Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 68 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread Mighty and Ray Are Back In Town

#1006 User is offline big smile 

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:35 PM

View PostJason, on 12 August 2018 - 11:25 AM, said:

Mighty and Ray came after the fact. Encore Mode has a few places here and there that make them unique, but I agree not adding any to Mania mode makes them feel lesser. If they were planned from the start, I'd imagine they'd get more bona fide routes. At least to the extent Tails gets.

I'm just not sure a (2D) Sonic game would have the budget for 4+ characters to be have the level designed with individual routes to the same extent as Tails and Knuckles. If it does, then more characters would rock!

#1007 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 12 August 2018 - 02:37 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View Postbig smile, on 12 August 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

I don't think any Sonic game would have the budget to make level routes for 4+ characters, so it's better if they focus on the core 3.

...Plus Amy, maybe? I bet she could easily break all those Mighty-exclusive smashable things with her hammer moves. :v:

#1008 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 12 August 2018 - 02:44 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash

View Postbig smile, on 12 August 2018 - 01:35 PM, said:

View PostJason, on 12 August 2018 - 11:25 AM, said:

Mighty and Ray came after the fact. Encore Mode has a few places here and there that make them unique, but I agree not adding any to Mania mode makes them feel lesser. If they were planned from the start, I'd imagine they'd get more bona fide routes. At least to the extent Tails gets.

I'm just not sure a (2D) Sonic game would have the budget for 4+ characters to be have the level designed with individual routes to the same extent as Tails and Knuckles. If it does, then more characters would rock!

It's not even like (2D) Sonic games even need to accommodate for that many playable characters in one game in the first place. Rotating around the cast of playable characters is also an entirely viable option. Knuckles due to his ME guardian duties is arguably the most expendable cast member you can put on the shelf for a game or two. Tails is arguably the one cast member who's a permanent slot on the roster but even that can be ignored in favor of someone else for another game or two.

It would be even somewhat intriguing to see them tackle another classic Sonic game focused solely on Sonic; although I'm pretty sure the recent spate of Sola Sonica games has probably soured a lot of people on the idea. Especially with Sonic Team in Forces wasting a playable character slot / playstyle on a second Sonic, in a game premise/story that would had made having any other character in the cast to be brought in make complete sense.
This post has been edited by Yeow: 12 August 2018 - 02:50 PM

#1009 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:36 PM

View PostYeow, on 12 August 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

It's not even like (2D) Sonic games even need to accommodate for that many playable characters in one game in the first place. Rotating around the cast of playable characters is also an entirely viable option. Knuckles due to his ME guardian duties is arguably the most expendable cast member you can put on the shelf for a game or two. Tails is arguably the one cast member who's a permanent slot on the roster but even that can be ignored in favor of someone else for another game or two.

I'm all for varying the playable characters from game to game, to keep things fresh and interesting. A Sonic Mania sequel could have a playable cast of Sonic, Amy, Vector and Charmy, for example. I'd be fine with them adding a new girl character to the Classic Sonic cast too.

#1010 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:19 AM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
I'm perfectly fine with all 5 returning. True, Mania wasn't built for Mighty and Ray so you get more of a Knuckles in Sonic 2 or a Tails in Sonic CD vibe, but even a couple more paths or secrets or shortcuts even and Mighty would be good to go. Also Ray doesn't need his own paths. He's basically Tails but with greater risk/reward. Besides it's not like Knuckles had a ton of paths in this game either (MSZ 1 Mania mode aside).

At least IMO it's nice seeing a classic game with more characters outside of just the original 3. Its because they're so rarely seen that they're fun. In Encore mode I make a point to basically ignore Tails and I almost always want Mighty involved.

Speaking of Tails, idk why but I've just grown tired of him. Maybe the modern games interpretation of him started to piss me off but eh, if anyone has to take a break make it him.

Give me a reimagined classic version of SegaSonic Arcade with its level themes but completely redesigned levels :v:
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 13 August 2018 - 06:22 AM

#1011 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:05 AM

• Wiki edits:18
Kind of relevant: The guy who cracked the Denuvo crap out of Sonic Mania has been arrested.

#1012 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:53 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash
Mania Plus didn't make it in top 10 best-selling games in Spain (all-formats) charts for the last month. But Mania did sell well enough to appear in the top 10 charts for all three platforms in the region for that month--debuting at #8 on Xbox One, and #9 on both PS4 and Switch.

Also late news, but on a similar note, Mania Plus debuted at #13th best-selling game in the UK (all formats) last month as well.
This post has been edited by Yeow: 20 August 2018 - 12:55 PM

#1013 User is offline Jason 

Posted 20 August 2018 - 01:23 PM

• *Results not lab tested.
The UK charts are physical only, so DLC or new digital purchase not even included, a year old game cracking the Top 20 is great.

That orange marsupial is killing it across the pond. I didn't think he had that kind of staying power, but I guess mid-90s are en vogue, and he dominated that time in terms of mascot platformers.

• 68 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users