Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: All Programming Discussion - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 45 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

All Programming Discussion Graphics, Audio, Engine Design, etc.

#46 User is offline drx 

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:25 PM

  • <Shade> fuck MJ
  • Posts: 2170
  • Joined: 02-March 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Project::rolleyes:
  • Wiki edits:8
The thing is, when you have a HD 4x version, downscaling to 2x (maybe 3x, I'm not sure) should be piss easy.

#47 User is offline jman2050 

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:30 PM

  • Teh Sonik Haker
  • Posts: 633
  • Joined: 10-December 05
  • Wiki edits:4

View Postdrx, on Apr 26 2008, 04:25 PM, said:

The thing is, when you have a HD 4x version, downscaling to 2x (maybe 3x, I'm not sure) should be piss easy.


Yes, I mentioned this in IRC already. We can design for 4x just fine and downscale to 2x, that should be a trivial operation.

#48 User is offline SANiK 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:08 PM

  • Posts: 412
  • Joined: 21-September 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:6
From the looks of it - palettes == dead.

Most of the art being done uses a wide range of colors.

I vouch for the non-palette alternative

#49 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:21 PM

  • NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Posts: 4198
  • Joined: 06-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:9

View PostSANiK, on Apr 27 2008, 01:08 PM, said:

From the looks of it - palettes == dead.

Most of the art being done uses a wide range of colors.

I vouch for the non-palette alternative


The Graphics engine uses palettes. This is somthing I want to address - we WILL be using palettes, so we should start establishing palettes for each level/enemy set.

Don't worry, though, since the palette selection will be big. Maybe somthing like 256 colors x 10 palettes.

#50 User is offline SANiK 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:53 PM

  • Posts: 412
  • Joined: 21-September 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:6
Cooljerk/jman -

Would it be possible for you guys to quickly whip up a tile viewer?
e.g.,
1) Program offers a selection of all the levels at start - user clicks a level
2) A 4x .png file of the tileset is loaded for the corresponding level:
http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?act...ost&id=2253
3) The level tileset is loaded for the corresponding level
4) Artist can see the full effect of his/her changes on the tileset by seeing how the tiles they have made affect the level as a whole
This post has been edited by SANiK: 27 April 2008 - 04:55 PM

#51 User is offline Weird Person 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:32 PM

  • You lost two seconds reading this
  • Posts: 367
  • Joined: 12-March 05
  • Project:Who knows?
Just a suggestion: People that want to help with programming, but doesn't know the C/C++/Other language way of writing, could draw the algorithms for Physic, Screen deslocation after sonic reaches a certain speed, etc, in english, so the time of the real programmers would be saved...

I'm too lazy to take paint and draw the algorithm, so I just took a papel and a pencil and wrote everything in it... Here's the result

Posted Image

Bad idea? Good idea? I accept any kind of answer with no trouble.

#52 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:59 PM

  • roxoring your soxors
  • Posts: 3232
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:wouldn't you like to know
  • Project:Guitar Hero II: Rhythm Games Community Edition aka Pizza Hero II: Electric Pizza
  • Wiki edits:3
1/24th second is completely incorrect. The MD Sonic games run at 50/60fps (depending on region) outside of lag, and S2HD should also.

#53 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:03 PM

  • Fuck it
  • Posts: 7523
  • Joined: 03-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:91
But what is the story on flicker vs. transparency for things like the shield effects?

#54 User is offline Weird Person 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:06 PM

  • You lost two seconds reading this
  • Posts: 367
  • Joined: 12-March 05
  • Project:Who knows?

View PostLocalH, on Apr 27 2008, 02:59 PM, said:

1/24th second is completely incorrect. The MD Sonic games run at 50/60fps (depending on region) outside of lag, and S2HD should also.


I never said that MD worked at 24fps or 48fps. That piece of paper was just to illustrate how to fool the human mind using quick image changes.

#55 User is offline Flare 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:16 PM

  • Posts: 679
  • Joined: 26-December 04
  • Gender:Male
Anyone who has paused the game while Sonic has a barrier, knows this.
This post has been edited by Flare: 27 April 2008 - 06:16 PM

#56 User is offline DimensionWarped 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:20 PM

  • Erinaceous!
  • Posts: 2398
  • Joined: 05-April 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Huntsville, AL
  • Wiki edits:5
It's more than just semi-transparency. It also gives the shield its characteristic pulsing effect.
This post has been edited by DimensionWarped: 27 April 2008 - 06:21 PM

#57 User is offline LocalH 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:28 PM

  • roxoring your soxors
  • Posts: 3232
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:wouldn't you like to know
  • Project:Guitar Hero II: Rhythm Games Community Edition aka Pizza Hero II: Electric Pizza
  • Wiki edits:3

View PostWeird Person, on Apr 27 2008, 07:06 PM, said:

View PostLocalH, on Apr 27 2008, 02:59 PM, said:

1/24th second is completely incorrect. The MD Sonic games run at 50/60fps (depending on region) outside of lag, and S2HD should also.


I never said that MD worked at 24fps or 48fps. That piece of paper was just to illustrate how to fool the human mind using quick image changes.

My point was that you wrote that 48fps should be sufficient, and I was merely saying that was incorrect for original game accuracy.

#58 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:30 PM

  • Fuck it
  • Posts: 7523
  • Joined: 03-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:91
Eh, Tomeato, Tomato. At this point you're arguing semantics.

#59 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:18 PM

  • NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Posts: 4198
  • Joined: 06-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:9

View PostSANiK, on Apr 27 2008, 01:53 PM, said:

Cooljerk/jman -

Would it be possible for you guys to quickly whip up a tile viewer?
e.g.,
1) Program offers a selection of all the levels at start - user clicks a level
2) A 4x .png file of the tileset is loaded for the corresponding level:
http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?act...ost&id=2253
3) The level tileset is loaded for the corresponding level
4) Artist can see the full effect of his/her changes on the tileset by seeing how the tiles they have made affect the level as a whole


Mm, I have an image editor nearly complete - NMImage. It's been a work in progress for almost 2 years now.

Like I said before, it'll be another week and a half-ish before I rebegin work on all this, but a lot of what I'm talking about is already working.

I had a post on S2beta about my engine... lemmie see if I can dig it up...

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot this board became S2beta's board... tweaker, know if I can recover my post?
This post has been edited by Cooljerk: 27 April 2008 - 11:19 PM

#60 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:24 PM

  • Posts: 10818
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spain
  • Wiki edits:18
QUOTE (Weird Person @ Apr 27 2008, 05:32 PM) [post="191300"]Posted Image
Bad idea? Good idea? I accept any kind of answer with no trouble.[/quote]
Every other thing in the game uses vertical empty lines to do the semi-transparencies, so I guess they were just going for a different looking thing for the shield.

But either way, I'm sure many of us here can notice the difference between 50 and 60Hz... so we must be mutants or something.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 27 April 2008 - 11:24 PM

  • 45 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users