Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: "Hardcore" Unreleased Mega-Drive Game coming to PS4 & Vita - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

"Hardcore" Unreleased Mega-Drive Game coming to PS4 & Vita Releasing 2019

#1 User is offline OcelotBot 

Posted 17 August 2018 - 04:20 PM

• Scooty-Puff Jr sucks!
Hardcore was originally developed by DICE for the Mega-Drive, Mega CD & Amiga back in 1994, however was never released.

Well, DICE have decided to finish the project using Mega-Drive hardware, which they're then going to port to PS4 & PSvita:

http://www.playstati...-2019/#/slide/1

A long lost DICE relic called HardCore has reappeared, and it is coming to the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita in 2019.

Back in 1994, a developer named Digital Illusions created a game for publisher Psygnosis called HardCore. Of course, now Digital Illusions is DICE, a studio famous for EA‘s Battlefield series. Hardcore was a European-style Metroidvania game well before the genre was coined of course), planned to release for the Sega Genesis, the Sega CD, and the Amiga.

Plans fell through due to looming console upgrades, and HardCore was canceled. Now it's back, and German publisher Strictly Limited Games is releasing it in 2019 for the PlayStation 4 and the Vita.

HardCore, known now by its new working title, Project HardCore, was thought to be lost. DICE itself no longer had any documentation or data left for the canceled side-scrolling shooter. Thanks to some outside assistance, Strictly Limited was able to obtain a copy of the original build, and a team comprised of people who originally worked on the game back in the 90s are working to restore the build and make it playable on today's hardware.

There's a bit of info regarding the original cancellation on SEGA Retro

An unreleased game finally getting finished and released 25 years later sounds really cool!
This post has been edited by OcelotBot: 18 August 2018 - 11:36 AM

#2 User is offline 360 

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:25 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Well this is fucking cool and beyond awesome - and kudos on DICE for being quite the legendary developers with this. It's really cool seeing them care about their legacy so much that they do something as cool as this. Story makes complete sense too as the Megadrive was fading away at the time this would have released so the cancellation is understandable.

And yet decades later it rises like a phoenix. Thanks for the heads up dude!
This post has been edited by 360: 17 August 2018 - 06:26 PM

#3 User is offline Krigo 

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:39 PM

• Wiki edits:30
This is really cool.

I'll definitely pick this up. Very happy to see DICE working with the publisher on this.

#4 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:59 PM

• Wiki edits:18
That looks very cool. I hope that they include some kind of composite video simulation, the dithered graphic style in the cutscene(s?) would greatly benefit from it.

#5 User is offline grap3fruitman 

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:22 PM

• Wiki edits:5
Can you play it in any Genesis emulator if you extract the rom? I'm not asking for piracy reasons just more curious about the technical side of this. In fact, what are the odds of a limited run cartridge print? That would be nuts. The wiki page claims the game was 99% complete. Do you think they just fixed whatever bugs they found in assembly and threw an emulator ontop? I doubt they'd recode the entire game and then leave it in letterboxed 4:3. That's what got me thinking, the lack of widescreen makes it seem like it's just a rom. This is a weird but awesome development. Are there any other games that have gone through this kind of limbo? I had never heard of this before. I'm shocked something could be so complete and be thrown away.
This post has been edited by grap3fruitman: 18 August 2018 - 03:40 PM

#6 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 19 August 2018 - 10:05 PM

• Dem Melons
  • Project:SMSRPG
  • Wiki edits:10
Would love a cartridge release!

#7 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:14 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View Postgrap3fruitman, on 17 August 2018 - 11:22 PM, said:

Are there any other games that have gone through this kind of limbo? I had never heard of this before. I'm shocked something could be so complete and be thrown away.

If it counts, there's the "Director's Cut" of Super Turrican which was recently released alongside the Super NT.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 21 August 2018 - 01:15 PM

#8 User is offline Tets 

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:46 PM

• one rude dude
Surely StarFox 2 counts as well. It was close to complete before focus shifted to the hot new N64, similarly fallen victim to its host console's end of life. Then it found a proper commercial release on the SNES Classic last year. Pretty good game to be sure, but I don't blame Nintendo for focusing on StarFox 64 - it's a timeless classic now, and the SNES sequel would certainly have felt dated even in its own time.

I'm definitely interested in trying to extract a ROM from this and run it on my Everdrive, it looks fucking dope! Those graphics really take me back to my DOS gaming days, the tiles have a real Alien Carnage look to them.

#9 User is offline Ritz 

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:09 PM

• Subhedgehog
  • Wiki edits:2
I don't think I realized DICE was founded by The Silents alumns. One hell of a supergroup between them and Zyrinx spinning off into IO Interactive. I really, really hope Matt Furniss did the soundtrack, but I'll take Jesper Kyd. ResQ needs a release like this too, while we're at it.

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users