don't click here

Vector In Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by E-122-Psi, Dec 24, 2010.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Wanted something uploaded for Xmas, so here is an early revision of Vector the Crocodile in Sonic 1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Download:

http://info.sonicretro.org/images/f/fb/S1Vector_Rev1.2.zip

Earlier Revisions:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/iy0rp7

Movelist:

Down + Jump: Spin Dash
    D Pad + Jump (mid-air): Air Dash

To Do List:

* Climb isn't added yet (will have to gain a fair amount more experience to implement that).
    * A few odd pallette problems obviously.

Ringless Knuckles Chaotix sprites made by Julio Yuski Rlan.

2. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Interesting hack, hopefully you get his Chaotix moves in.

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I've got in his dash attacks, though only four directions (I tried adding diagonal moves but the coding seems to get mixed around, eg. making a down/left move makes you move up/left instead). There's also climbing, but I have no idea how to implement that yet (I suppose I'd have to look into Knuckles' coding).

4. This is the greatest hack ever, downloading right now, I can't wait to see more from this project!

5. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Check out Hyper Sonic's jumpdash move in S3K, should be easy enough to port. Unless the aim is to make the code all on your own.

6. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Ritz is probably having a party right now.

Anyways, I'm soooo downloading this.

7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    It's interesting playing as Vector in a way, the fact that the acceleration is higher and the top speed is lower than in Chaotix really throws it off for me a bit, I need to get used to that.

Though I'm glad you got the waiting animation in, that was always cool.

EDIT:

[​IMG]

That, is cool...

8. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    *picture removed*

Every time some dope started a "What kind of hack should I make" thread, this is invariably what I've asked for. Truly a Christmas miracle. Do Sonic 2 next, I actually like that one!

9. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Hey, give him time to fix those issues he mentioned first!

Meanwhile I'll download it now...

10. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    as always another great work from Psi <33 I wonder how did you find all the vram to fit vector in D:

11. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Thanx for the comments fellas.

I'll try working on the moveset for the next revision, I hope to at least get diag dash working.

Hmm, if I get that working I might actually have the majority of coding to place Charmy into Sonic 1 as well (par the lower gravity physics however, whether this is as easy as slowing his falling speed I dunno).

Whoops, well I'll edit the stats a little next rev, it's hard to quite calculate the stats of the players in Chaotix solo due to the ring co-op physics.

Heh, good. I worked hard on that one.

It's a mystery to me as well (though Markey and Fragag and several other ASM wizs helped me with VRAM locations to make room for other objects in previous projects that were useful for this). Truthfully he seems to take up less room than Amy, due to, despite the larger sprites, there is a much smaller number of them.

12. I remember trying this years ago :P

Well done, I can't wait to try it!

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I've yet to give this a complete playthrough, so far I played only Final Zone to retrieve a cleaner screenshot for the wiki :v:

Still, in that one zone, I found one of the palette bugs you mentioned:
    [​IMG]

Speaking of wiki, here it is: Vector the Crocodile in Sonic the Hedgehog. It's a stub as my usual, my main concern is to upload optimised screenshots and zip files, then someone else can take care of the English :v:

14. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    I wanted to do a video playthrough of Sonic 1 for my PEMNAS series, but I hated the idea of posting stuff that didn't feature anything that would totally stand out in my videos.

[​IMG]

I now have something. :specialed: When can we expect the next revision, E-122-Psi?

15. Chuck D Head

Chuck D Head

The Dead Zone
    Semi-Super Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    I played until MZ act 2 and I had a lot of fun with it. I had an idea while I was playing it, perhaps if you can't get the diagonal dashes working you could have it so you could dash twice in the air, but only once horizontally and once vertically. It would be slightly out of line with his Chaotix move set, but it would be a cool feature none the less.

16. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    [​IMG]

And good times were had by all.

17. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Glad I could find something new for you. :D

I hope to find a way to get the diag dash working, as well as a few fixes (the good ending sprites got f***ed up for some reason). I'll also hopefully get a customized title screen working like I did for Sally and Amy. This may take anywhere between a couple weeks or a couple months (especially being Christmas) though if too many problems occur with one point I'll upload what I have at a more frequent pace.

Whoa, thanx for the page update. :D

Probably just as well, I keep screwing up uploading onto the wiki.

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    This picture needs to spread.

19. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Leave it to me.

<a href="http://twitter.com/#!/OKeijiDragon/status/18505565395226625" target="_blank">I'll help spread it too</a>.

20. bolt7

bolt7

A certain Vector-loving friend of mine very much appreciates this hack, so you have his thanks and mine!

I wonder if it's possible to totally port the Chaotix mechanics over to the older games... I can imagine it'd probably be a programming ball ache though. Maybe it'd make more sense to port the levels over from MD Sonic titles to Chaotix. Maybe these are silly ideas all together. :v: