Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: I made an MD/Genesis Game Jam game - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

I made an MD/Genesis Game Jam game it was for a 48 hour contest

#1 User is offline Bibin 

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:04 AM

• DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU.
  • Project:Ghost in the Machine
My roommate and I wrote a simple MD game in C using SGDK (though a lot of things we replaced with our own functions, more on that later...) and it was completed in 48 hours over a weekend. We placed second, losing to a paper boardgame (more on that never).

The game was supposed to play like a mix of Joust, Super Smash Bros, and Towerfall. The movement is heavily based on that of Towerfall in that you have a "dodge" mechanic to give a little more direction to a jump and also provide a strategic relocation. The players' only attack is a kind of "slap" move, which has a large start-up delay, so careful positioning can make the game competitive between two friends.

The game is little more than a demo at this point, but you can grab a friend and play some two-player. Your health is shown at the top of the screen. That is one of a few details that was not intended to be that way. Some day we may expand / remake this game into what we had actually intended, but for now it is okay for a 48 hour work. There are two stages in the game, chosen at a very poorly done random (I should have used the HV counter!)

The sound engine is Sik's Echo engine, which is perfect for the situation and my only gripe is that to my knowledge no native tracker exists. I am not good at making FM instruments yet so the music in this game is definitely lacking. As I get better at that hopefully the music I make for it improves.

However the physics engine did turn out very well for the players. It is extremely accurate and is mostly a port of what I used in Ghost in the Machine for PC. I will probably want to port that game to MD now, it should not be too hard.

This was a great intro to learning some basic MD programming, so I hope I can use this as a base and go from there.

Screenshots and ROM download link:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://mikejmoffitt.com/msa.bin

I would happily give away the source code but in the last 8 hours of the contest some really bad hack code got in there to "just make it work" in time, and I don't want anyone learning bad programming style from something like that, so I would like to clean it up first.
This post has been edited by Bibin: 17 October 2014 - 11:05 AM

#2 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:37 AM

• Wiki edits:18
You made this in just one weekend? Nice work! :thumbsup:

Just one thing: The buttons in the instructions are wrong (A is dash, B is slap, C is jump).

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users