Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog movie - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 86 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog movie It looks fucking awful

#1051 User is offline Prototype 

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:14 AM

So wait a minute. We know the town is called Green Hills, right? It's not... set in Nebraska is it? Because holy fuck, imagine if it turned out that they adapted the old drafts of the Sonic Bible. Will Sonny the Hedgehog have to save his five sisters from Kintobor?

#1052 User is offline Hitlersaurus Christ 

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:30 AM

• Not actually a nazi, possibly the messiah, definitely a dinosaur
  • Project:SNOIC GENERATONS PLUS
Yup, it's Green Hills, NE. This movie is clearly not taking itself seriously, including ridiculous stuff like hills in Nebraska, the Flat State.
This post has been edited by Hitlersaurus Christ: 16 January 2019 - 11:30 AM

#1053 User is offline Sonikku2k 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:30 AM

So how is everyone feeling about this movie (now that we are faced with it really happening)?
I am going to be very honest here. I was shocked when I saw that teaser, I was on Discord and Telegram (in groups) when it was made known.
People in groups and in the Discord, basically went crazy, in a non-positive way.

I was, cautiously optimistic, but my optimism is now gone, they're going to ruin the franchise, and I am feeling very sad about that, and how SEGA/SONIC TEAM could allow this to happen.

#1054 User is offline SuperSnoopy 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:43 AM

• I prefer Sonic Advance to Sonic 2
  • Project:Learning how to fucking draw

View PostSonikku2k, on 17 January 2019 - 05:30 AM, said:

So how is everyone feeling about this movie (now that we are faced with it really happening)?
I am going to be very honest here. I was shocked when I saw that teaser, I was on Discord and Telegram (in groups) when it was made known.
People in groups and in the Discord, basically went crazy, in a non-positive way.

I was, cautiously optimistic, but my optimism is now gone, they're going to ruin the franchise, and I am feeling very sad about that, and how SEGA/SONIC TEAM could allow this to happen.

Ruin the franchise ? We talked about this earlier; if Sonic survived shadow the hedgehog with guns and sonic 06 with bestiality, I'm pretty sure a shitty live action movie isn't gonna do him too much harm.

#1055 User is offline Sonikku2k 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:56 AM

Well, ruined for me at least, and several of us old folks who were kids back when Sonic Adventure was cool.
Sonic '06 is a game I avoided like the plague... saw the negative reviews and skipped right over it.

#1056 User is offline Hitlersaurus Christ 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:44 AM

I think most of us braced for this the moment a live action movie was announced. Personally I'm numb to shitty Sonic things by now. Hell, there's been horrid stuff since the classic days. Remember Sonic Underground? The furry drama era of the comics? Sure this is on a bigger level but I don't think it will (or even can) damage the franchise as badly as Shadow and 2006 did.

#1057 User is offline Sonikku2k 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:01 AM

View PostHitlersaurus Christ, on 17 January 2019 - 06:44 AM, said:

I think most of us braced for this the moment a live action movie was announced. Personally I'm numb to shitty Sonic things by now. Hell, there's been horrid stuff since the classic days. Remember Sonic Underground? The furry drama era of the comics? Sure this is on a bigger level but I don't think it will (or even can) damage the franchise as badly as Shadow and 2006 did.

You make a very valid point, and also a nice perspective. Thanks

#1058 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:59 AM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN

I don't think it will (or even can) damage the franchise as badly as Shadow and 2006 did.

See, I kinda disagree. The reputation of something like Sonic 06 still requires a bit of interest in videogames to see, such as reading an online review or magazine.
Your average non-gamer would just see "Oh, that's that Sonic guy".

Meanwhile, this movie will be trying to mass-market itself to everyone it can. Parents will be forced to watch this with their kids and then tell their work friends how horrible it was. TV stations will probably trash it. Searching 'Sonic the Hedgehog' on Google images may bring up more Movie images than Game images like with Resident Evil for a while...

That's my take anyway and I hope I am wrong as heck.

Still seeing this movie Day 1 though, after a good round of Rum & Coke. This trainwreck is going to be the highlight of the year.

#1059 User is offline Sonikku2k 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:23 AM

Exactly what @Sir_mihael said. In the past, only gamers got to see the bad games. Now the ENTIRE POPULATIONS get to see the bad of Sonic. I am very concerned

#1060 User is offline Hitlersaurus Christ 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:32 AM

The way I see it, most of those people who aren't familiar with games wouldn't care about Sonic either way. Even if the movie was CG, kept the normal design, or even was decent, none of those parents dragged there by their kids would really have a different reaction. I'd compare it to a bad comic book movie. Shitty, but not franchise destroying.

#1061 User is offline The Growler 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:21 PM

View PostSir_mihael, on 17 January 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

I don't think it will (or even can) damage the franchise as badly as Shadow and 2006 did.

See, I kinda disagree. The reputation of something like Sonic 06 still requires a bit of interest in videogames to see, such as reading an online review or magazine.

