don't click here

Team Sonic Racing (Sumo Digital/May 21st 2019)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, May 25, 2018.

1. Frostav

Frostav

I know a guy who unironically has Silver (SILVER!) as his favorite character in the series. I have never met anyone who actually even merely LIKES Zavok, let alone put him in their top 10/5/whatever. That says something if I'm so deep into furry Sonic twitter that I know unironic Silver fans.

Anyway Hidden Volcano looks like it was supposed to be a Lava Reef track but then they realized LRZ is a Classic zone so they just...kinda altered it a little bit. Sigh. I just want to see Classic Sonic zones and aesthetics in 3D, and this game seems like it's actively avoiding that.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Silver has his fans surprisingly. I really don't think he's a bad character, he's just never been properly utilized gameplay wise. Either he's there in a party game spin off or it's 06 and Rivals, neither of which did a whole lot for the character. If Silver ever played like he did in the Generations Boss Fight I think he'd be a great character.

3. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    On that note—this is very much a nitpick, but I can't help but find it kind of dumb that ever since they brought back the concept of small animals for the newer games (whether as NPCs, in badniks/animal capsules, or otherwise) for the recent games, they've always used the Genesis designs. Even though the Adventure series had their own set of visibly distinct small animals. They really stick out like a sore thumb IMO when they are paired with the cast with their current designs because they clearly aren't using the same design principles (and it's not a deliberate design choice).

[​IMG]

It's a very obvious example of them being oddly (and superficially) selective of the stuff from the original games they want to use. Like the whole notion of reusing Green Hill everywhere nowadays (and making direct copies of its aesthetics in Splash Hill and Windy Hill), when before they had no problem with creating original locales.

4. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Really? I'm not keen on this one. It just sounds like they dug up a rejected SA2B 2-player track.

5. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Damn I love this track, I may not be too interested in the game but I sure as hell will buy the soundtrack.

6. Modern Sonic is the definition of inconsistency. It's been going through an identity crisis since at least Sonic Heroes. Plot holes, retcons, clashing character designs, it's all there. The only way for it to make sense again is through a reboot, which Unleashed (and especially Colors) seemed to be going for, until Generations screwed things up even further.

7. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    The screenshots of the lava track, the first thing that came to mind was "where are the shadows from the lava light source?"

I feel like this game is going to be a disspointment.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Me too, but not in a Modern Sonic game.
    Same as I wouldn't want Modern levels in Classic Sonic's, outside of the context of yet another anniversary game.

9. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Yeah, pretty much. I made a thread about the this awhile back.
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=38184

Perhaps this is exactly WHY they should go back to Adventure Sonic (aside so we can stop calling him "Modern Sonic" which is a stupid fucking name). If they limit the scope to Adventure, Adventure 2, Heroes, Shadow, the Advance series, and the Rush series, there is some semblance of an identity they can cobble together because the only thing post-Sonic Unleashed has been is one sad Meta joke. Not to derail the thread but what is Team Sonic Racing other than a generic kart racer with Sonic characters? What in this game other than Sonic & co, makes this a Sonic game? Okay, the awesome soundtrack, yes, but there needs to be more than that.

10. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Nice easy tune with a lack of refinement. I wonder which character type is best? :/ Still like it, but all this talk about Sonic's future is nerve-racking. Win over the crowds, everything else is gravy. What will the next game be about?

11. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    http://youtu.be/dNZhPfROwsg
    Looks like the video Arin and Jirard were involved with came out.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh boy, there he is, Mr. "I actively bash Sonic games on my channel all the time" Grump himself returning for yet another Sonic Social Media stunt.

Continuing with the "any exposure is good exposure" model I see huh Aaron?

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

What does this video actually have to do with TSR and why does it look like neither of the YouTube "celebrities" want to be there?

Christ this game is being sent out to die.

14. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I didn't actually realise this was a trailer for TSR so thanks for the update guys :v:

15. Linkabel

Linkabel

I think these kind of videos are harmless, but the reason why a lot of people always have a backlash to this kind of content is because the rest of the marketing is not doing the heavy lifting.

If you remember the same thing happened to the Sonic Forces video with The Completionist, Syndicate, and MatPat. The marketing campaign wasn't so hot for Forces and the game had already come out so a lot of people didn't care unless you were a fan of those three. And at that point it felt like what was the point.

(Seems like a lot of people watched it because of MatPat, and I still can't believe they invited the Syndicate after his child CS:GO gambling website scandal.)

At this point it does feel like they're selling us a soundtrack instead of a game. One cool thing I hope they start showing after SXSW is how the game works.

They could do videos or just tutorials with the mechanics of the game that do seem interesting and definitely need more awareness to show what makes this racing game unique.

16. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    We're 10.5 weeks away from launch, and there's no unedited gameplay showing progress between TGS and now. If SXSW doesn't go whole hog on gameplay, then the gameplay isn't substantial enough to stand on its own. Forces, with its minute-long demo and gameplay snippets felt the same way in its run-up.

17. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    It's a bit worrying but ultimately outside of some new tracks and car customization I don't think there's much else to show of the gameplay. It's a kart racer and we've already seen how it plays. We've seen every character and power up already and it's not like there's transformations or special moves.

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It says on the video he got a free trip to Japan out of it. Would you turn that down in his position? The biggest mystery is why Sega keeps getting someone who regularly shits on Sonic games to be in their PR material, but hey, large number of YouTube subscribers I guess.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh of course if I were in his position I would absolutely go. That's not the point though, the point is that they invited him in the first place. I know Game Grumps has a large following but they're not Sonic fans (yes I know, Arin likes a lot of the surrounding aspects of Sonic save for the actual games, even the good ones). I know the main Sonic youtubers aren't exactly internet famous but why not invite someone like SomecallmeJohnny? He has a sizable base and he actually likes Sonic.

20. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Because at the end of the day Arin's the most well known and has introduced a huge audience to the games, even if it's negatively. I'm sure part of it's also because he's seemingly had a sort of rapport with Aaron for a while.