.

#41 User is offline Kurairyu 

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:34 PM

I wonder if "Knuckles' Ringstar" and "Nat the Armadillo" would've been used in Japan too or if they would change with the region of the console. It seems odd to rename Mighty. I wonder if he would've been renamed in SegaSonic too, had the localization had been finished. The western title, "Knuckles' Chaotix" always seemed really odd. Maybe the possessive is a remnant from the old title. Perhaps if the western title is already letting you know Knuckles is in this game, that might be a reason for it to say "Starring Espio the Chameleon" in those regions. Although the title cards do still say Knuckles' Ringstar when set to Japan.

This build looks close to the 1207 one, which itself is from just a couple of weeks after the 32x came out in North America. I guess this is what the game looked like when the hardware had shipped.

This poor game had so many names; Sonic Crackers, Sonic Stadium, Project Casablanca, Knuckles' Ringstar, Chaotix: Knuckles' Ringstar, Chaotix, Knuckles' Chaotix ...
This post has been edited by Kurairyu: 21 October 2017 - 11:59 PM

#42 User is offline Ritz 

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:12 AM

• Subhedgehog

View PostKurairyu, on 21 October 2017 - 11:34 PM, said:

Project Casablanca

Never heard this one, source?

#43 User is offline Kurairyu 

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:22 AM

View PostRitz, on 22 October 2017 - 12:12 AM, said:

Project Casablanca

Posted Image

"Cassablanca " Projects The jumbled text

It's in the unfinished credits screen in the 0119 and 0202 prototypes but was removed in 0213. (It's in the stage select as "Not used" Level 0.) It is also mentioned in a string in 1207's sound driver which says, "casablanca version by MILPO".

Also the screenshots of the intro level has mighty as knuckles' partner instead of Espio. but I think that may just mean they used stage select's defaults.
This post has been edited by Kurairyu: 23 October 2017 - 02:26 AM

#44 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:58 AM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostRitz, on 22 October 2017 - 12:12 AM, said:

Project Casablanca

Some unused graphics for the credits, I think?

#45 User is offline evilhamwizard 

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:04 PM

• Wiki edits:109

This poor game had so many names; Sonic Crackers, Sonic Stadium, Project Casablanca, Knuckles' Ringstar, Chaotix: Knuckles' Ringstar, Chaotix, Knuckles' Chaotix ...

You can add "Sonic Chaotix" to the mix too (as well as just "Chaotix"). :P

I meant to post this a few months ago, but I found this (Hobby Consolas #33 - June 1994):
Posted Image

This is the earliest mention of Chaotix I could find in my collection. At this time the 32X was still called the Mega Drive 32, but was confirmed to be using the SH2 processors and everything. It's only mentioned very briefly, but it confirms that it was being planned for the 32X even at this point.

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users