Meanwhile, this movie will be trying to mass-market itself to everyone it can. Parents will be forced to watch this with their kids and then tell their work friends how horrible it was. TV stations will probably trash it. Searching 'Sonic the Hedgehog' on Google images may bring up more Movie images than Game images like with Resident Evil for a while...

Still seeing this movie Day 1 though, after a good round of Rum & Coke. This trainwreck is going to be the highlight of the year.
One thing still worth remembering...

Mario survived its own Mario movie disaster.
This post has been edited by The Growler: 17 January 2019 - 01:21 PM

#1062 User is offline Prototype 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:08 PM

Mario survived it's movie disaster, because it was still a media juggernaut backed up by some solidly crafted games, not to mention that it was released early on in the Mario lifespan. Sonic's been on shaky ground from the beginning, with some truly terrible games. There are some good games, sure, but historically and even to this day, SEGA regarded Sonic as less of a video game series and more of a great branding opportunity - with some utterly baffling instances of them whoring out the name. It hasn't got that solid consistent foundation that Mario does.

Combine that with the fact that we're in the social media age and Sonic fans can be notoriously...passionate about the series, I can't see the franchise as a whole shake off this CG monstrosity in the same way that Nintendo did with the Mario movie.

#1063 User is offline Tanks 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:26 PM

• Wiki edits:1

View PostThe Growler, on 17 January 2019 - 01:21 PM, said:

View PostSir_mihael, on 17 January 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

One thing still worth remembering...

Mario survived its own Mario movie disaster.

Name a legitimately bad Mario game.

But seriously, I tuned out of the movie hype lately and now I'm thinking there's some hope this will end up being leagues better than a Chipmunks reboot. That's not saying much, but it's gonna be worth it.

#1064 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:51 PM

• match up tails to the cards
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View PostTanks, on 17 January 2019 - 04:26 PM, said:

Name a legitimately bad Mario game.

Ooh ooh ooh

Mario is Missing
Mario's Time Machine

IIRC the IBM PC port of Donkey Kong is pretty hopeless, and I think there's at least one wonky conversion of (Punch Ball) Mario Bros. to one of the Japanese computers. If your body reacts badly to the Virtual Boy you could argue Mario Clash or Mario's Tennis have the ability to make you physically unwell - there are Sonic games that can give you headaches but I don't know of any that are renowned for motion sickness.

Some aren't necessarily "bad" but are symbols of Nintendo's contempt for its audience, e.g. later Mario Party games, Paper Mario post-Thousand Year Door, full price New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe. Re-releasing that original NES Mario Bros. rather than the later revision(s) that let you turn in mid-air.

Jury's out on Hotel Mario - I've never played it.

#1065 User is offline Zephyr 

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:25 PM

• Wiki edits:2

View PostPrototype, on 17 January 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

Mario survived it's movie disaster, because it was still a media juggernaut backed up by some solidly crafted games, not to mention that it was released early on in the Mario lifespan. Sonic's been on shaky ground from the beginning, with some truly terrible games. There are some good games, sure, but historically and even to this day, SEGA regarded Sonic as less of a video game series and more of a great branding opportunity - with some utterly baffling instances of them whoring out the name. It hasn't got that solid consistent foundation that Mario does.

Combine that with the fact that we're in the social media age and Sonic fans can be notoriously...passionate about the series, I can't see the franchise as a whole shake off this CG monstrosity in the same way that Nintendo did with the Mario movie.

I mean, what's seriously going to happen? People are going to regard Sonic as a laughing stock, still, again? I think that people are forgetting how recent Mania is, and how much of a routine punching bag Sonic has consistently been for God knows how long. Shadow and 06 have already been brought up. Unleashed was, as its biggest fans will never let you forget, excessively harshly received by the press, as if on principle alone. Sonic Boom was a disaster, and Forces is already famously remembered as being "aggressively mediocre".

It's not without its bright spots. Colors and Generations still get airplay as "the good ones from almost a decade ago", and Mania's been met with almost nothing but high praise. In the case of Mania, though, every review makes sure to beat it over your head that this game is a passion project largely created by the fans themselves. The Genesis and Adventure games, when not accused of "having always been bad", are still all too often looked at as rare moments of genius, rather than indicative of the brand's usual quality.

So when this film comes out, and it's garbage, and does poorly, the general public is very likely to say "oh, business as usual", and move on. Because the brand is, largely, a joke. It's been a joke for ages. The official Social Media accounts have been balls deep in self depreciating humor for nearly a decade at this point. Shit like Mania isn't going to go anywhere as a result of a bad Sonic movie being seen as bad by a population that probably tends to view Sonic things as bad anyway, outside of "those unspecified good ones from a long time ago and that new fangame". It's especially not going anywhere in an age where pop culture nostalgia is way more in than it ever needed to be.

Mario may have been "invincible" because of the media juggernaut he is, but Sonic is "invincible" because he's been practically canonized as the industry's village idiot. That carries its own flavor of unshakable clout. Like at worst he just won't get another stab at a movie for a couple of decades. So if that's what you were hoping for, then I guess you should be terrified.

• 86 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users