Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Basic Questions & Answers thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 390 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 388
  • 389
  • 390
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Basic Questions & Answers thread NEWBIES: Start here!

#5836 User is offline Irixion 

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:33 PM

  • Posts: 1486
  • Joined: 30-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Project:Life
  • Wiki edits:152
Having some trouble here.


http://info.sonicret...B_Decompilation

This talks about the decompilation with chunkspy. However, it appears I need to recompile, since the game won't accept anything that hasn't been turned back into an .lub file. However my attempts at recompiling using chunkbake have been unfruitful. Can anyone assist? :(
This post has been edited by Irixion: 06 April 2017 - 11:26 PM

#5837 User is offline runde 

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:04 PM

  • Posts: 65
  • Joined: 23-August 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Deep in the gut of Texas
  • Project:What was I was supposed to do again?
Hey guys, I have a question before I do something stupid.

I got a Lupe standing sprite that I am sitting on. I am thinking about developing her moves and putting her in a hack for some stupid reason, but I got a problem. She's too big (63x43 w/ hair and tail, 16 colors that are close to 9bit, 36 tiles). I probably will have to add at most 24 tiles to the limit of the player object in order to make this Lupe swap work.

I think that I probably am going to do a bunch of byte shifting, memory address shifting or at the very worst, omit an object, but that's okay at this stage. I just want to see if it's possible hopefully without any deletion. Otherwise I'll go another way and thanks in advance!


Never mind, I got it.
This post has been edited by runde: 02 May 2017 - 03:28 PM

#5838 User is offline Jimmy Hedgehog 

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:15 PM

  • Posts: 1681
  • Joined: 13-December 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England - Slough
  • Project:RAoSTH (Sprite Comic), Sawnik (Still need a better name)
  • Wiki edits:2
So I've gone into working on my hack after a long time of not doing so, and I want to add a counter to the HUD, not too unlike the Ring counter. Basically as shown years prior I added a Boost, allocated this ability to a particular shield, and now I want to make this ability pull from its own resource rather than drain Rings, as I feel that's a bit harsh for a Shield power up but being able to do it constantly would be too much.

I know of course how to add and take from a value from other bits of code, and to stop it exceeding a particular amount. The thing I can't seem to remember is how I'd go about adding this thing in the first place. Like obviously it'd need some kind of free address to store this value and something to tell it to update which I have a rough idea of how the Rings, lives, etc do this but I've drawn a blank as to how to actually have this show as an onscreen figure.

I'm not asking this to be handed to me of course, but a point/prod in the right direction would be appreciated.

#5839 User is offline lordxernom 

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:07 AM

  • Posts: 29
  • Joined: 26-May 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Tails Adventure LX
How to load Special Stages from S3&K in Blue Balls program? (that one to edit Special Stages) I need this knowledge to make progress in my Sonic 3 And Windows hack that features custom art, SMPS and levels of course.

#5840 User is offline Ralakimus 

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:13 AM

  • Walk in silence, don't walk away in silence
  • Posts: 127
  • Joined: 16-April 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sekrit stuff and Sega Virtua Processor research

View PostJimmy Hedgehog, on 10 May 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

So I've gone into working on my hack after a long time of not doing so, and I want to add a counter to the HUD, not too unlike the Ring counter. Basically as shown years prior I added a Boost, allocated this ability to a particular shield, and now I want to make this ability pull from its own resource rather than drain Rings, as I feel that's a bit harsh for a Shield power up but being able to do it constantly would be too much.I know of course how to add and take from a value from other bits of code, and to stop it exceeding a particular amount. The thing I can't seem to remember is how I'd go about adding this thing in the first place. Like obviously it'd need some kind of free address to store this value and something to tell it to update which I have a rough idea of how the Rings, lives, etc do this but I've drawn a blank as to how to actually have this show as an onscreen figure. I'm not asking this to be handed to me of course, but a point/prod in the right direction would be appreciated.


Basically, you add to the HUD mappings what you want, and what you add to those mappings should point to an area in VRAM that will hold the art of what you want. In HudUpdate or whatever it's called, you can update the art in that VRAM space. Of course, that means you will need to find out where to find said VRAM space.

