Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Generations Megathread II - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Sonic Generations Megathread II WORD ON THE STREET: IT CAN'T BE BEAT

#2836 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

• Classier than you'll ever be.
  • Project:オノマトペ大臣
  • Wiki edits:381

View PostToasty, on 03 March 2012 - 02:47 AM, said:

No idea but is the 3DS version anything like the PS3 game? Is it like, awesome too? I only have the PS3 version, is the game pretty much the same?

EDIT: If anyone wants to add me and compare trophies and stuff, my name is chocobokrisp2007. Not really sure if there's an online co-op mode? I just started, so my trophy collection isn't amazing :P

Think Genesis Sonic (quite literally at first) for Classic Sonic and Sonic Rush for Modern Sonic and... that's the 3DS version.

#2837 User is offline Josh 

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

• YRG Warrior
  • Wiki edits:1
Eh, I wouldn't say it's THAT simple a distinction. I've played a ton of Generations 3DS lately, and a few days ago I tried to play Rush and completely screwed up, haha.

Classic Sonic really does play just like the Genesis games at first, but after you get past that era, he automatically gets the homing attack. That's not terrible or anything, but it's not preferable to me, either.

Modern Sonic plays a whooole lot like he does in the 2D sections of Generations. You get boost from rings and enemies, not by doing tricks like in Rush. The boost jump is crazy-powerful, and gets you to a lot of shortcuts.

The game has some kind of questionable level-design choices in its later stages; while it's never bad, in general it's nowhere near as polished as its HD counterpart. But I've had a LOT of fun with it, as once you understand the level design, these stages still offer tons of replayability and are fun to speed run.

One thing I really like about it is how, in the Act 1s of modern levels, Generations 3DS has little shout-outs to the originals. For example, in Emerald Coast there's a sequence of springs near the beginning that echo the first set of over-the-water springs in Sonic Adventure. Little things like that.

Plus the game just looks freakin' beautiful, of course.

If you didn't know, Toasty, the Act 1s of the three Genesis-era stages are LITERALLY the Act 1s from the original games with a graphical overhaul. And Water Palace Act 2 is very, very heavily-derived from Sonic Rush's version of the same.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend it to a Sonic fan.

#2838 User is offline Sonic Warrior TJ 

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

• BOOM SHAKALAKA
  • Wiki edits:21
I agree, Generations 3DS may not be as dazzling as its HD counterpart, but come on, it's a handheld game, and it's pretty good at being one of those. Make sure you keep raking in 3DS Play Coins though, because you've got 100 extra missions to unlock through normal play and coins if you're to get everything in the extras menu.

#2839 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
Since were on the topic of the 3DS version, have any 3DS rom extraction tools been created yet? I'd really want to get that concept art extracted I can't seem to find it anywhere else that isn't a blurry camera pic. Of course I haven't checked into that process since november of last year so maybe there already extracted.

#2840 User is offline Commando Beta 

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

There could also be other music goodies on the 3DS version that weren't in the HD version and not on the Soundtrack either. Also, it'd be great to mod the 3DS version.

Alas, I'm afraid there's no way (yet) to extract anything useful from the 3DS version.

#2841 User is offline SteelBrush 

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

• 603e
  • Project:Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.

View PostToasty, on 03 March 2012 - 02:00 AM, said:

I've almost completed Green Hill Zone completely, all I have left now is finding 5 more red rings in 2D mode. After going 3D I don't wanna go back, it's so much fun. Should I be brave and try the really shitty games like Sonic 2006 and Sonic Riders?

I love this game!

I don't know about Sonic 06, but you should give Riders a go. I think it's a fun racer that would have been better received if it didn't contain Sonic characters. If you choose to unlock everything there is plenty of content there. There is an initial steep learning curve, you must complete story mode once and the voice acting is terrible but those are the only things I can say against it.

EDIT: missed a word out.
This post has been edited by SteelBrush: 03 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

#2842 User is offline ancara 

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

I've been wondering about something: If they inevitably (if ever) do DLC, I would assume they'd go big a year after the release of the game with a new "era" for us to derp about in. Basically, three new stages, a rival and a boss. and new missions to beat/fail at.

If my memory serves me right (and by god I would lol if it ever went against me), there's about 3-4 tunes and 6 or so-ish art pieces per lolmissions section for each stage, and about 1-2 extra tunes and 8 or so-ish art pieces per main stage shenanigans. Basically, about 9-12 tunes I'd wager would make it in, likely 3/4 from each game represented, and the rest from other games.

Anyways, methinks the only questions to ask are this: If they do this kind of DLC, what games would be represented, and what zone from each rep'd game would make the cut? I would assume there'd be one new game from each era (classic, dreamcast and modern), so there's that. There's also the matter of both the rival and the boss for the thing.

So many questions, but methinks there's an answer to it. So then, what do you guys think they'd choose, if they did so?

#2843 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

• DYNAMIC SONIC! EXCITING SONIC! STYLISH SONIC! UNBELIEVABLE!
  • Project:Making the world know that Lost World 3DS is terrible
  • Wiki edits:10
If they do another era, a neglected era if you will, I imagine they'll take levels from Sonic 3 (Classic), Shadow the Hedgehog (Dreamcast), and Sonic and the Secret Rings (Modern). If they picked a new boss I expect they would take something from the classic era since classic Sonic doesn't have as many bosses or rivals as modern Sonic, which would lead me to suspect they would take classic Knuckles as a rival and some other boss (Death Egg Robot S3K?). As for levels here's what I'd want

Sonic 3 - Ice Cap or Carnival Night
Shadow - Mad Gear or Ark
Sonic and the Secret Ring - Sand Oasis or Night Palace.

