Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Forces (PC/PS4/XB1/Switch) Hacking & Resources - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 11 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Forces (PC/PS4/XB1/Switch) Hacking & Resources

#31 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:58 PM

• Tech Support Hotline
  • Project:SonicGLvl

View PostDustArma, on 11 November 2017 - 01:54 PM, said:

Hm, so level mods would be easier to implement now that we don't have to worry about prebaking the lighting and GI?

Not quite.

It seems PAC files have progressed further (filenames can be extracted now) and there's some new info as a result.

• IBL Textures are there for each light probe, which makes perfect sense since PBR needs that to work properly.

• Ambient Occlusion is now baked into a texture (just like in Unleashed/Gens), but it's its own texture now instead of being part of the GI. Again, makes sense considering PBR needs AO to be a separate input.

• There's some other new texture for lighting that is almost completely white most of the time, and I haven't been able to deduce what it is yet.

Most of these still require the use of a renderer and pre-baking information, but it could be far less expensive to compute all things considered. And there's some actual good open-source alternatives for stuff like this! It could turn out to be significantly easier to develop a pipeline and generating some great quality lighting with that. There's honestly some pretty intensive work to do here once the formats are cracked.
This post has been edited by Dario FF: 11 November 2017 - 08:38 PM

#32 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:02 PM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1
so can the research here on Forces be applied to lost world as well? always hated that lost world turned into such a dead paperweight modding wise.

#33 User is offline Rubberduckycooly 

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:19 PM

is it possible to rip music yet?

I need that full infinite theme in my life

#34 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostRubberduckycooly, on 11 November 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

Yes that's always possible. but you're not going to like the next part:

Sonic Team/Hardlight screwed up and left a placeholder of the Episode Shadow map screen instead of the remix on the PC version. Also Infinite (vocal song) only plays in one cutscene covered in SFX.

#35 User is offline Rubberduckycooly 

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:50 PM

View PostLanzer, on 11 November 2017 - 09:28 PM, said:

Yes that's always possible. but you're not going to like the next part:

Sonic Team/Hardlight screwed up and left a placeholder of the Episode Shadow map screen instead of the remix on the PC version. Also Infinite (vocal song) only plays in one cutscene covered in SFX.

ah well, i guess i'll wait for an official release of the song then

#36 User is offline Herm the Germ 

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:40 AM

• Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor!
  • Project:MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
  • Wiki edits:5

View PostLanzer, on 11 November 2017 - 09:28 PM, said:

Sonic Team/Hardlight screwed up and left a placeholder of the Episode Shadow map screen instead of the remix on the PC version.

Wait, that's what's going on? Having avoided any kinds of spoilers, the theme didn't even feel too out of place. Wow.

The secrets of HE2's GI being unvealed in here look mighty impressive. One always wonders if SEGA could make some serious cash having other developers actually, y'know, get licenses for the use of HE for their games. <.<

#37 User is offline TiMan 

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:33 AM

• OH NO
Is it known how the physics are handled (coded to the exe or coded in some sort of a file)?

#38 User is offline Techokami 

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:15 PM

• For use only on NTSC Genesis systems
  • Project:Sonic Edge
  • Wiki edits:63

Yes, but there's some caveats, as I posted on the previous page of the thread:

View PostTechokami, on 11 November 2017 - 05:49 PM, said:

It seems the "boost effect" version of Modern Sonic's stage music is unnamed in the audio file table, so the filenames become "off by one" for each one. Hmmm.
EDIT: To add to this, the final boss music is actually split into 8 different files. What. Posted Image
EDIT 2: Okay, after hand-sorting and organizing the music myself, I ended up with some unused filenames:
00701_bgm_stg_ex01
00702_bgm_stg_ex02
00703_bgm_stg_ex03
00704_bgm_stg_ex04
00705_bgm_stg_ex05
00706_bgm_stg_ex06
00707_bgm_stg_ex07
00901_bgm_stg_sp01
00902_bgm_stg_sp02
00903_bgm_stg_sp03
00904_bgm_stg_sp04
00905_bgm_stg_sp05
00906_bgm_stg_sp06

And yeah, cutscene music has the voice acting baked in, so Infinite's theme is not available in a pure form.

#39 User is offline Windii 

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:20 PM

• 朴念仁のエッグマン

Oh my god. I was so confused when unaltered music straight from Shadow the Hedgehog began playing. I really hope this'll be modded one day.

Obviously there's always the official soundtrack option, but wow, this is Gens's console-only Sonic 1 bonus all over again. I feel robbed.
This post has been edited by Windii: 12 November 2017 - 01:23 PM

#40 User is offline Slash 

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:27 PM

View PostWindii, on 08 November 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

View PostSlash, on 07 November 2017 - 09:17 PM, said:

Ask and you shall receive, VGMToolbox-1045. I don't have the game files with me yet but I got someone else to test for me and it worked for them. Apparently the only issue is that the names get applied to the wrong files. Also a note to those who want to compile it manually, switch the compile settings to x86. For some reason, Any CPU doesn't work.

Oh man, it does seem to work now. This is amazing. I'm not currently sure if the file names are actually correct for each audio file, but I'm too happy at this point to get too deep into it. I hope snakemeat updates the tool soon.

Also, if the updated pac format is figured out, I hope there will be a way to make mods that remove the HUD, subtitles and that widescreen cropping overlay thing that's put on cutscenes, whatever that may be. The game's cinematics (+ pre-rendered stuff) are actually fully 1920x1080 but are cropped to 1920x936 in-game for some reason. It's minor stuff, I know, but it'll still help maintain quality and consistency for videos I plan to make. And everybody likes HUDless gameplay.

It's actually just a simple memory edit, add "Sonic Forces.exe"+20B3688 as 4 Byte in Cheat Engine and set it to 0 and make sure to make it active. However, it does sometimes appear, so I recommend pressing F6, right clicking the value that appears in the box when doing certain actions, and NOP the address. This should permanently disable the HUD for that current launch. HedgeModManager does have a code loader for Sonic Forces and it does come with a No HUD code, so you can just easily do that as well. Be aware that this also disables the HUD for the menus, basically making you blind for those portions only.

#41 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:40 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostHerm the Germ, on 12 November 2017 - 08:40 AM, said:

One always wonders if SEGA could make some serious cash having other developers actually, y'know, get licenses for the use of HE for their games. <.<

That was the entire point of the HE in the first place.

No one bit.

#42 User is offline TheBdude 

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:53 PM

• What do you mean, "your eMachine can't play Mania"?
I remember them saying they'd put it up for licensing, but did they actually ever do it?

#43 User is offline Dr. Mecha 

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:25 PM

• Project:3d Models
So there's no way to Fix Classic Sonic?

#44 User is offline urlogic 

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:47 PM

View PostDr. Mecha, on 12 November 2017 - 08:25 PM, said:

So there's no way to Fix Classic Sonic?

Well, nobody fixed him in Generations. I don't see why anyone would want to fix him in Forces.

#45 User is offline Irixion 

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:56 PM

• Project:Life
  • Wiki edits:152

View PostTheBdude, on 12 November 2017 - 06:53 PM, said:

I remember them saying they'd put it up for licensing, but did they actually ever do it?

Why would anyone want to use HE/HE2? It's not very "good". There's plenty of other engines that are much, much better. Hell, Sonic 06's engine was pretty robust for its time.

• 11 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users