don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Guys, I know both threads have the same name, but please try to keep fangames in the fangame thread, and hacks in the hack thread. This is the third time I've had to move posts from these threads in as many days.

2. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I've been experimenting with the S3 disassembly a bit, it's still early stages so far but I've at least made some progress. I'll leave you with this very subtle teaser:

[​IMG]

3. pablodrago

pablodrago

BS AS
    hello there Retro, I want to show something that really bother me, because is about one of my favorite characters, Metalsonic. As many of you know, in Sonic Adventure Metalsonic Does a few cameos like in amy flashback and the CryoTube, but in SADX is a unlockable character (just a sonic skin). I really want to know why in the remake of the game they didn't use the CryoTube model instead of the actual SADX model, you can compare yourself. Enjoy
    [​IMG]

also a Video, and a random boss fight at the end:

4. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    My guess is that its because the model on the Right is a model closer to the geometries Sonic's SADX model, making it easier to use as a 'skin'.

Also, wouldn't this go in The Supreme Topic of Other Knowledge?

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXe6RBYPA6I[/youtube]

6. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    [​IMG]

I wish I could have gotten a better screenshot.

7. These four backgrounds shown below were made for the first zone of an upcoming hack that DeoxysKyogre and I have started. Honestly speaking, some of the graphics used were rips from other Sonic games, but I altered their palettes.

The first BG (for Act 1) is original, except for the bushes that are from SYZ. This BG has a GHZ-like touch to it—especially with the loop you see in the horizon.

The second BG (for Act 2) has a nice sunset touch to it, and the mountains shown are from Sonic CD's title screen, if you happen to ask. The rocks in the lower area of the BG are from S3K's Icecap Zone.

The third BG (for Act 3) has a nightlife touch to it that fits well with the mountains, unless you say otherwise.

The last BG (for the boss act) uses the same mountain used in Act 2 and it uses the clouds and water ripped from Sonic Advance 1.

[​IMG]

I am open to any suggestions/feedback. In case you ask for the name of the zone, the zone's name is Splash Island. The BGs are not 100% final unless I receive some feedback and make necessary adjustments. Being an artist myself, it is quite practical that I show off these pieces of eye-candy art.

8. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    It's going to be hard to get those to not look repetitive.
    Also Dude, what is that?

9. Metal Knuckles

Metal Knuckles

HAVE SOME FUN WITH MIKU Member
    New Hampshire, USA
    Shadow Alpha, an awesome hack of Sonic 1
    It appears to be classic Sonic in a current Sonic level.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Nope, it seems to be an attempt at Sonic Adventure-fying Sonic's running pose.

11. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    The backgrounds look really good Neo, but it'd probably help if we saw them with the level tiles.

12. That will come real soon.

13. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    EDIT: I've built onto this early WIP a little more. See below

So, I'm working on a new hex editing tool coded by GML. This editor is to be called the Trilogy Editor (Name tying into my fangame project, for reasons explained below. Also due to the fact that it's meant to edit files from the disassemblies of the original trilogy)
    Here is a link to my photobucket album to see screencaps, to save space. You can also find other pics I have uploaded here on Retro.

This is a very early WIP, consisting of only about 2 days work, of what will be the palette editor. It simply allows you to click on the grid of palette colors and view/edit them. It doesn't include the alpha blend feature for alt. palletes a la SonEd2, though I would like it to in the future. If you look at the pics, you'll notice that some have the palette section in white, others in yellow. This is because when you move the mouse over certain areas, those areas will light up from white to yellow. You may also notice that the editor interface is very similar in appearance to the Menus in Sonic 2. This was NO coincidence. I love those... The entire program's appearance will follow this scheme.

The controls are mouse based. As seen in the pics, left clicking palette boxes will give you a text box telling what the color is (in the form of the hex code.) Right clicking will allow you to define the color code yourself, by entering in the proper hex code (In 0, B, G, R format). You can then see the result, as that very box is now given the proper color.
    -I apologize for these two images. When using the message box, you cannot take screencaps, and I just didn't think to crop these images down.-
    This method has since been eliminated, going more in the direction of SonEd2. In the current build, moving the mouse over one of these boxes will outline it in white. Clicking it will select it, and it will be outlined in yellow. You can then click the RGB hex values that appear below the palette lines to edit the color, or press the R G or B keys to do the same. (to allow for even quicker editing.) However, in order to edit RGBs via keys, the mouse must be within the palette editor boundaries. (This is not yet seen in screenshots, but will be soon... BTW this eliminates all problems with the awful textboxes).

Take a quick peek at the screencaps to see a glimpse of the early build, but bear in mind that the program has been updated, and the control scheme is much different than it was at the time of the screengrabs being taken. More updates and newer screengrabs will be posted in due time. The final edit, before I release the first build of this, will be the ability to save and load the palette lines from a .bin file from one of your disassemblies.

As for how it ties into my fangame... If I can get good enough at loading/saving this type of external data from ROMS, I might modify my game to use the files from the game itself (Or a copy of those files stored into the game that it can read from.) Doing that would vastly increase the potential for customization of my fangame, as I would hope that hackers could hack my game, just as they hack ROMS... That would be something else... :D Anyway, I'll have a release up sometime when this early palette editor is done... so stay tuned.

14. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Great job, the album is private. :P

15. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Fail on my part... Fixing that momentarily... The album should now be public. :D

Just an update on this. There is one more thing to be done, and the first release (which will only be a palette editor) will be available to check out.

All that is left is to give my program the functionality of loading the hex codes from the .bin files on its own (instead of me hand-feeding hex codes to it internally), and the ability to save them as well... everything else is perfectly operational and working 100% as far as palette editing goes. Hex gets read and converted to colors correctly, everything displays perfectly as it should. Now for the hard part.

Anyone experienced with GML, if you know how to work with .bin files and GML, I'd love a quick bit of help... Wasn't so hard... [​IMG]

I can't wait to show this off to you guys. I know that everyone and their mother has made a palette editor... Nothing special, but this is the first part of what I'm hoping could be another hacking tool out there for people to use, one that possibly could exceed others in some ways (especially SonMapEd)... I hope to have your support! (That, and as I noted earlier, if I can, I want to have in-game functionality with my game for this thing as well.)

16. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    You've seen the exaggerated cutscenes of Sonic ERaZor before, but have you seen then in a movie feeling? Introducing the Cinema Vision (or, as my crazy friends call it, the Crack and Bitches Vision):

[​IMG]

17. dsrb

dsrb

Is that an APNG? I suppose I should upgrade my version of Firefox, assuming that's about the only browser that supports them, but meh…so lazy.

18. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Using Opera here which definitely supports APNG and it isn't animated at all.

I think he meant now it looks like a movie...

19. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Yeah. I always thought it'd be neat to make a cutscene feel like it really is a non-interactive sequence (pointless, but neat nonetheless).

If your reasoning for thinking this was an APNG was that it has a white border, don't worry, I just did that to make the black boxes actually visible on Retro's Rusted Copper skin.

20. dsrb

dsrb

What happened was I thought maybe it was animated to have film perforations on the black strips, like Viewtiful Joe. I didn't really think about the white border! I see what you mean, though—and you're right: why not do it? :D