Basically, take tropes that haven't been used (With the exception of the Ark level. While it was used for the Rival battle, it's still not a level).

Alternately they could go the lazy route and reuse art assets they already have which would probably lead to

Sonic CD - Stardust Speedway
Sonic Adventure 2 - Final Rush
Sonic Unleashed - Eggmanland

Which I wouldn't totally object to either.

#2844 User is offline Josh 

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

• YRG Warrior
DLC would ideally add one new stage per era. Assuming that, here's what I'd like to see:

GENESIS -
Gah, so many options! Can they just remake all the levels? :P

Ice Cap is the most obvious and I think it'd be really well-received. Generations was missing a snow level.

If not that, I'd also like to see Carnival Night (if the 3DS is any indication, it would look absolutely beautiful with all those colors against a black backdrop).

Dark horse pick here? Hill Top Zone. They already have the swings, and I think outrunning the lava in Act 2 could be really showy and fun.

Lava Reef would be really cool, maybe featuring some elements of Mystic Cave, as Generations is wont to do.

DREAMCAST -
Ice Cap again? Haha, but seriously...

I'd honestly have to go with Red Mountain as my #1 pick for this. Again, we could do that outrun-the-lava thing, and the musical remixes alone would be worth it.

Otherwise, I'd go with something like Final Rush, Crazy Gadget, or Final Egg - another trope Generations missed was an Eggman factory/base level. You could do that, and mix in elements of Scrap Brain and Death Egg.

MODERN -
Kingdom Valley, full stop. Running through that water vortex in a WONDERFUL game as opposed to a terrible one would be awesome.

Dragon Road was my favorite level in Unleashed, and it would be really cool, too.

From Colors, Starlight Carnival would be visually stunning.

So!
GENESIS - Ice Cap
DREAMCAST - Red Mountain
MODERN - Kingdom Valley

Or!
GENESIS - Carnival Night
DREAMCAST - Final Egg
MODERN - Dragon Road

#2845 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

• DYNAMIC SONIC! EXCITING SONIC! STYLISH SONIC! UNBELIEVABLE!
  • Project:Making the world know that Lost World 3DS is terrible
  • Wiki edits:10
As far as DLC is concerned, I'm open for pretty much any idea they got. However, I do NOT want to see another city or hill level. 4 levels involve cities and 3 levels involve grass hill type levels. Go find another trope.

I feel like Mystic Cave zone would also make an awesome level. Actually ideally, they'd only chose levels from the classic era to remake. The modern era is too close in recent memory and the adventure era is highly forgettable, plus the only game to fit that era that they haven't used would be Shadow the Hedgehog. Ideally I would like to see Mystic Cave Zone, Carnival Night zone, and Quartz Quadrant. I don't like any of the environments from Sonic 1 beyond GHZ, so I say go for Sonic 2, 3, and CD.

Actually, the only modern game that I feel would be good enough to see get another level is Sonic Colors due to it's classic like environments. I'd like to see Aquarium Park
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 04 March 2012 - 12:12 AM

#2846 User is offline Skyler 

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:48 AM

• Wiki edits:136

View PostDark Sonic, on 03 March 2012 - 10:40 PM, said:

Shadow - Mad Gear or Ark

I think you mean Mad Matrix. :v: Even though, I'd prefer Digital Circuit. Otherwise, I pretty much agree with you. Though, I wouldn't mind if Sonic 3D got some love. Rusty Ruin or Panic Puppet, pleeeaaase.

#2847 User is offline W.A.C. 

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:29 AM

• I abuse text smilies way too much.
  • Project:Art Assets for a Game Project
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostSkyler, on 04 March 2012 - 02:48 AM, said:

Though, I wouldn't mind if Sonic 3D got some love. Rusty Ruin or Panic Puppet, pleeeaaase.

This, fucking this. Oh my god, I would have loved to see either of these levels get remade in Generations, especially Panic Puppet so I could hear a remix of that stage's music. That would be so damn epic.

#2848 User is offline JohnBoyAdvance 

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:22 AM

What I wouldn't mind seeing for is either a 2nd Classic Era or A Handheld Era. (Or anything really, but perfect world circumstances)
2nd Classic Era
Sonic 3 - Hydrocity or Ice Cap
Sonic CD - Quartz Quadrant or Stardust Speedway
Sonic and Knuckles - Sandopolis or Lava Reef
Rival Boss - S3&K - Classic Knuckles
Boss - S3&K - Lava Reef Finale

Handheld Era
Sonic Advance 3 - Chaos Angel
Sonic Rush - Night Carnival or Altitude Limit
Sonic Rush Adventure - Haunted Ship or Blizzard Peaks
Rival Boss - Sonic Rush - Blaze
Boss - Sonic Triple Trouble - Sunset Park Boss

#2849 User is offline Puto 

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:37 AM

• Shin'ichi Kudō, detective.
  • Project:Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
  • Wiki edits:51

View PostW.A.C., on 04 March 2012 - 04:29 AM, said:

Though, I wouldn't mind if Sonic 3D got some love. Rusty Ruin or Panic Puppet, pleeeaaase.

This, fucking this. Oh my god, I would have loved to see either of these levels get remade in Generations, especially Panic Puppet so I could hear a remix of that stage's music. That would be so damn epic.

Except... which soundtrack for S3D would they go with?

#2850 User is offline Skyler 

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

• Wiki edits:136

View PostPuto, on 04 March 2012 - 06:37 AM, said:

View PostW.A.C., on 04 March 2012 - 04:29 AM, said:

Except... which soundtrack for S3D would they go with?

Act 1 can be Genesis, Act 2 can be Saturn. :v:

• 225 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users