View Postlordxernom, on 12 May 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

How to load Special Stages from S3&K in Blue Balls program? (that one to edit Special Stages) I need this knowledge to make progress in my Sonic 3 And Windows hack that features custom art, SMPS and levels of course.


In Blue Balls, in the navigator on the top right, navigate to your disassembly, and go to General/Special Stage/Layout and then pick a layout file. Note that it will only edit S3's special stages, unless you do some fuckery with decompression and extraction with SK's layout files (I'm not too sure on how S3K handles them. All I know is that SK's layout data are in SK Set 1.bin and SK Set 2.bin).

#5841 User is offline lordxernom 

Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:58 AM

  • Posts: 29
  • Joined: 26-May 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Tails Adventure LX
Thank you Ralakimus. It works, when I'll finish my work you'll be credited in special thanks if you want.

#5842 User is offline nineko 

Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:17 AM

  • I am the Holy Cat
  • Posts: 5512
  • Joined: 17-August 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:italy
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251
More info: http://forums.sonicr...ndpost&p=364857

Basically, the 8 stages from S&K are in a single compressed "file", so you have to extract all of them, edit the one you want, and recompress the "file". Unfortunately, the archive with all the layouts I included in the linked post no longer works because the host terminated my account, and I don't have access to my local copy right now (it's on my other computer); however, feel free to contact me via Private Messages if you have further questions about Blue Balls at a later time :)

#5843 User is offline Jimmy Hedgehog 

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:28 AM

  • Posts: 1681
  • Joined: 13-December 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England - Slough
  • Project:RAoSTH (Sprite Comic), Sawnik (Still need a better name)
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostRalakimus, on 13 May 2017 - 12:13 AM, said:

View PostJimmy Hedgehog, on 10 May 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

So I've gone into working on my hack after a long time of not doing so, and I want to add a counter to the HUD, not too unlike the Ring counter. Basically as shown years prior I added a Boost, allocated this ability to a particular shield, and now I want to make this ability pull from its own resource rather than drain Rings, as I feel that's a bit harsh for a Shield power up but being able to do it constantly would be too much.I know of course how to add and take from a value from other bits of code, and to stop it exceeding a particular amount. The thing I can't seem to remember is how I'd go about adding this thing in the first place. Like obviously it'd need some kind of free address to store this value and something to tell it to update which I have a rough idea of how the Rings, lives, etc do this but I've drawn a blank as to how to actually have this show as an onscreen figure. I'm not asking this to be handed to me of course, but a point/prod in the right direction would be appreciated.


Basically, you add to the HUD mappings what you want, and what you add to those mappings should point to an area in VRAM that will hold the art of what you want. In HudUpdate or whatever it's called, you can update the art in that VRAM space. Of course, that means you will need to find out where to find said VRAM space.


Thanks for the reminder! I should have some free space to work with from the HUD itself honestly, since it only needs 3 8x8 tiles' worth (3 life counter sized numbers) and I have some space from having a more minimalist life icon/counter set up.

#5844 User is offline Chainspike 

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:58 PM

  • ?ZONE ACT 1¿
  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: 22-February 17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Death Egg Zone
  • Project:Untitled Sonic 3 & Knuckles Hack (delayed)
This is probably a stupid question, but does anyone happen to know where the code for the fail safe reset is located in the Sonic 3 & Knuckles disassembly? I was hoping to edit it a bit, but couldn't seem to find it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

#5845 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:55 PM

  • Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Posts: 3727
  • Joined: 14-August 09
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
The label is "ErrorTrap:", it does 3 NOPs and continues into the entry point, effectively resetting the game. In Sonic 2, it was 3 NOPs and a jump back to the ErrorTrap label, making an infinite loop.

#5846 User is offline Chainspike 

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:36 AM

  • ?ZONE ACT 1¿
  • Posts: 22
  • Joined: 22-February 17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Death Egg Zone
  • Project:Untitled Sonic 3 & Knuckles Hack (delayed)

View PostMainMemory, on 15 May 2017 - 10:55 PM, said:

The label is "ErrorTrap:", it does 3 NOPs and continues into the entry point, effectively resetting the game. In Sonic 2, it was 3 NOPs and a jump back to the ErrorTrap label, making an infinite loop.


Okay, thanks a lot. :)/>

  • 390 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 388
  • 389
  • 390
    Locked
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

  1. Bing