Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) - WARNING, SPOILERS - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 728 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) - WARNING, SPOILERS Developed by Christian Whitehead, Headcannon and PagodaWest

#10771 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:01 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204

View PostWAC, on 19 January 2018 - 04:28 PM, said:

RelaxAlex does an analysis of Flying Battery Zone and how it compares to the original level. I personally love both versions of the level, but the Sonic Mania version was definitely a nice improvement in level design.

Wow, it's Sequelitis if Arin didn't hate Sonic games so much =P

#10772 User is offline Neo 

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

• Clackerjack
  • Project:Sonic 3 Unlocked
  • Wiki edits:1
I've made a little pick-me-up album to complement the official soundtrack. Tried to match the style of the official album as close as I could. Contains all the Nakamura tracks, the & Knuckles ending track, but not the regular ending tracks (because of sound effects) or the Hyper Potions intro track (because go buy it goddammit).

https://mega.nz/#!J2...ZHKF90_OaFK-HMU

#10773 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

• Project:Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
  • Wiki edits:21

View PostWAC, on 19 January 2018 - 04:28 PM, said:

RelaxAlex does an analysis of Flying Battery Zone and how it compares to the original level. I personally love both versions of the level, but the Sonic Mania version was definitely a nice improvement in level design.

I really wanted to enjoy this analysis more but the "comedy" is really distracting and overall deters from the presentation of a serious analysis of the level design. It doesn't help that he had to do it every other moment.

He points out the original Flying Battery has lots of "waiting" sections, when his video as well could've been a lot shorter and to the point if he just cut the comedy a bit.

#10774 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:15 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostSparks, on 20 January 2018 - 04:36 PM, said:

He points out the original Flying Battery has lots of "waiting" sections, when his video as well could've been a lot shorter and to the point if he just cut the comedy a bit.

Nowadays, YouTube rewards longer videos over repeatedly viewed shorter ones, so that may be why.

#10775 User is offline WAC 

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:34 PM

• Project:???
  • Wiki edits:2
RelaxAlex regularly includes comedy bits. It's part of his style.

#10776 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:01 PM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN

View PostSparks, on 20 January 2018 - 04:36 PM, said:

I really wanted to enjoy this analysis more but the "comedy" is really distracting and overall deters from the presentation of a serious analysis of the level design. It doesn't help that he had to do it every other moment.

To be honest, although I didn't think his video was too bad for it, I've found forced excessive comedy tends to be a huge video killer for me. By all means have jokes, have punchlines sure, but not at the expense of the video's momentum.

What I always feel should be:

1) Informative bit
2) Humourous Comment/Joke/Reaction
3) Next informative bit

Usually ends up like:

1) Informative bit
2) Humourous Comment/Joke/Reaction
2a) CUT AWAY TO FOCUS ON THIS HUMOUROUS COMMENT/JOKE I JUST MADE <INSERT VIDEO EFFECTS> MORE REACTIONS - The punchline is long gone but MY SUBSCRIBERS ARE RISIING
3) Next informative bit

But eh, humour is subjective as fuck, and I'm probably just getting old and miserable so there ya go. :v:

#10777 User is offline Yeow 

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:07 PM

• Official moneylender for the Coalition of Muslim Drug Dealers
  • Project:college courses and holding crusades against anime trash
Roughly a month ago back in December (Dec. 22), Mania was near the bottom of the list of Switch eShop games at #18. As of the end of this week, Dec. 22 (and roughly five months since release), it's now risen to #12.

I think it's safe to say by now that Mania's starting to following in the footsteps of other classic Sonic games (in re-releases) of having a long shelf life after release....at least on the eShop, anyway. That in itself is almost ironic to think about, given the failure or non-splash of what's been a long line of Nintendo-exclusive games since 2013.

(If you're wondering where my wall of text concerning historic weekly Sonic sales charts went, click here.)
This post has been edited by Yeow: 20 January 2018 - 11:29 PM

#10778 User is offline Nemesis 

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:45 PM

• Wiki edits:6
A few of you may vaguely remember me. It's been a decade or so since I've been active here, and I've been out of the gaming scene in general for quite awhile.

I happened across a screenshot of something called "Sonic Mania" today, and for the first time in a long time it seemed like Sega might have managed to make a Sonic game that was half decent. 30 seconds into a youtube clip I was thinking "that looks like a pretty nice remake of GHZ", and then it swung underground in a seamless extension to the original level, and I was mesmerized. Were my eyes deceiving me? Had Sega cleared house and finally hired a team who genuinely cared about the franchise, and understood their long time fanbase? Who had they unearthed who knew how to put together a decent level for a 2D platformer? When the Wikipedia page dropped the names "Taxman" and "Stealth", I thought to myself, "Holy Crap! Yep, that'll do it!". Well done guys, this truly looks amazing. I've just bought my first new PC game in over a decade, and my first Sonic game in 17 years. I hope you get a decent cut of that sale price, you deserve it. Here's hoping this is just the beginning.

So, any chance of a GoG release? :)
This post has been edited by Nemesis: 20 January 2018 - 11:00 PM

#10779 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:28 PM

• Project:-
  • Wiki edits:22

So, any chance of a GoG release?

Lol no. They even added Denuvo to the game on steam. I heard from other publishers that SEGA is quite conservative concerning digital rights management :(.

#10780 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:36 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.

View PostNemesis, on 20 January 2018 - 10:45 PM, said:

A few of you may vaguely remember me. It's been a decade or so since I've been active here, and I've been out of the gaming scene in general for quite awhile.

Hey Nem, how is the laserdisc archival thing going?

#10781 User is offline Nemesis 

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:04 AM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostJaxTH, on 20 January 2018 - 11:36 PM, said:

A very fair question. In a word, slowly. A combination of life circumstances have meant I've had almost no time to work on this, so I've literally done bursts of a few dozen hours with 10 month breaks in between. The good news is things have settled down quite a bit in the last few months, and I'm picking up this project again. It's also very close, so with just a bit of consistent time I should be able to start doing releases. I haven't said anything publicly yet, because this has dragged on for so long and I want to release something concrete when I post next, but I'll announce something in the SpritesMind forum when I do.

#10782 User is offline XCubed 

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:47 AM

• Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center
  • Wiki edits:5

I happened across a screenshot of something called "Sonic Mania" today, and for the first time in a long time it seemed like Sega might have managed to make a Sonic game that was half decent. 30 seconds into a youtube clip I was thinking "that looks like a pretty nice remake of GHZ", and then it swung underground in a seamless extension to the original level, and I was mesmerized. Were my eyes deceiving me? Had Sega cleared house and finally hired a team who genuinely cared about the franchise, and understood their long time fanbase? Who had they unearthed who knew how to put together a decent level for a 2D platformer? When the Wikipedia page dropped the names "Taxman" and "Stealth", I thought to myself, "Holy Crap! Yep, that'll do it!". Well done guys, this truly looks amazing. I've just bought my first new PC game in over a decade, and my first Sonic game in 17 years. I hope you get a decent cut of that sale price, you deserve it. Here's hoping this is just the beginning.

So, any chance of a GoG release? :)/>/>

Well thank goodness you didn't come across “Sonic Forces” first! Glad you are enjoying Mania! Just ignore that steaming heap called Sonic Forces.

Edit: Beer makes me redundant.
This post has been edited by XCubed: 21 January 2018 - 12:48 AM

#10783 User is offline SystemsReady 

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:33 AM

• Project:Right now just focusing on getting this new PC machine all set up!
I wonder if Project Plus is actually PC ports of the original games? I'd imagine they'd use the same engine as Mania, maybe it accidentally got snuck in in the build process?

#10784 User is offline LukyHRE 

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:03 AM

• The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar
  • Project:Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
Nice to see you, Nemesis. Although I was lurker for +10 years until recently, I've known and respected many of the old sceners here. I always get curious of what long-time-gone oldbies think about the game :)

View PostSystemsReady, on 21 January 2018 - 01:33 AM, said:

I wonder if Project Plus is actually PC ports of the original games? I'd imagine they'd use the same engine as Mania, maybe it accidentally got snuck in in the build process?

It depends on the intended presentation. If they intend to release them independent of the main Mania executable (with a custom launcher, or a Steam selection box upon launching the game), it will surely be a DLC (and Plus is not a DLC).
If instead they want the remasters to be accessible from within Mania in the Main Menu, the content must be embedded in the Mania app, which justifies the Plus branch. The are games that opens another exe from within the game (like accessing Call of Duty multiplayer from the singleplayer exe) but I don't think it's likely in this case.

Nevertheless, I don't think Plus includes the remasters. Porting them to Mania engine (v5) involves a certain amount of development and testing, avoidable if they just release the remasters in their original engines (v4). Besides, having the remasters inside the Mania game can get the user experience quite messy.

Again, we have very little information, so it's all speculation for now.

#10785 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:57 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostNemesis, on 21 January 2018 - 12:04 AM, said:

View PostJaxTH, on 20 January 2018 - 11:36 PM, said:

I'm picking up this project again. It's also very close, so with just a bit of consistent time I should be able to start doing releases. I haven't said anything publicly yet, because this has dragged on for so long and I want to release something concrete when I post next, but I'll announce something in the SpritesMind forum when I do.

Sup Nem. You may want to check out whatever this is about, as some development on LaserDisc dumping may have been done while you were away.

(In case you weren't there when this happened, MAME now strives to emulate every non-arcade machine as well, since it merged with MESS)
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 21 January 2018 - 01:10 PM

• 728 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

7 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Oldbie: HEDGESMFG